List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasn’t brought in to find the next stars. Was brought in to help clubs fill short term injury holes.

Sure you’ll get the 1 in 50 that Newcombe is but in general they are injury top ups
Kinnear has said 'every pick is important, you need to make the most of every pick'
Defenders take longer to develop, both tall and small - rucks the same. Covid has stuffed around all younger players the last few years, compromising the development of these young guys.
Last year we got a developing ruck - good job Swans.
This year - we might pick another developing ruck? Hickey retires 2023, Sinkers & Naismith retire 2022 which leaves only Ladhams & McAndrew.
We need another ruck to develop this year. Theres a couple in the academy...?
An accountable small defender - Ling or another, is also a need. Someone who can play seniors 2023/24
Tall defenders is another need. Is Melican working? Gould or BOC?? Will Paddy move forward in a year or two?
MSD is a good opportunity to find a 20-21yo tall defender that has had a year or two to physically mature post draft year, also had the opportunity to play footy (show recruiters) since covid.
MSD is a good opportunity to find a player that will develop and fill a future hole. Small / tall defender or Ruck.

I think that AFL clubs would be using the mid season to top up but also to try and identify some gems who could be long term additions. There is some cracking talent out there and guys that take longer to mature.

Does anyone have any stats around the numbers of players that are being drafted through the academy or local grown products? Would be interesting to see how many more players are coming out of Sydney/surrounding regions and how this compares to previous years. Given that the participation levels have gone through the roof, surely Sydney will becoming a bigger focus for recruiters at AFL clubs. In the east it appears that AFL is fast becoming the most popular sports for kids at primary school age. Staggering growth given where the game was at 30 years ago, even 20, at a junior level here.

Kinnear has said 'every pick is important, you need to make the most of every pick'
Defenders take longer to develop, both tall and small - rucks the same. Covid has stuffed around all younger players the last few years, compromising the development of these young guys.
This year - we might pick another developing ruck? Hickey retires 2023, Sinkers & Naismith retire 2022 which leaves only Ladhams & McAndrew.
An accountable small defender - Ling or another, is also a need. Someone who can play seniors 2023/24
Tall defenders is another need. Is Melican working? Gould or BOC?? Will Paddy move forward in a year or two?
MSD is a good opportunity to find a 20-21yo tall defender that has had a year or two to physically mature post draft year, also had the opportunity to play footy (show recruiters) since covid.
MSD is a good opportunity to find a player that will develop and fill a future hole. Small / tall defender or Ruck.
Definitely need some more ruck stocks. Has anyone seen how McAndrew is developing? I personally thought Ling had a heap of potential and just didnt align for him, could be what we need, someone who can lockdown on smalls and also has a bit of zip. Though I suspect this will never happen.

We have King in the Academy for this year, Ruck and can go fwd. Suspect we won't go with another ruck with him coming in, and assuming we'll keep at least one of Amartey and McLean, maybe both, beyond this year.

Realistically we might just go with who we think is best available. But if it's needs, it'll be KPD first. Small/med defender is something I'd look at for the longer term. The reason I say small/med defender is longer term is that although it's a position that needs some thought, a) I think we have enough short term (this year/next), and b) the midfield and workrate of the whole team is the cause, our small defenders being beaten is (largely) the symptom.

So far this year Cunners has been out of form, and injured. COR and Fox both injured while Cunners has been out of form. Compounding the issues. Fox is now nearing full fitness, so should be given an opportunity back in the side along with COR until Cunners is back and plays a good game or two in reserves. Florent looked OK in the role, though don't know if that's long term. Campbell should be used as a half back at most, or further up the ground. JPK was put there, not because we needed him there, but because the selectors wanted him in the 22 somewhere. We've got Rankin in the small defender/half back role at reserves level, and it looks like we're trying Sheather there. If there's someone who looks like a jet in the role, then sure (Cunners and Fox are getting on), but it'll be behind KPD for me.

Last edited:
Definitely need some more ruck stocks. Has anyone seen how McAndrew is developing? I personally thought Ling had a heap of potential and just didnt align for him, could be what we need, someone who can lockdown on smalls and also has a bit of zip. Though I suspect this will never happen.
McAndrew looks promising, just still a bit raw and needs a couple more years of bulking up. I would say we're hoping Hickey lasts til end of next year, with Ladhams as the offsider. Then in 2024 hopefully McAndrew, or King (from this year's academy) are ready to play a bit, to backup Ladhams (alongside maybe one of Amartey or McLean if they're around). Can see us picking up another mature ager as a stopgap once Hickey goes though and while the younger guys develop.

Ling had lost his pace from his injuries, you could see that in his reserves games for us. He seemed to be an ok lockdown defender, but didn't seem good enough for AFL level and we just called time. If he's progressed on in that role, good on him, probably not for us though.

Last edited:
Just published in the Herald Sun:

"Sydney would need to hand over Tom Papley and a first-round draft pick to prise Dustin Martin out of Richmond and lure him north to end his career, according to a retired list expert.

Former Collingwood recruiter Matthew Rendell said Martin would command a heavy price tag at the trade table, with the Tigers ultimately holding the upper hand.

“The first-round pick of Sydney might not be that great. It might be pick 10 at best,” Rendell said.

“That’s why you’d have to throw a really good player in.

“If it was going to come to fruition and I was Richmond, my first port of call would be, ‘We’re taking your first-rounder and Papley’.”
Lure?? Why did we need to lure him north when he wants to move to Sydney. Richmond don't have upper hand at all.

Martin will be in Sydney next year. Take that to the bank. It’s not going to please a lot of people when his destination is revealed and the cost so suck it up. Do people really think he was in Sydney for 5 weeks because of emotional or mental health problems ? This move has been set in stone for the last 2 years.
Deal is done.
Will it be at the Swans or GWS?

Final round of footy before the midseason draft. Players I've seen us linked to are:
Jacob Bauer (North Adelaide)
Massimo D'Ambrossio (Western Jets)
Mutaz El Nour (Northern Bullants)
Hugo Hall-Kahan (Sandringham Dragons)

So we've got a forward, 2 defenders and a small forward. Swans likely to pick who they feel is the best available rather than filling any holes in the list. D'Ambrossio seems the strongest out of the lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taranto - yep
Brayshaw (Freo variety) - absolutely, but impossible
Brayshaw (Melb variety) - 2 years too old, and a great player but need to consider that Petracca and Oliver take a lot of the oppos attention, so might make him look better than he is
Hopper - yep
Actually Angus Brayshaw is only 4 months older than Heeney.

Much discussion about how we desperately need another inside mid to help Parker, Mills & Warner and we need to trade one in. I am not so sure that we do, as I believe that player is already on the list just asking for a change in role. His name is James Rowbottom and he had a breakout season hunting and winning the ball before we decided we only wanted him tackling and blocking.

Unleash him. Let him go after the ball and see what he can do at the coalface where he showed massive potential. He'll still tackle and pressure like a rabid dog but can help make our midfield stronger with his attack on the ball. IMO when he is winning a heap of hard balls and clearances, we are so much better for it. I haven't seen much evidence that we're better off when he's not winning hard balls and clearances because he's defending the man.

This one coaching move could save us a $500k+ trade for a gun mid because we'd be able to develop one from within. He's signed until 2024, he'd be on SFA $-wise, he's only 21 years old. Let's see what this kid can do.
100%

How good was he in his second year playing Kennedy's role while he was injured? Don't know why you wouldn't let him do it again.

100%

How good was he in his second year playing Kennedy's role while he was injured? Don't know why you wouldn't let him do it again.

Made sense last year. By Horse's own admission he was playing injured so it's a logical role to give him if it keeps him in the side every week even when not at 100%.

Makes zero sense this year when we're crying out for a mid like him. All it's doing is hurting the midfield and making Rowbottom a very average mid on a one-way-ticket to being traded by his mid-20s.

Final round of footy before the midseason draft. Players I've seen us linked to are:
Jacob Bauer (North Adelaide)
Massimo D'Ambrossio (Western Jets)
Mutaz El Nour (Northern Bullants)
Hugo Hall-Kahan (Sandringham Dragons)

So we've got a forward, 2 defenders and a small forward. Swans likely to pick who they feel is the best available rather than filling any holes in the list. D'Ambrossio seems the strongest out of the lot
Just got injured in our VFL playing for Richmond. Reportedly serious shoulder injury.

Time to get elite talent in otherwise we’re gone

Ah yes...

Just go get some elite talent that is willing and able to come to Swans in the 23-28 bracket.

All with out breaking the bank too.

Easy done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back