No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was almost, and it was very close, us in 1990!
It was closer than we all think.

Even though we were complete crap on and off the field, I always felt because we are such a big club it could never be us. WRONG!!

Very few people know, but following our Save Our Skins campaign; Richmond, Melbourne and North Melbourne were in secret talks under the banner of "Operation Alloy". It blew my mind when I saw the evidence.

It was agreed in principle at the end of 1992, early 1993. The new entity was going to be called the Melbourne North Tigers. The 3 clubs were bereft of funds and could not see their way into the professional era let alone be competitive.

Players on each list were assessed and rated.

Fortunately, North started improving under Pagan and feared we would be the dominant partner and got cold feet. Melbourne were ready to jump into bed with anyone (Hawks in 1996). Then we started to show signs of improvement under Northey, and of those of us around at the time who could forget the lockout at Waverly for the pre-season Grand Final against Essendon. That showed how big we really could be.

Operation Alloy never saw the light of day after that, but I can tell you it was very, very close to us losing our football team. Never take it for granted. Even when our reign at the top comes to an end and we dip - keep buying your memberships.

Even though we were complete crap on and off the field, I always felt because we are such a big club it could never be us. WRONG!!

Very few people know, but following our Save Our Skins campaign; Richmond, Melbourne and North Melbourne were in secret talks under the banner of "Operation Alloy". It blew my mind when I saw the evidence.

It was agreed in principle at the end of 1992, early 1993. The new entity was going to be called the Melbourne North Tigers. The 3 clubs were bereft of funds and could not see their way into the professional era let alone be competitive.

Fortunately, North started improving under Pagan and feared we would be the dominant partner and got cold feet. Melbourne were ready to jump into bed with anyone (Hawks in 1996). Then we started to show signs of improvement under Northey, and of those of us around at the time who could forget the lockout at Waverly for the pre-season Grand Final against Essendon. That showed how big we really could be.

Operation Alloy never saw the light of day after that, but I can tell you it was very, very close to us losing our football team. Never take it for granted. Even when our reign at the top comes to an end and we dip - keep buying your memberships.

If that had have happened I’d have stopped watching footy. I know a heap of Fitzroy supporters who did the same when they got done in by the AFL

Posted this on another thread, but....

North v Dees got a crowd of 13,422 on Saturday arvo.

I find that hard to comprehend. They are reigning premiers playing great footy FFS.
I try to avoid the muckraking TV footy shows nowadays, so can someone who saw them all please confirm that they've spent most of the week lambasting the reigning premier for only pulling 13k, like they did to Richmond last year for getting "only" 19k vs GWS at Marvel in the middle of a global pandemic? Thanks in advance.

How's the media "an Essendon man was bashed"

Making it look like an Essendon supporter was bashed,no mention of him being a Richmond fan.
This is the new extreme lengths that Essendon are going to further emulate the Richmond FC - they're now even filling their suburb with Tiger supporters.

I try to avoid the muckraking TV footy shows nowadays, so can someone who saw them all please confirm that they've spent most of the week lambasting the reigning premier for only pulling 13k, like they did to Richmond last year for getting "only" 19k vs GWS at Marvel in the middle of a global pandemic? Thanks in advance.

This is the new extreme lengths that Essendon are going to further emulate the Richmond FC - they're now even filling their suburb with Tiger supporters.

We should pull all our supporters out of Essendon. Watch property prices and rents there plummet back to a more realistic value. 😁

Lingy sounds a tad defensive.

View attachment 1408593

He says that as if some teams choose to be “irrelevant rubbish sitting on the bottom of the ladder for 10-15 years.” This happens to clubs where they make the error of trying to contend too long just the same as it happens to clubs who make other errors, as the Cats are probably about to learn…

And constantly trying to compete to win a Premiership….haven’t they only won a single final against a team who made a Preliminary final in the last 10 years? And that was in the reduced season reduced game time 2020 COVID season where we were racing away from them under a triple stranglehold when we hit the finishing line in the Grand Final?

Failing to beat a top 4 team in a full length final for 10 consecutive seasons doesn’t constitute relevance Ling. And wtf is the use of the word “relevancy” all about you stupid stupid campaigner?

You just knew the Herald Sun was going to put a pic of Dusty into a story concerning Sam Fisher's drug use🙄

You just knew the Herald Sun was going to put a pic of Dusty into a story concerning Sam Fisher's drug use🙄
50 thrown out when 30 were thrown out for vaping lol.
Every Richmond win there will be a media article with Richmond negativity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very glad that didn't happen. I started to follow the game in 2000 and was deciding between Richmond or Essendon to follow. I would've been an Essendon supporter if it did.

I'm very glad that didn't happen. I started to follow the game in 2000 and was deciding between Richmond or Essendon to follow. I would've been an Essendon supporter if it did.
well essendon is now where richmond was in 2001, but without the top 4 finish and finals wins

well essendon is now where richmond was in 2001, but without the top 4 finish and finals wins
revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back