Analysis Changes vs Weagles Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t recall Sweet being dominated when he actually was rucking. It was when he was tired and was either benched or resting that it became an issue.
So we just close our eyes and pretend Sweet wasn't smashed by Witts? For what was expected of him he wasn't bad but lets not pretend he wasn't soundly beaten

Sweet has played 7 games and we have won 6 of those.

Although the above does not paint the whole picture it certainly mounts a case to keep playing him.

Witts best Gold Coast player by a mile? Not sure about that in fact he wasn't there were 4 or 5 ahead of him easily. He wasn't able to dictate as much as he has in other games.

There were times English was dominated by opposition rucks but I am not seeing this with Sweet in his first 7 games.

Play Sweet and English for next 6 weeks then happy to make a decision on a 2nd ruck .
Not exactly a relevant stat when you see the teams we played. Saints Suns Blues were all crap last year, Port were undermanned the game we won there and we lost to Melbourne. Undermanned Collingwood and Gold Coast who are improved teams yes but still bottom 8 teams.

Witts had 20 hitouts to advantage of his 55 which is a very high %.

English does also get dominated in tap work correct but he makes up for it by taking marks and getting 20 disposals to impact, Other than tap work which depending on the % to advantage can be overrated what does Sweet actually offer?

So we just close our eyes and pretend Sweet wasn't smashed by Witts? For what was expected of him he wasn't bad but lets not pretend he wasn't soundly beaten

Issue is not us closing our eyes its you opening them

All I ask is that we give Sweet/English combo 4 weeks, if we scrap it after 1 week without giving it a chance I’ll be f*n pissed.

Especially considering it's incredibly obvious that Cordy as the chop-out ruckman is not and will never work. He doesn't play with agression, he just gives away stupid free kicks and has minimal impact.

I don’t recall Sweet being dominated when he actually was rucking. It was when he was tired and was either benched or resting that it became an issue.

Sweet was great, but Witts had the better of him for most of the day.

He had 55 hit outs. That’s a big number. He didn’t get all of those whilst rucking against Cordy or sitting on the pine.

The tired, benched stuff is exactly why some are hesitant to play Sweet week in week out regardless of performance.
If he can’t run out games and doesn’t have enough fwd game to rest inside 50, he can very quickly become a liability.

Not exactly a relevant stat when you see the teams we played. Saints Suns Blues were all crap last year, Port were undermanned the game we won there and we lost to Melbourne. Undermanned Collingwood and Gold Coast who are improved teams yes but still bottom 8 teams.

Witts had 20 hitouts to advantage of his 55 which is a very high %.

English does also get dominated in tap work correct but he makes up for it by taking marks and getting 20 disposals to impact, Other than tap work which depending on the % to advantage can be overrated what does Sweet actually offer?

Yes and all those hit outs were against Sweet

Oh I forgot Witts was Gold Coast best player by a mile.

Yes and all those hit outs were against Sweet

Oh I forgot Witts was Gold Coast best player by a mile.
Seeing as Sweet was rucking for around 80% of the game a large number of them were yes.

Other then Jefferey with his 5 goals most of which were within 15m was there another player for them being talked about for dominance?

View attachment 1409774
Here are the Hit outs to advantage, Disposals, Marks, Score Involvements, Center Clearances

What am I missing?

Gold Coast: Jeffrey, Swallow, Ainsworth, Ballard, Lemmens, Witts, Rankine

Witts best Gold Coast player by a mile.

Gold Coast: Jeffrey, Swallow, Ainsworth, Ballard, Lemmens, Witts, Rankine

Witts best Gold Coast player by a mile.
Ahhh I see you'll now deflect on the by a mile comment when he is still in the best there because statistically Sweet got smashed

Cordy has flexibility he can play forward and back and chop out in the ruck. Sweet is a CBA ruck and that's it and he isn't a very good one at that. He got dominated in the ruck himself last week. If we have an injury hit game like we did against Port you can throw the magnets around more with Cordy then Sweet hence why you need a 2nd ruckman who can do more then just tap work

Being bad at more than one position isn’t flexibility lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1409774
Here are the Hit outs to advantage, Disposals, Marks, Score Involvements, Center Clearances

What am I missing?

Sweet vs. Witts (76 contests)
Hitouts: 24 / 38
To Advantage: 8 / 13
Clearances: 32 / 20
Score: 6.3 (39) / 3.3 (21)

Is that Sweet copping a thrashing?

I am also still keen to hear what he offers other than some average tap work?

Sweet offers good aggression (one of the few in our team that can sit the opposition on their backside), sound disposal and does not give opposition ruck respite at all.

Allows English to play forward.

For a 7 gamer I would continue to play him.

Why are you involving statistics that are unrelated to the ruck battle? We have a better midfield that often dominates clearance when our ruckman is being belted and we have a better overall team so are obviously going to score more.

Sweet offers good aggression (one of the few in our team that can sit the opposition on their backside), sound disposal and does not give opposition ruck respite at all.

For a 7 gamer I would continue to play him
Cordy also give "aggression" doesn't actually mean anything on a football field, I'd hope so with the infrequent amount of time's he touches it and effectively he "tries". My word if this is the standards we have for a team wanting to win a flag we are miles off it

Nic Nat.PNG
This was round 2 last year both our ruckman absolutely spanked in the ruck we still won the game and the clearances

Why are you involving statistics that are unrelated to the ruck battle? We have a better midfield that often dominates clearance when our ruckman is being belted and we have a better overall team so are obviously going to score more.

Take the following statistics that are the ruck battle alone. I still cant see how Sweet was dominated in the ruck.

Happy to be wrong

Seeing as Sweet was rucking for around 80% of the game a large number of them were yes.

Other then Jefferey with his 5 goals most of which were within 15m was there another player for them being talked about for dominance?

Sweet vs. Cool (3 contests)
Hitouts: 3 / 0
To Advantage: 2 / 0
Clearances: 2 / 1
Score: 0.0 (0) / 0.0 (0)

Cordy vs. Witts (19 contests)
Hitouts: 3 / 13
To Advantage: 1 /6
Clearances: 7 / 8
Score: 1.0 (6) / 2.2 (14)

Cordy vs. Chol (6 contests)
Hitouts: 3 / 2
To Advantage: 1 / 1
Clearances: 2 / 3
Score: 1.0 (6) / 1.0 (6)

We’ve all literally already been through this, those are the factual numbers without your BS.

Was Sweet beaten, yes no one is disagreeing with that. Sweet in his 5th game was beaten by one of the best pure ruckmen in the game. He was by absolutely no means smashed. That is literally a fact, you can’t debate this.

FWIW the last time Witts played English he destroyed him too.

You do realise no one wants Sweet to play 20/80 ruck/forward. Obviously that is not going to work. Currently we have one of the best mobile rucks in the league, who struggles in the actual ruck contests and the hands down worst 2nd ruck in the league. With one slight change we could have a mid-range ruckman whose strengths lay in the ruck contests, with hands down the best 2nd ruck in the league.

Makes sense doesn’t it?

Sweet 50/20 ruck/forward, do most of the grinding stuff around the ground - which he is actually better than English at currently = improvement for our midfield

English 50/40 Ruck/Forward, he gets more of a rest and gets more time in the middle against sub par back up rucks plus adds a much needed marking target to our forward line = hugeeeee improvement to our midfield compared to Cordy rucking and huge improvement to our forward line

Man how ******* hard is it to understand Jesus Christ. No one wants Sweet to sit at full forward for 80% of the day taking 8 ruck contests ffffffs

Mind numbing these conversations genuinely

Take the following statistics that are the ruck battle alone. I still cant see how Sweet was dominated in the ruck.

Happy to be wrong

Why remove disposals, marks, score involvements and centre clearances? There is more to ruck work then simply hitouts hence why Sweet as anything other then a 1st ruck in emergencies is useless

Why didn’t that better midfield and clearance dominance shine through when Cordy was in the ruck too then?

Keep diggin bruvva

That’s our midfield making up for our Ruck shortfall lol. As usual.

Those stats don’t seem right. Pretty sure Witts had over 50 hitouts.

Why remove disposals, marks, score involvements and centre clearances? There is more to ruck work then simply hitouts hence why Sweet as anything other then a 1st ruck in emergencies is useless

Because centre clearances are due to our gun midfield not our rucks is that not what you said?

You wanted ruck contests alone and no stats that are unrelated to ruck contests.

I won't bother just happy with Go Dogs and up the Dishlicker's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back