List Mgmt. 2022 Senior List - The Final TWO Spots

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know, but if Cottrell hurt his finger karate chopping an opponent and then showed dissent...

...It would be a whinging infringing fringe ginger ninja's injured finger...

Just hope it's a stinger that doesn't linger...

could this thread get any cringer?
200.gif

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I think we need a Levi type, rather than a pure ruck.
Somebody who can fill a spot as a ruck, or a key forward, or a key back. They can cover injuries in any of those areas, without demanding a best 22 spot, or unbalancing our development in the 2s.

Ballenden sounds like the right 'type', probably doesn't get to our pick.
But I don't think we should have 4 rucks on the list with only TDK a legit forward option of the 4.

Do we need a ruck? I feel getting a ruck would indicate the club feels that state player we pick is more ready than Mirkov.

Would love a forward ruck and key defender.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Ballenden is more of a key defender and won the B&F for Lions reserves last year playing as a key defender including games where he had in excess of 30 disposals.He is a reasonable ruckman who generally gives a good contest, but is a great intercept defender with a really good kick. Can play forward as well, I have seen him play a lot in Brisbane and there was genuine shock when he was delisted. He was one of the best players when Carlton reserves played Brisbane reserves. O'Brien had something to prove, and that sounds a dominant game, but I wouldn't discount Ballenden on one game, when he has done well enough in SA to be named to the state team and acquitted himself well in that game.

Any chance of there being 'personal' issues that led to his delisting?

I guess Brisbane are relatively stacked for key defenders with Andrews, Gardiner, Adams and Payne. There may be another im not aware of too.

marcmurphy3

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Ballenden is more of a key defender and won the B&F for Lions reserves last year playing as a key defender including games where he had in excess of 30 disposals.He is a reasonable ruckman who generally gives a good contest, but is a great intercept defender with a really good kick. Can play forward as well, I have seen him play a lot in Brisbane and there was genuine shock when he was delisted. He was one of the best players when Carlton reserves played Brisbane reserves. O'Brien had something to prove, and that sounds a dominant game, but I wouldn't discount Ballenden on one game, when he has done well enough in SA to be named to the state team and acquitted himself well in that game.

Fair point. Didnt realise he could play key defence. In that case his versatility could be handy. Noticed he won the lions reserves b&f last year. Odd he got delisted after that. Its not like they are stacked with great KPP.

BrisbaneBlue

Senior List
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair point. Didnt realise he could play key defence. In that case his versatility could be handy. Noticed he won the lions reserves b&f last year. Odd he got delisted after that. Its not like they are stacked with great KPP.
They have quality key position players. They have Andrews, Adams, Gardiner, Payne, and Lester down back. Forwards Daniher, McStay, Hipwood, Fullarton, and in the ruck McInerney, Lane, Smith, and Fort. Not sure why he was delisted given the season he had last year.

BrisbaneBlue

Senior List
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Any chance of there being 'personal' issues that led to his delisting?

I guess Brisbane are relatively stacked for key defenders with Andrews, Gardiner, Adams and Payne. There may be another im not aware of too.
From what I know he was popular with the players as he was a Lions Academy player who was highly regarded in his draft year. My son is an underager in Brisbane who has a bit to do with the Lions academy and Ballenden is highly regarded by the players, although he is apparently a quiet guy. I haven't heard of any personal issues, but I think as a player who grew up in Brisbane and then ended up playing for Brisbane he may not have been "hungry". I expect the delisting may have been a kick up the backside that motivated him to go to SA and perform. I know when he was delisted they offerred him a contract to stay on their VFL list.

I also think players from non-AFL states take longer to develop as the Lions and Suns academy (potentially GWS and Swans academy as well) don't play many games and focus mainly on individual players and less on team structure. That show in the results when they play against Victorian underage development teams such as Gellong Falcons, Western Jets, Dandenong, etc

Last edited:

swuzzlebubble

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2007
Royal Pde
AFL Club
Carlton
I like Zac Strom who is a 198cm swingman and AFL ready. I'd initially use him as a KPD and use Young as a KPF/Ruck until McKay returns. Strom is an absolute professional off the field and been a solid performer for South Freo for years. Reckon he'd fit right in to a fast-maturing Blues side. Luckily he's not 30 yet so the Cats are unlikely to be interested.

There's some genuinely interesting young KPPs & Rucks to have a look at:
  • Max Ramsden 202cm Ruck who can do 2km at 6:04. Doubt he gets to us.
  • Fletcher Hart 199cm KPF and still 18yo.
  • Mutaz El Nour 192+cm defender. Supposedly grown a bit if you believe afl.com.au

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton

Zac Strom

Fremantle and Brisbane both showed strong interest in Strom during the pre-season supplemental selection period, but neither club was able to invite the South Fremantle utility to train ahead of the deadline because of his ineligibility. The 28-year-old chiropractor has built an impressive professional career away from football, but was prepared to put his life on hold when the Dockers and Lions showed interest in February and is still hoping they come knocking on June 1. The 198cm utility has been a star for South Fremantle in the WAFL for a long time and could plug some holes for AFL sides in the second half of 2022.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Zac Strom

Fremantle and Brisbane both showed strong interest in Strom during the pre-season supplemental selection period, but neither club was able to invite the South Fremantle utility to train ahead of the deadline because of his ineligibility. The 28-year-old chiropractor has built an impressive professional career away from football, but was prepared to put his life on hold when the Dockers and Lions showed interest in February and is still hoping they come knocking on June 1. The 198cm utility has been a star for South Fremantle in the WAFL for a long time and could plug some holes for AFL sides in the second half of 2022.

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers

Zac Strom

Kinda sounds perfect. Need someone ready to play for 3-4 years while we draft some kids to fill the age gaps.

no fate

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
If we took Sam Durdin we'd be going back to the 2014 draft 'gold mine' that has so far netted us (oh boy):

Jarrod Pickett
Caleb Marchbank
Jarrod Garlett
Blaine Boekhorst
Hugh Goddard
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
Mitch McGovern
Marc Pittonet
Oscar McDonald
Clem Smith
Jayden Foster
Josh Deluca

There was some gold in that draft too, would be nice to get back in the old time machine and make some different decisions there, Touk Miller instead of BB or DVR would have been a good start.

Inb4 any potential complaints about this summation, yes Pitto goes OK, and our 3 "M"s from the current backline might theoretically be alright if they could get on the park. Our team would want for nothing if they'd been durable.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
^^^

In last year's MSD (small sample).... 7 of the 22 selections were rucks. And project ones at that... avg 19yo.

You'd never(-ish) get 7 rucks selected in the top 22 picks of the National Draft.

Just an example of how MSD strategy means other players can 'slide'...
Stop making so much sense
1653475271757.gif

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
From what I know he was popular with the players as he was a Lions Academy player who was highly regarded in his draft year. My son is an underager in Brisbane who has a bit to do with the Lions academy and Ballenden is highly regarded by the players, although he is apparently a quiet guy. I haven't heard of any personal issues, but I think as a player who grew up in Brisbane and then ended up playing for Brisbane he may not have been "hungry". I expect the delisting may have been a kick up the backside that motivated him to go to SA and perform. I know when he was delisted they offerred him a contract to stay on their VFL list.

I also think players from non-AFL states take longer to develop as the Lions and Suns academy (potentially GWS and Swans academy as well) don't play many games and focus mainly on individual players and less on team structure. That show in the results when they play against Victorian underage development teams such as Gellong Falcons, Western Jets, Dandenong, etc

My guess is he'll be taken by a team like North or Adelaide who really need key defenders in their best 22. For Ballenden, who has named contract terms, makes sense to go somewhere he's likely to be best 22 and have a long career.

Realistically we have very good talls and it may be difficult for him to be anything but depth.

WalshYouLegend

23: POTF 22: u22 21: B&F/AA 20: MOTY 19: RS 18: 1
Aug 10, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

Zac Strom

As a qualified chiropractor this guy is TWO for one. We get his excellent positional services plus he'll fix up Oscar McDonald's back and have him on field again within a week too. Fantastic!

😆

Last edited:
Back