Preview Round 11: Port Adelaide vs Essendon, Adelaide Oval, Sunday 29/05/2022 @ 4:40 PM

Can we win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree it’s potentially worth getting a look at what McDonagh has to offer at AFL level so why not make him Medi sub.

I think we will see;-

OUT:Redman,Guelfi,Draper,Waterman,Smith
IN: Ridley, Caldwell, Phillips, Jones, Wanga

Team:

Ridley Reid Kelly
Heppell Lav Hind
Martin McGrath Durham
Perkins Jones Caldwell
Francis 2MP Wanga

Phillips Parish Merrett

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Cutler Bryan
SUB: McDonagh

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In to the midfield: Hobbs / Perkins / Marto

Out: McGrath (permanent half back) / Shiel (Gold Coast or whoever wants him).

Like many others, we are here for you Port
Come Austin Powers GIF

No ty.

Let him play the outside role he's been doing well instead of trying to shoe-horn players in to other roles.

I'm not sure it's a shoehorn. I'd consider it a taste of his future. Some strong Pendlebury vibes about this kid. I want a 192cm, smooth moving, good ball using, non-panic merchant around the pill. That's just my opinion. Or we can continue forever with the sub 180cm mosquito crew... either or.

I'm not sure it's a shoehorn. I'd consider it a taste of his future. Some strong Pendlebury vibes about this kid. I want a 192cm, smooth moving, good ball using, non-panic merchant around the pill. That's just my opinion. Or we can continue forever with the sub 180cm mosquito crew... either or.

Square peg round hole kinda vibes.

We need to stop shoehorning flankers in to the midfield, Martin's biggest weakness is his physicality and contested work.

Meanwhile he could be an elite mid-forward-wing outside player.

I feel like the shift has already happened hasn’t it? Merrett appears to be having less CBA’s the last couple of weeks, either Hobbs or Perkins has attended more than him.

Our first choice midfield is Shiel and Caldwell rotate through half-forward (60/40 split), Merrett and McGrath rotate through half-back (60/40 split), Parish is primarily in the midfield and Perkins/Hobbs usually get that rotation (75/15/10 or 90/5/5 depending on the week).

When Stringer was in the team, Shiel and Parish both had less CBAs to make room for him, while Perkins and Hobbs got almost none in those weeks.

I think Merrett being injured for three weeks gave more minutes to McGrath, and then Merrett got those minutes back in the following three weeks with McGrath doing more stuff at half-back while Hind was out of the side and then Kelly was sick.

The Sydney game is the spanner in the works, Caldwell attended basically every centre bounce in the first half, then got injured, and Shiel also had more minutes that day, so seems to have had Merrett's minutes. The second half of that game Caldwell was subbed off though, and Hobbs seems to have picked up those minutes rather than Merrett or McGrath.

Merrett actually played mostly through the middle but only got 26% of the CBAs and 14 touches that day, but without McGrath picking up the remainder (McGrath was probably trying to mind Papley or something I suppose).

Uncharacteristically low output game for Merrett really. Even without CBAs he should still be getting more than 14 touches if he's running through the middle off a wing. I kind of wonder if he got that flu thing that everyone else had the week before and got given a lighter load instead of a week off? Or maybe with the small ground and need to win the bounce and burst out of the stoppage might have made them put more on Shiel and Caldwell who have that sort of burst speed, especially without Stringer that would usually have provided that.

Either way, it was basically back to normal last weekend, McGrath had his minutes back and split them with Merrett. With Caldwell injured, Perkins/Hobbs seem to have picked up his minutes.

So overall I don't think they've made any deliberate decisions to do differently than the usual mix of senior players in the midfield, other than maybe promoting Shiel and Caldwell/Hobbs more in Round 9 for unknown reasons.

McDounagh can play on the wing can’t he? Wouldn’t mind seeing his kicking.

Probably going to be a repeat of the Round 17 2020 game (Saturday, 12th September 2020, 4:05 PM ACST)
Rained the whole game.
Port 11.13 (79) defeated Essendon 4.5 (29)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think this is the first time ever the preview for the week has gotten to page 2...
alternative approach to my in's & out's to keep it on page 1

Dixon is in but first game in a while. Stewart has his hand up to play
In: Stewart, Jones, Baldwin
Out: Redman (susp.), Guelfi (inj), Waterman (omit)

Ridley Stewart Kelly
Francis Reid Laverde
McGrath Hobbs Shiel
Perkins Jones Martin
Durham Wright Baldwin
Draper Parish Merrett
Heppell Hind Bryan Smith
Cutler

Ins: B.Zerk-Thatcher, J.Ridley, H.Jones, J.Caldwell, A.Phillips, B.Ham
Out: M.Redman (suspension), M.Guelfi (injured), N.Bryan (omitted

I don't agree with dropping Bryan, but possible heavy rain means they may be dropping an extra tall. The only reason to play Phillips over Bryan is having a bigger body in wet conditions, but I don't see the point given we're likely not winning this anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back