VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

But he was drafted as a forward. So he's obviously shown enough to get drafted and they could at least give him a proper crack there.
So strange we drafted him as a forward yet we tried him as a defender and wing first.

And no surprise, plays his best game for the season and as Bachelor put it, showed some arrogance and a real presence for the first time. We need to leave him there, even if he has a poor game, because it is so hard for a young player to improve with no consistency week to week.

But he was drafted as a forward. So he's obviously shown enough to get drafted and they could at least give him a proper crack there.
Whether he’d shown enough to get drafted is a debate for another day but he was given a good go up forward in his first few games at sandy last year but he might as well have been in the stands with the amount of ball he was finding. It’s very easy to say after one good game that “this is where he should be played!” But he wasn’t moved to the backline for no reason. Hopefully this is the start of some good form.

Not really - he was drafted as a key position prospect who can "operate forward of the ball, in defence or on the wing."

Given his very late growth spurt, the fact that he played a number of positions and his disrupted development - I think they saw him as a future player more than someone who played a particular position.

Given his development history, playing in the back half to start with was logical - hopefully we will see him more forward as the year progresses. There were a couple of things he did last week that made you take notice.

Anybody know why Adams didn't play last week? Injured or rested?

1653513567640.png

Whether he’d shown enough to get drafted is a debate for another day but he was given a good go up forward in his first few games at sandy last year but he might as well have been in the stands with the amount of ball he was finding. It’s very easy to say after one good game that “this is where he should be played!” But he wasn’t moved to the backline for no reason. Hopefully this is the start of some good form.

It's an old coaching move to stick players behind the ball to get some easy touches but it didn't work. He looks like we want him to be a running tall in the Couta mould. I think Ratts hoped that Batts was that but hasn't been able to give up the dream of finding one.

How was Bytel's run and spread? How's his tank going?

I don't think he spreads particularly well but he keeps up with the play okay. I thought he was good without being excellent. I think his one dimensional game is going to make it hard by the look of it.

Bytel looks a bit slow to the naked eye, but he somehow seems to always be amongst it and collects good possession numbers. He might still not be at peak fitness, given he had to do a mini preseason in around March.

It's an old coaching move to stick players behind the ball to get some easy touches but it didn't work. He looks like we want him to be a running tall in the Couta mould. I think Ratts hoped that Batts was that but hasn't been able to give up the dream of finding one.
Nar that's massive overreach. We needed one on his type on our list and obviously the better players were gone by pick 26.

He is part of the tapestry of list management that us nuffies don't get to know about.

Whilst we're all screaming for mids they draft Allison, Highmore, Heath and Coops.
We know SFA about it.

Nar that's massive overreach. We needed one on his type on our list and obviously the better players were gone by pick 26.

He is part of the tapestry of list management that us nuffies don't get to know about.

Whilst we're all screaming for mids they draft Allison, Highmore, Heath and Coops.
We know SFA about it.
Probably cause they knew they were getting Owens and windy in the next year

So strange we drafted him as a forward yet we tried him as a defender and wing first.

And no surprise, plays his best game for the season and as Bachelor put it, showed some arrogance and a real presence for the first time. We need to leave him there, even if he has a poor game, because it is so hard for a young player to improve with no consistency week to week.
He seems to be the first bloke picked to plug a gap anywhere else. When Joyce was called up, he got chucked into FB and was spanked.

I totally agree with you he needs to be left forward and allowed a consistent run, ala Battle. Really hope he keeps improving and is winning a few hearts by the end of the season. We've backed him in with a long contract for a reason. Let's give him a go.

Who says we drafted him as a forward?
What makes you think that a kid who'd played about 3 games in 2 years was stamped as anything at all?

Who says we drafted him as a forward?
What makes you think that a kid who'd played about 3 games in 2 years was stamped as anything at all?
When our recruiters say in an interview a few days before the draft that we are looking to recruit a forward then we use our first pick on someone described in every draft profile as a key forward, it would be safe to assume we drafted him to be a forward.

When our recruiters say in an interview a few days before the draft that we are looking to recruit a forward then we use our first pick on someone described in every draft profile as a key forward, it would be safe to assume we drafted him to be a forward.
Yet the coaches also say that they're playing him in a variety of positions for development, but that holds no weight.
Maybe, since he was better up forward this time than a year ago, that development program actually worked.
But no, the coaches and dumb for trying to turn him into a defender and then a winger for no reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet the coaches also say that they're playing him in a variety of positions for development, but that holds no weight.
Maybe, since he was better up forward this time than a year ago, that development program actually worked.
But no, the coaches and dumb for trying to turn him into a defender and then a winger for no reason.
Sandy have played 8 games and Allison has played 3 different positions. It should be no surprise that he has struggled to get any consistency in his game from week to week when there has been zero consistency in the role he is playing. We have seen with Battle how hard it is for someone to develop when they are constantly being thrown around.

There seemed to be no issues calling the coaches incompetent and dumb for doing the same with Battle last year. Not sure why you are up in arms about saying it was strange to try him for longer periods in other positions before the one he was drafted as.

Fair point this. I'm probably misdirecting some of my frustration at the coaches when it should be at the people writing him off already.

I do feel though that key fwds especially are given the least amount of time and patience to show their stuff.

Carlton did Harry McKay a great service by sticking with him as a forward in his early development, despite the noise and pressure about him needing to take games by the scruff of the neck earlier in his career.

Let me start by saying that I like Bytel and I think he has a lot to offer our future. I have been told from within Sandy that he is on very good terms with himself. If things get a bit hard during the game he starts spraying teammates unnecessarily which is not a good trait. Mate from Sandy also said that as soon as Mitchito and Windy came in they gave Jack windburn for priority in the pecking order.

Let me start by saying that I like Bytel and I think he has a lot to offer our future. I have been told from within Sandy that he is on very good terms with himself. If things get a bit hard during the game he starts spraying teammates unnecessarily which is not a good trait. Mate from Sandy also said that as soon as Mitchito and Windy came in they gave Jack windburn for priority in the pecking order.

Well that's interesting news. Is this like how Doogs gives a spray towards others when he's at fault? Gotta say that I've only ever seen Bytel going out of his way to support his teammates. I guess news from within overrides the visuals. He has been off his best this year.

He seems to be the first bloke picked to plug a gap anywhere else. When Joyce was called up, he got chucked into FB and was spanked.

I totally agree with you he needs to be left forward and allowed a consistent run, ala Battle. Really hope he keeps improving and is winning a few hearts by the end of the season. We've backed him in with a long contract for a reason. Let's give him a go.
I think it’s good to throw players around in the seconds. Obviously not a star like king but if you haven’t shown a lot tgen try them elsewhere. If we didn’t try Sam fisher down back he would have been delisted. If we tried paddy down back he may now be our chb.

Bytel has the same problem Dunstan had. No not kicking. His lack of ability to play elsewhere. Yep could say the same about crouch but the difference is is a very good footballer. Lenny was no good elsewhere but he went ok in the middle

Well that's interesting news. Is this like how Doogs gives a spray towards others when he's at fault? Gotta say that I've only ever seen Bytel going out of his way to support his teammates. I guess news from within overrides the visuals. He has been off his best this year.
In his defence he missed pre season. Nothing wrong with a spray as long as it’s deserved.

I think the recruiters saw Allison as a ( could be anything) remember at the time no one in the draft year had really played any footy. He had some insane attributes and the club saw the size, skills and athleticism and I think saw at as a huge opportunity to utilise our development.

I think the recruiters saw Allison as a ( could be anything) remember at the time no one in the draft year had really played any footy. He had some insane attributes and the club saw the size, skills and athleticism and I think saw at as a huge opportunity to utilise our development.
I agree with this 100%.
I think they rolled the dice on what they thought might be a high upside athletic tall with little exposed form.
They'd landed Snags and Crouch and pick 26 in the covid draft was a free hit.
Admittedly I wasn't happy about the selection and more so as the negative reports rolled in from VFL watchers. Then I saw Matty on the tele and instantly formed the opinion that you've stated here. It's obvious what they saw in him.

Sandy have played 8 games and Allison has played 3 different positions. It should be no surprise that he has struggled to get any consistency in his game from week to week when there has been zero consistency in the role he is playing. We have seen with Battle how hard it is for someone to develop when they are constantly being thrown around.

There seemed to be no issues calling the coaches incompetent and dumb for doing the same with Battle last year. Not sure why you are up in arms about saying it was strange to try him for longer periods in other positions before the one he was drafted as.
They moved him back last year because he couldnt get near the ball playing forward. Then to the wing to start the year for the same reason, to attempt to get him more involved in contests.

He is not a natural footballer who can find the ball with ease. So the change in positions were to teach him how to find it and stay involved in the game. He was very lucky we had long injury list last year, as he didnt deserve to hold his place in the side.

Last weeks game was the first real signs we have seen, that he may make it as a player let alone as a forward. Remembering that he played on a flank and his opponent was probably 10cm's shorter. We recruited him in the hope he would make a tall lead up marking forward, he is a very long way away from that role.

In short the coaches have done nothing but attempt to develop his game, and he still has a long way to go. So Batchelor has made the exact right calls on his positional moves and development.

Last edited:
I agree with this 100%.
I think they rolled the dice on what they thought might be a high upside athletic tall with little exposed form.
They'd landed Snags and Crouch and pick 26 in the covid draft was a free hit.
Admittedly I wasn't happy about the selection and more so as the negative reports rolled in from VFL watchers. Then I saw Matty on the tele and instantly formed the opinion that you've stated here. It's obvious what they saw in him.
[/QUOTI think a little bit of patience will go a long way with him. I actually think we should at the least keep him in a position he’s going to get as much of the ball as possible atm.

[/QUOTE]I think a little bit of patience will go a long way with him. I actually think we should at the least keep him in a position he’s going to get as much of the ball as possible atm.
[/QUOTE]
I think we've got some good development going on at Sandy now. Whatever they think they is best is fine by me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back