Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No kids, just 2 Bulldogs. Sometimes when the stress and sadness hits a peak, I just need to remember that I spend 5 minutes getting to anywhere in this town. Still, some days it is still a struggle, even if I know that over all, I'm very, very lucky.
Everyone has to have coping strategies, a round of golf isnt a bad one either.

It wasn't a crack at each individual, or the board, but it is my view that the club would think 'BigFooty' and the things many of the people say on here is a joke.

Then why would they laugh at us? This is something that you posted earlier. If we weren't worth reading, they wouldn't read anything at all. Tell me this, do very average performers laugh at decent criticism? The average incompetent thinks that anyone critiquing their work output is an idiot. You do know this and I think that you are just choosing to ignore the simple fact that many posters here are at least equally as talented as our club employees and are worthy of commenting on their performance.

It's an internet forum champ, everyone says their opinion and that is mine. I think they'd laugh at half the s**t posted on here.

Look, you've come out of nowhere swinging over a nothing joke post about Hamish Ogilvy. You're derailing the thread because you're angry or whatever. Just calm your s**t or go and quote me on the other thread.

But why do you feel the need to reference your CEO credential when stating that the club would laugh at posts. And at the same time, you state that the club ignores this particular piece of media? I don't doubt that the club would laugh at posts. Trigg did. I'm sure Fagan does. But that doesn't mean that they are good for our club. But you stated that the club simultaneously laughs at post whilst not actually reading them in the first place. This is what shits me about you, whilst actually respecting you and many of your posts.

Then why would they laugh at us? This is something that you posted earlier. If we weren't worth reading, they wouldn't read anything at all. Tell me this, do very average performers laugh at decent criticism? The average incompetent thinks that anyone critiquing their work output is an idiot. You do know this and I think that you are just choosing to ignore the simple fact that many posters here are at least equally as talented as our club employees and are worthy of commenting on their performance.

I was referring to the hysterical posters who put 2 + 2 and get 10 and start thinking the aliens have landed, not everyone on the board. There were enough people agreeing to show that they clearly didn't think I was referring to the whole board or them, and I wasn't.

Most of the criticism wasn't decent, it was hysterical. I said myself that someone's head in the fitness department needed to roll or there be an external review. I was referring to the snowball of bullshit hysteria building because we were losing. Where is it now we're winning? Nowhere. Of course the club can't take that level of emotional volatility seriously.

'Many of the posters here are at least equally as talented as our club employees'? you're either under rating what those at the club do or misusing the word many. A small percentage maybe.

But why do you feel the need to reference your CEO credential when stating that the club would laugh at posts. And at the same time, you state that the club ignores this particular piece of media? I don't doubt that the club would laugh at posts. Trigg did. I'm sure Fagan does. But that doesn't mean that they are good for our club. But you stated that the club simultaneously laughs at post whilst not actually reading them in the first place. This is what shits me about you, whilst actually respecting you and many of your posts.

At one point they were on it quite a bit, they even had an account if you recall, so they know what it's about and therefore can make an assessment of what they think of it, and my assertion is they think it's a joke because 75% of the posts when we're losing are hysteria. I doubt they'll be sifting through the board weeding out the quality posts because a) it serves little purpose, and b) they'd need a full time person to do it. Apparently they do 'monitor' it because they know the media get their cues from here but I doubt they read it thoroughly trying to sift through the drama queen posts. That's my view. I think they think it's a joke.

Last edited:
But why do you feel the need to reference your CEO credential when stating that the club would laugh at posts.

Because I know what I'd do if I was the CEO of the AFC.

What would you do if you were in charge of the AFC, seriously? after losing four in a row and the hysteria on here would you venture over to BigFooty read all the posts, go 'ahhhh they're into something, pretty clever this lot', sack everyone, delist half the side and start rebuilding?

What would you do?

The statement was in regards to knowing what I'd do in relation to BigFooty, and the point is I wouldn't come here looking for answers when there is so much fickleness, emotional volatility and hysteria. If the club came here looking for answers they do need a full clean out.

The statement was in regards to knowing what I'd do in relation to BigFooty, and the point is I wouldn't come here looking for answers when there is so much fickleness, emotional volatility and hysteria. If the club came here looking for answers they do need a full clean out.

You would encourage BF, to continue for its supporters to create, imagine if everyone agreed on BF, regardless of the forum. There would be nothing to debate and the number of posts would reduce advertising $$ would reduce and AFL exposure would reduce meaning $$$$$$$$$ would reduce. Media exposure is paramount to success including social media

Interesting I saw this week that the reason Eddie gave for Collingwood selling their pokie pubs was that it was too much of a distraction from their core business

Eddie also said last week that selling their pokies pubs would help their balance sheet and that Collingwood were looking for new and different possibilities for growth.

Have we been pulling profits though? Wasn't it only 2 years ago that we had to change bankers because we hadn't met the liquidity ratio required by Westpac? This belief that we're a rich club seems to be contradictory to all available evidence on the matter. Out of desperation we've purchased an e-gaming crew and a baseball club. I can be nearly certain that we're not all that profitable.
If we take, say 10 million in income from the gate + merchandising + other rando stuff, then we probably are skirting around the edge of break even.

Which doesn't make any sense, cos TV rights alone are 400million a year across the league. So... there really should be no problem around a million up or down in any given year, for any club.

You would encourage BF, to continue for its supporters to create, imagine if everyone agreed on BF, regardless of the forum. There would be nothing to debate and the number of posts would reduce advertising $$ would reduce and AFL exposure would reduce meaning $$$$$$$$$ would reduce. Media exposure is paramount to success including social media

What? I think I can half decipher what you're trying to say. I'm not suggesting people shouldn't post opinions (stupid or otherwise). It's an internet forum, that's what happens and what you expect. But don't expect the club to take it too seriously.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? I think I can half decipher what you're trying to say. I'm not suggesting people shouldn't post opinions (stupid or otherwise). It's an internet forum, that's what happens and what you expect. But don't expect the club to take it too seriously.

NO one with half a brain would take an anonymous social media forum too seriously

You just summed up the reason Kane Cornes and Sam McClure have media careers.

Say something nkst.people.disagree with and create "conversation" to generate Twitter and to a lesser extent BF traffic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The previous thread on this was shut down by the moderation team for trolling by a certain poster, so here's attempt number 2

There have been lots of calls over the last few years to move on our recruiting team, and overhaul list management in general. I think the amount of drafting blunders have been building up, and we're not running at an above average strike rate later in the draft to make up for it.

It's also clear that our list management has made some pretty big mistakes in terms of contract length given to average or cooked players.

So is it time to move the heads of these departments on?

Ogilvie has been with the Crows since the end of the 2006 season, and has been recruiting manager since Matt Rendell "resigned" in 2012

Reid started as list manager during 2015, and transitioned fully into the role after David Noble departed for Brisbane in 2016

They are both the last remaining key staff members from the Rob Chapman era

They won’t move both at the same time so it’s the guy whose been there for longer and who hasn’t drafted us a decent midfield, developing ruck, enough decent KPF and KPD, decent small forwards and has blown first round picks.

I would rather the club say they are reviewing the recruiting and list management team and do a full review and see who has been responsible. Are we paying for previous coaches decisions? Previous football managers? Football directors? I have no issues with sacking both of them although I tend to think it would be rough on reid, who although he's made mistakes has been fairly short term to evaluate. Just firing blokes to make us feel better is also maybe not the answer. Who is the replacement? It's a pretty specific skill set. I voted Hamish, I'm a long time admirer but admit it appears he has made some bad decisions.

They both feel a bit stale, don't they? Would be good to see a fresh set of eyes overseeing both operations sometime in the near future

Yes, both have made some credible moves and decisions over their time, but the mistakes they've made are large enough to override the good, I think

I think before I move anyone on I’d like to have someone who is better than we currently have . Which recruiter would be available and has a better record than Hamish ? Genuinely interested if someone has done research in this area .

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result

I’m reminded of the Silicon Valley maxim, if you’re going to fail, fail fast.

They’ve failed. Move on. Hard & fast

Odds are with so many wrong picks he's bound to ace a draft soon if we stick tight with Hamish.*

I'm less a fan of Reid, we seem to have been hamstrung in our list management over the journey by the contracts he has handed out

* I'm happy to move both on, neither is shooting out the lights

Back