The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the reports of Peter Dutton running for the leadership unopposed correct? If so it is a very dark day for the Liberal Party.

Yeah pretty much. Crazy times.

Are the reports of Peter Dutton running for the leadership unopposed correct? If so it is a very dark day for the Liberal Party.
Karen Andrews was on ABC (last night our time, AM Aus time) saying him and the corrupt Sussan Ley would run unapposed as Leader and Deputy.

It was already pretty dark that he was who they had 3rd in line for the role. Shouldn't be anywhere near leading the party

It was already pretty dark that he was who they had 3rd in line for the role. Shouldn't be anywhere near leading the party
There seems to be a real lack of young talent coming through in politics in Australia and around the world. Those that are coming through appear to be at the more extreme end of the political spectrum.

There are a couple of decent ones over here but I fear they will be caught up in their parties bullshit and be guilty by association. It's probably the same in Aus and I just don't know about it.

There seems to be a real lack of young talent coming through in politics in Australia and around the world. Those that are coming through appear to be at the more extreme end of the political spectrum.

There are a couple of decent ones over here but I fear they will be caught up in their parties bullshit and be guilty by association. It's probably the same in Aus and I just don't know about it.

The young talent in the Liberal party got turfed though, that's what sucks.

It’s just an unbelievable misread of the election results. They’ve somehow seen the swing towards the Greens and Independents as proof that their policies weren’t far enough to the ‘right’. I’m no Coalition fan but I would’ve thought if anything it showed they needed to at least come to the party on big picture issues like climate change.

The election result was a bit of a disaster for them, but the numbers in enough key seats show they only really need some relatively small swings back their way at the next election. Putting Dutton in charge is the worst possible start for them.

It’s just an unbelievable misread of the election results. They’ve somehow seen the swing towards the Greens and Independents as proof that their policies weren’t far enough to the ‘right’. I’m no Coalition fan but I would’ve thought if anything it showed they needed to at least come to the party on big picture issues like climate change.

The election result was a bit of a disaster for them, but the numbers in enough key seats show they only really need some relatively small swings back their way at the next election. Putting Dutton in charge is the worst possible start for them.
Even Dave Sharma has called this out, but also then said that Dutton is the best choice??

Even Dave Sharma has called this out, but also then said that Dutton is the best choice??

Who's the better choice amongst their options?

He's the perfect opposition leader in the Abbott mould from their POV.

Who's the better choice amongst their options?

He's the perfect opposition leader in the Abbott mould from their POV.
Maybe it is a sign of where the party is at that the acknowledgement that their policies need to become more progressive occurs alongside their only realistic option for leader being the opposite.

They don't have anyone else who isn't a complete unknown to the average punter. Frydenburg would've been plan A but he lost his seat. Birmingham can't be leader because he's a senator.
Dutton is probably warming the bench until they can parachute him back in somewhere.

They don't have anyone else who isn't a complete unknown to the average punter. Frydenburg would've been plan A but he lost his seat.
Dutton is probably warming the bench until they can parachute him back in somewhere.

I think Frydenberg is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shooting guns at a firing range in Vegas was fun. Heaps of fun. Looking around at others shooting and enjoying themselves. Admit it was great fun. But then we got taking to locals….

. Some Bemoaned our gun laws saying it’s the only thing wrong with Australia.

Ok
I remember a sad case in States years ago where a guy at shooting range brought his very young son (7-8 yo). At this range you could fire those small uzi . The recoil made the gun turn up and kid shot himself in the head. A few years later a 9 yo girl killed her instructor when uzi again recoiled. Only in America

I remember a sad case in States years ago where a guy at shooting range brought his very young son (7-8 yo). At this range you could fire those small uzi . The recoil made the gun turn up and kid shot himself in the head. A few years later a 9 yo girl killed her instructor when uzi again recoiled. Only in America

Actually goood point one bloke I spoke to did say he takes his son out shooting. Memory sketchy but not surprising if he was around nine.

I didn’t see any kids at the range
Seems we’re lucky there’s no one with such power in politics who are pro firearms as such.

Thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families, now is not the time for discussion on gun control” etc etc. Just a horrendous, toxic cycle. So ******* messed up. Awful stuff.

I’ve heard that line, word for word, for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back