Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m hoping for a big crowd next Sunday. Two of the oldest traditional rivalry in the AFL renewed at the MCG.
The Blues are top 4 and coming off 4 successive wins. Their fans will have been looking forward to the coming three game streak against the Maggies, Bombers and Tigers for weeks.
I think we are going to see a very big turnout from the Blues. Maggies are 5 and 5 coming off a win and only 2 wins out of the top 4 themselves. Given decent weather a few years ago this would have been 80,000. This year I think the 73 to 75,000 range is easily gettable and it could be higher.

These next three games for Carlton will be absolutely enjoyable for their supporters.
Big crowds to turn up and further consolidate their ranking for most watched club I reckon ahead of Richmond by the end of the theee week block.

They will get 75,000 v Pies ( biggest rival!)
They will get 65,000 -70,000 v Bombers (Essendon’s 150th year celebration game)
They will get 65,000 v Tigers (both teams playing decent)

They couldn’t get these three clubs on successive Thursday night fixtures in 2020 due to covid but the will get them in this way :)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

These next three games for Carlton will be absolutely enjoyable for their supporters.
Big crowds to turn up and further consolidate their ranking for most watched club I reckon ahead of Richmond by the end of the theee week block.

They will get 75,000 v Pies ( biggest rival!)
They will get 65,000 -70,000 v Bombers (Essendon’s 150th year celebration game)
They will get 65,000 v Tigers (both teams playing decent)

They couldn’t get these three clubs on successive Thursday night fixtures in 2020 due to covid but the will get them in this way :)

It’s annoying that all 3 are away games for Carlton though. Crowds would definitely be bigger if they were carlton home games.

It’s annoying that all 3 are away games for Carlton though. Crowds would definitely be bigger if they were carlton home games.
Not necessarily. Take the Essendon match for example. I contend the only possible way you will get Essendon supporters to this match is because Essendon will heavily promote it being its 150th ‘celebration’ game. Given Essendon are its lowest ebb on field, only a big milestone promotion could achieve a somewhat respectable Essendon turn up.

If it was a Carlton home game I reckon you’d only get 55,000 turn up. Given its a milestone occasion that Essendon will heavily promote, it may draw 60,000.

Either way Essendon’s basement like efforts in 2022 will have a significant impact on the crowd.

I’d also argue the Tigers home game will arguably draw better too. Tigers fans are invested and there’s no reason why they won’t draw their full compliment.

I think you're forgetting Collingwood.

We start 63k ahead of Carlton and obviously it will remain exactly that amount after next week.

We then have Hawthorn and the Queen's Birthday clash after that.

Would be surprised if Collingwood aren't on top at that point, although we would be unlikely to stay there if we are not in contention for finals.

Doubt it would make any difference at all. Collingwood will bring the fans as the home team this Sunday coming off a win. Richmond will definitely bring the fans as the home team.
Being a Thursday night game with work and school the next day I have no doubt it will affect both teams' supporters, more so Carlton than Richmond being the away team, and I would say the same if it was the other way around.
If it was Friday/Sat id say mid to high 70's but on Thurs night I think 60-65K max.

Essendon, I understand your meaning because they ain't playing well but they're still bringing decent numbers.

Last edited:

Richmond is 112,166 ahead of Carlton in attendances. In the next 3 games sure Blues will close the gap a lot but won't be ahead as the 3rd game in that block is against Richmond, so that cancels each other out.

On a positive note, there are not many tickets left for Coll / Carl on Sunday. The Warne & Ponsford Stands have only random scattered seats available and are otherwise sold out. There are still seats available in some bays in the top level of the Olympic Stand but only Row W or higher. AFL members only has the back of the top level available.

I'm tipping the biggest crowd between the two since 2013. 80k now a possibility.

On a positive note, there are not many tickets left for Coll / Carl on Sunday. The Warne & Ponsford Stands have only random scattered seats available and are otherwise sold out. There are still seats available in some bays in the top level of the Olympic Stand but only Row W or higher. AFL members only has the back of the top level available.

I'm tipping the biggest crowd between the two since 2013. 80k now a possibility.

Absolutely massive effort Pies & Blues fans! Gosh if only we were any good.. the Big 4 teams being successful/half decent would be great for the league.

Absolutely massive effort Pies & Blues fans! Gosh if only we were any good.. the Big 4 teams being successful/half decent would be great for the league.

Can’t see it happening unfortunately - if the bombers are ever any good in the near future, then Richmond would be in rebuild mode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reasons for the drop in crowds are easy to see for starters Adelaide and West Coast are not going to make the eight and their normal sellout crowds are way down add to that Collingwood and esp Essendon two of the big four Vic clubs who are also very having ordinary seasons.
Both North and GWS are also struggling and their supporters esp North are not prepared to go and watch thrashings no matter where they play.
On top of those obvious reasons Covid is still having an impact esp among older supporters and fans have had over two years to get used to staying home and watching on their big TVs!.

I think crowds will improve over time and it is not quite panic stations just yet!

The reasons for the drop in crowds are easy to see for starters Adelaide and West Coast are not going to make the eight and their normal sellout crowds are way down add to that Collingwood and esp Essendon two of the big four Vic clubs who are also very having ordinary seasons.
Both North and GWS are also struggling and their supporters esp North are not prepared to go and watch thrashings no matter where they play.
On top of those obvious reasons Covid is still having an impact esp among older supporters and fans have had over two years to get used to staying home and watching on their big TVs!.

I think crowds will improve over time and it is not quite panic stations just yet!
To be fair, North and GWS at the moment are probably accounting for a 1% drop in crowds. It’s definitely the Adelaide and west Coast factors, along with COVID.

GA seats is nearly exhausted for Sunday. Do I hear 90,000 ?!

GA seats is nearly exhausted for Sunday. Do I hear 90,000 ?!

Anzac day is always sold out though and usually only gets in the 80s. I've got a question to anybody that knows, does the home team get all profits from big games like this or do the AFL get some money from it too?

Anzac day is always sold out though and usually only gets in the 80s. I've got a question to anybody that knows, does the home team get all profits from big games like this or do the AFL get some money from it too?

Depends on the game.

Essendon and Richmond share the Dreamtime gate each year as it works in both their interests to promote it. I’d be surprised if other clubs did not do similar.

Richmond and Carlton did the same for round 1 until a couple of years ago I believe if broke down. I may be wrong on that.

These one off blockbusters would be to the benefit of the home to only it would’ve safe to assume.

Pies, Eagles and COVID bring significant drop in crowds

Its behind a paywall but some interesting quotes include:

“The Australian Government has declared four pandemics: influenza in 1918, 1957 to 1959, 1968 to 1970 and 2009, and the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020 to (hopefully) 2022. The data is too patchy for the 2018 pandemic, but for 1957 and 1968 pandemics the league’s average attendance certainly declined.

In 1957, the VFL’s attendance hit a then all-time high of 25,589, only to decline to 23,359 by 1960. Again, prior to the 1968 pandemic crowds hit an average of 26,362 before falling to 22,997 during 1968. There was a very small decline in 2009 versus 2008 for good measure.

The most obvious answer here is the correct one: COVID is still lingering, and enough people are staying away from big events that it’s showing up in the numbers.”

“And what do you know, looking at this week’s chart, there are a couple of teams which stick out. The decline in average attendance at Collinwood and West Coast home games is responsible for almost three quarters of the average decline across the league. The Pies have gone from an average of 58,975 in 2019 to 37,732 in 2022.

The Eagles were riding high in the second year at Optus Stadium with an average attendance of 53,513 – their support has collapsed to 33,932 per game. If maintained, it would be West Coast’s lowest average attendance since 2001.

Not far behind the top two is Fremantle, where the average crowd has declined from 40,896 to 26,965. Adding West Coast and Fremantle together suggests the average Optus Stadium home crowd has declined from 47,204 to 30,448 – a stunning decline of 36%.

Back to the central point: the decline in home game attendance in Western Australia accounts for about 71% of the overall decline in AFL attendance between 2019 and 2022. And what’s going on in Western Australia? The pandemic is roaring after years of being quelled by government policy and a fair dose of luck.”

—————

That’s an Interesting take on previous pandemics – I wasn’t aware of pandemics in 1957 to 59 and 1968 to 70.

Its pretty obvious the reporter has got their data from here AFL Tables - Fremantle - Crowds as its not up to date, as its missing last weeks crowd figs from the Freo v Coll match.

The first few Optus Stadium games this season were all crowd limited to roughly 75% which the article fails to mention.

The Collingwood home ave is also pretty misleading as our home games so far include Ade, WCE, GC and none against the big 4 clubs.

But our away ave is 55,282 which is the highest by a mile as it includes matches against Rich and Ess.

Pies, Eagles and COVID bring significant drop in crowds

Its behind a paywall but some interesting quotes include:

“The Australian Government has declared four pandemics: influenza in 1918, 1957 to 1959, 1968 to 1970 and 2009, and the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020 to (hopefully) 2022. The data is too patchy for the 2018 pandemic, but for 1957 and 1968 pandemics the league’s average attendance certainly declined.

In 1957, the VFL’s attendance hit a then all-time high of 25,589, only to decline to 23,359 by 1960. Again, prior to the 1968 pandemic crowds hit an average of 26,362 before falling to 22,997 during 1968. There was a very small decline in 2009 versus 2008 for good measure.

The most obvious answer here is the correct one: COVID is still lingering, and enough people are staying away from big events that it’s showing up in the numbers.”

“And what do you know, looking at this week’s chart, there are a couple of teams which stick out. The decline in average attendance at Collinwood and West Coast home games is responsible for almost three quarters of the average decline across the league. The Pies have gone from an average of 58,975 in 2019 to 37,732 in 2022.

The Eagles were riding high in the second year at Optus Stadium with an average attendance of 53,513 – their support has collapsed to 33,932 per game. If maintained, it would be West Coast’s lowest average attendance since 2001.

Not far behind the top two is Fremantle, where the average crowd has declined from 40,896 to 26,965. Adding West Coast and Fremantle together suggests the average Optus Stadium home crowd has declined from 47,204 to 30,448 – a stunning decline of 36%.

Back to the central point: the decline in home game attendance in Western Australia accounts for about 71% of the overall decline in AFL attendance between 2019 and 2022. And what’s going on in Western Australia? The pandemic is roaring after years of being quelled by government policy and a fair dose of luck.”

—————

That’s an Interesting take on previous pandemics – I wasn’t aware of pandemics in 1957 to 59 and 1968 to 70.

Its pretty obvious the reporter has got their data from here AFL Tables - Fremantle - Crowds as its not up to date, as its missing last weeks crowd figs from the Freo v Coll match.

The first few Optus Stadium games this season were all crowd limited to roughly 75% which the article fails to mention.

The Collingwood home ave is also pretty misleading as our home games so far include Ade, WCE, GC and none against the big 4 clubs.

But our away ave is 55,282 which is the highest by a mile as it includes matches against Rich and Ess.

Gill was on the radio today, he reckons the general admission ticket sales are roughly the same as 2019, it's reserved seat members not showing up is the drop off. So really it doesn't make much difference to the coffers of the AFL and the clubs as those empty seats are paid for anyway.

Yes, that’s a ridiculous comparison in that article. The best home game we’ve had so far is Geelong, probably the 6th best team we could hope to get. Adelaide, GC, Geelong, Bulldogs (Docklands), West Coast (Docklands) isn’t going to break any attendance records.

Come back in 3 weeks when we’ve had Carlton and then Queen’s Birthday home games and our home average will be suddenly pushing 50k.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back