Autopsy Round 10, 2022: Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

To me this is what we have him for, to come in when Steele goes down. We are playing a lower side so there is opportunity to test drive him without exposing ourselves too much. If he can't get in now when we look a player like him down I don't know if he'll get another contract.
Well I think he should look elsewhere. Windhager, Owen's, Byrnes ahead, with whomever we may or may not target in the off season.
Jeez things change quickly. Thought he was a shoo in for Dunny's spot. Still reckon he can play, and would be an asset for a young team like North.

Sharman is key to structure and team balance whereas Long isn't so much and can be more easily replaced

Having that extra key marking forward stretches the opposition defence and stops teams double teaming max or the resting ruck

Whilst Long has been handy at times I would prefer Clark or Higgo in but not at the expense of Sharman and the loss of forward structure
It will be good to see what they come up with this week knowing Ratten said they were tinkering with the tall's they had in the side and knowing our defensive pressure way down on the weekend they will most probably bring in another small into the forward line.

Whatever happens someone is getting dropped to make way for Hunter Clark.

He's still a gun, he just doesn't kick cleanly.
No doubting he’s an absolute gun, just frustrating watching someone so talented just completely butcher so many kicks.

Well I think he should look elsewhere. Windhager, Owen's, Byrnes ahead, with whomever we may or may not target in the off season.
Jeez things change quickly. Thought he was a shoo in for Dunny's spot. Still reckon he can play, and would be an asset for a young team like North.
I hope he stays. If only for depth, but he does have potential.

Gonna be hard to keep him when he is that far behind others though.

I think we are a bit excited by shiny new things. The kids are going to fluctuate in form and the guys who are partially developed are more likely to be able to play full matches in premium spots.

Clark's lack of defence worries me with Steele out. He can win contested ball but doesn't chase, Ross and Gresh aren't massively defensive either. Clark comes back in but perhaps moves back and frees up Sincs.

I hope he stays. If only for depth, but he does have potential.

Gonna be hard to keep him when he is that far behind others though.
It's nice that we're having this sort of discussion rather than "Who else should we delist because no one else will even look at them"

You'd think a Bytel would be looked at for midfield depth, at least, by any team outside the 8.

I'd not be unhappy if they left him with no option but to re-sign though ;)

Clark's lack of defence worries me with Steele out. He can win contested ball but doesn't chase, Ross and Gresh aren't massively defensive either. Clark comes back in but perhaps moves back and frees up Sincs.

I am sorry this is made up garbage. We have had some of the best pressure of any team all year. Everyone runs both ways. To say Seb Ross doesn't chase is laughable.

Gres and Clark aren't elite Langdon type two way runners but to say Clark doesn't chase is just made up. This has never been levelled at Clark except for your last few posts about him.
It is wrong and you have zero to base it on.

I am sorry this is made up garbage. We have had some of the best pressure of any team all year. Everyone runs both ways. To say Seb Ross doesn't chase is laughable.

Gres and Clark aren't elite Langdon type two way runners but to say Clark doesn't chase is just made up. This has never been levelled at Clark except for your last few posts about him.
Paddy Ryder stated 100% that Seb Ross is having an under-rated season, and while you don't see it on the screen he "saves us" regularly ... says to me that the resident whipping boy is a lot more appreciated by the team than by the fans.

Frankly, from what I've seen at the games I have made it to, he's fitter than he's been in years, and he is busting a gut every time he has a chance to influence the play. About the only thing he isn't doing is kicking goals, and he's never been a big goalkicker anyway, so I'm taking Saint Paddy's word for it that he's doing exactly what the team needs.

Watched him play VFL on the weekend, he might be saving himself but he wasn't chasing. Well if he can't stay as a mid long term I think you'll find that's the knock. I've said it for a long time, he's never held his spot there and that's despite his numbers looking excellent and playing well to the eye.

All players defend and do run but some like Steele are genuine 2 was mids. Crouch has become one but most of the others are adequate rather than good at it.

Paddy Ryder stated 100% that Seb Ross is having an under-rated season, and while you don't see it on the screen he "saves us" regularly ... says to me that the resident whipping boy is a lot more appreciated by the team than by the fans.

Frankly, from what I've seen at the games I have made it to, he's fitter than he's been in years, and he is busting a gut every time he has a chance to influence the play. About the only thing he isn't doing is kicking goals, and he's never been a big goalkicker anyway, so I'm taking Saint Paddy's word for it that he's doing exactly what the team needs.

I'd say everyone has pointed out how fantastic his season has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seb has been getting talked up by many here this season... including people (myself included) who haven't rated him in the past

Damnit Gresham his disposal continues to be horrific. A few years ago he was a class player I don’t know what happened. Just hit the easy one out on the right instead of trying to pull of a kick he’s nowhere near capable of making.

Speaking of which 15 contested possessions for Gresham which was our highest, and judging by his CBA numbers he didn’t even play a full game in the midfield. There’s just no way we can play him anywhere but the middle with Steele out.
Clearly the worst kick in the side. He does other things though so I see why they play him, and you mentioned some of them. He's a bull that goes in and gets it out...he just needs to then give it off to literally anyone rather than kick it himself.

Gresham is important in linking the play.
If he gets possession at half back he will invariably jink to on side (usually left) then run to the opposite side (his right), throwing his near opponent and the opposition back half.
Our forwards seem to always run to that fat side when he does this.

Clearly the worst kick in the side. He does other things though so I see why they play him, and you mentioned some of them. He's a bull that goes in and gets it out...he just needs to then give it off to literally anyone rather than kick it himself.

You're tripping if you think we are carrying him. He's made a massive difference this year. He's a proper line breaker and has rare talent, he's as close as we have to a Dusty type who can make massive impact per disposal even if he's wayward in his kicking.

Still early days on Bytel, his kicking can improved with practice and dedication.

I think his disposal is excellent for an inside mid. It's his low numbers that hurt him.

You're tripping if you think we are carrying him. He's made a massive difference this year. He's a proper line breaker and has rare talent, he's as close as we have to a Dusty type who can make massive impact per disposal even if he's wayward in his kicking.
I don't, but he has his limitations as a player and his kicking is a detriment to the side.

Still early days on Bytel, his kicking can improved with practice and dedication.
I was talking about Gresham there. I actually think Bytel is a good kick which is why it would be nice to see him rack up more disposals week in week out.

What’s frustrating about Gresham is he started as a good kick but went way downhill. If he fixes that up he’s got Gary Ablett of 2019+20 potential that’s how good I think he can be.

Not concerned for Bytel yet. His first season was a right off with back surgery. He then had to deal with Covid when he finally was able to play and could only play in minimum number of scratch matches. Last year was his first full season and he played 13 games. He then had a setback over pre season where he missed a large chunk of pre season.
If by this time next year he still hasn't cracked a game in the senior side then he might be on the way out.
Good situation for the club to have some depth in our midfield.

I don't, but he has his limitations as a player and his kicking is a detriment to the side.

It's not ideal but it's his only down side IMO. Everything else is close to star quality. Plenty of the best players are messy kicks. He could do with dropping them in lower but sometimes munting the ball in is more effective than easy to read ones that get cut off.

Correct! A couple players can have suspect disposal if they’re high impact in other ways. Just means that the regular soldiers need to tidy up and have quality disposal.

It's not ideal but it's his only down side IMO. Everything else is close to star quality. Plenty of the best players are messy kicks. He could do with dropping them in lower but sometimes munting the ball in is more effective than easy to read ones that get cut off.
I don't want him dropping them in at all haha. Get the ball out of congestion and feed it off. He isn't the type to be hitting up the forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back