List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Tucker.
Very interesting piece of list management there.
Signed him to a contract extension, so either he reaches his potential, or he is still in contract at the end of this year when he requests a trade as he can’t get past Brodie, brayshaw x2, serong, acres, aish and drizzy.

Come home and win a flag with Freo that he couldn't win with Brisbane?
If we were to get Neale back, who misses out of the current side?
(Fyfe back in and swaps with Tucker)
Mundys spot yes but we have Ras and Johnson both 18 and we need to get games into them over the next few years
Brodie is 23
Brayshaw is 22
Serong 22
Aish 26
Neale isn’t come back for a 2 year deal and I think unlikely Neale playing like Mundy in 2025 at age 32.

If we were to get Neale back, who misses out of the current side?
(Fyfe back in and swaps with Tucker)
Mundys spot yes but we have Ras and Johnson both 18 and we need to get games into them over the next few years
Brodie is 23
Brayshaw is 22
Serong 22
Aish 26
Neale isn’t come back for a 2 year deal and I think unlikely Neale playing like Mundy in 2025 at age 32.
Plus Angus… 😬

If I was certain Lobb was staying I wouldn’t have any reservations regarding Gus Brayshaw tbh. As it stands I think we’ll need to find a pretty decent replacement for Lobb at year’s end. Obviously Gus would come without us giving up a draft pick but it’s salary cap I’m more worried about. Don’t want us to be in a situation where we’ve got some spud or kid as the forward/ruck simply because that’s all we can afford.

Just curious - did anyone watch the Geelong game yesterday? I was too busy watching Peel. How did Shannon Neale go? Stats don’t look great but they often don’t tell the story with young talls.

If I was certain Lobb was staying I wouldn’t have any reservations regarding Gus Brayshaw tbh. As it stands I think we’ll need to find a pretty decent replacement for Lobb at year’s end.
Who? Lobb has had such an awesome season this year. Just show him the money and hope he stays.

Lobb is an enigma, but so important in this phase of our ‘window’. He’s just someone we must keep. To receive pennies on the dollar would be upsetting.

I’m more concerned about Jackson. If gettable it’s a no brainer we go for him, but he’s been far from awesome this season and yesterday I didn’t even notice him at all.

This thread is amusing - after a loss we need to cut about 10 players from the list and there are holes everywhere, after a great win we are worried about how we are going to fit players like acres, Aish, Tucker, Erasmus, Johnson etc etc into our B22 for the next 5 years. I will admit I’m as bad as anyone else at times in that regard too!
The truth is that we need to continuously strengthen the list to have sustained success. If you are standing still, you are falling back. When the tigers brought in Tom lynch after winning a flag, everybody said “they don’t need him”.
But they did and he’s one of their best players now.

For me we are still a bit blunt in attack. I think that area of the ground needs to be strengthened despite a great victory yesterday.
Logues emergence as a tall forward option was a big positive last night. Now we have a way of fitting a guy who is top 15 on the list in talent, into the 22. We shifted him from an area where there is a surplus of talent to the spot where the talent is most shallow.
Good coaching, even if it should have been tried several weeks ago.
Fredericks breakout game last night was timely. He’s been poor before last night but has 2 things in his favour - he’s young and still on the steep upward part of his improvement curve, and secondly he has elite pace and is starting to look like he can use it.
This is why he’s a better long term option than some of the other small and medium forwards we have been playing recently.

Aish was great last night in the second half, but he’s been pretty ordinary plenty of times in the past too. I would have no qualms replacing him with Gus Brayshaw for the next 100 games. Let them fight it out for a place in the team if need be, the winners will be the club in that instance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is amusing - after a loss we need to cut about 10 players from the list and there are holes everywhere, after a great win we are worried about how we are going to fit players like acres, Aish, Tucker, Erasmus, Johnson etc etc into our B22 for the next 5 years. I will admit I’m as bad as anyone else at times in that regard too!
The truth is that we need to continuously strengthen the list to have sustained success. If you are standing still, you are falling back. When the tigers brought in Tom lynch after winning a flag, everybody said “they don’t need him”.
But they did and he’s one of their best players now.

For me we are still a bit blunt in attack. I think that area of the ground needs to be strengthened despite a great victory yesterday.
Logues emergence as a tall forward option was a big positive last night. Now we have a way of fitting a guy who is top 15 on the list in talent, into the 22. We shifted him from an area where there is a surplus of talent to the spot where the talent is most shallow.
Good coaching, even if it should have been tried several weeks ago.
Fredericks breakout game last night was timely. He’s been poor before last night but has 2 things in his favour - he’s young and still on the steep upward part of his improvement curve, and secondly he has elite pace and is starting to look like he can use it.
This is why he’s a better long term option than some of the other small and medium forwards we have been playing recently.

Aish was great last night in the second half, but he’s been pretty ordinary plenty of times in the past too. I would have no qualms replacing him with Gus Brayshaw for the next 100 games. Let them fight it out for a place in the team if need be, the winners will be the club in that instance.

No one is saying we need to fit Tucker in the best 22 for the next five years lol. I’d bring in NOD for him next week if we could.

Not disagreeing with anything else you’ve said but there is limitations on strengthening your list, namely the salary cap and draft picks (when trading). The other thing we’re forgetting is that first round picks can and do contribute straight away - same with the mature agers from the state leagues when you get it right.

What’s the point of strengthening a midfield that’s still got Erasmus and Johnson to fit in and hasn’t since Nat Fyfe all season if our forward line is bottom eight standard? Atm we are debatably bottom eight in the forward line - without Lobb that isn’t debatable.

If we can fit Gus Brayshaw and Lobb or his replacement into the salary cap and we still have the capacity to make other improvements to our forward line, I’m happy strengthening our midfield with Gus Brayshaw. The forward/ruck and small/medium forwards come first though imo.

Last edited:
Still a work in progress but has the tools and is promising.

He’s the sort we could get if Lobb leaves imo. Still out of contract. As I thought though, doesn’t sound ready for next year’s best 22.

Jackson looks more likely at this stage imo than options 2 and 3 which were English and Cameron. Jackson doesn’t come, which is probable, we’re really not talking great options. We’d have to find a forward/ruck version of Will Brodie, which tbh I don’t think exists..

No one is saying we need to fit Tucker in the best 22 for the next five years lol.
We don’t need to promise anyone a place in our B22 though. Maybe a handful like Brayshaw and Darcy but most of the list is prone to form fluctuations and ups and downs. Especially guys like Aish, acres Lobb, and unproven kids like Erasmus and Johnson.
My point (poorly made maybe) is that we don’t need to be worrying about not being able to fit hot and cold players into our team if we trade in players like Gus Brayshaw or Lachie Neale.

Lachie Neale is possibly the best player in the AFL right now.
If he wants to come to freo at the end of the season, the key decision is can we afford the draft capital required.
It’s not is he going to take midfield minutes from kids who have never even played a game of AFL footy or some up and down role players.
If you can take the best player from a rival and plonk him in our midfield for the next 3 or 4 years, without paying too much in draft capital, just do it.

That
We don’t need to promise anyone a place in our B22 though. Maybe a handful like Brayshaw and Darcy but most of the list is prone to form fluctuations and ups and downs. Especially guys like Aish, acres Lobb, and unproven kids like Erasmus and Johnson.
My point (poorly made maybe) is that we don’t need to be worrying about not being able to fit hot and cold players into our team if we trade in players like Gus Brayshaw or Lachie Neale.

If he wants to come to freo at the end of the season, the key decision is can we afford the draft capital required.
It’s not is he going to take midfield minutes from kids who have never even played a game of AFL footy or some up and down role players.
If you can take the best player from a rival and plonk him in our midfield for the next 3 or 4 years, without paying too much in draft capital, just do it.
Lachie Neale is a no deal for me, price to reward gain isn’t there. Plays the same role as Brodie for a 10% gain in output as it stands. Contracted and worth more to Brisbane then is means we pay way too much. The appeal of Gus is the flexibility and trade price, makes a lot more sense

I worry about going after and getting the likes of Neale and Brayshaw - the impact that it would have on developing the youth we have just drafted.
Top 10 -20 drafted midfielders play almost immediately- KPF’s / talls have the luxury of building over a few seasons.

I see it this way:
Neale comes back IF we see him as a midfielder/forward- back to where he started with us. He is uncanny around goal and splitting his time mid/forward would be a great fit for the short term, replaces D. Mundy next year as we have the big bodied mids sorted going forward with Brodie and Johnson - but overall list development? I’m not sure….

Brayshaw is a direct upgrade on the likes of Aish - no issue there. I’m not a big Aish fan - but yesterday he was awesome, but I reckon that was great coaching instruction rather than Aish being a great player.
Like for like player swap in age but a massive cultural and consistency upgrade.

Freo has a couple of ‘potentially’ great swingmen. Logue was plonked forward yesterday and his effort is so consistent he can only get better in that position- going back he fills a need as required.
Cox, the same ….Chapman, yet to be swung into the midfield but you can see the similarities.

So imo we desperately need a forward/ruck to replace Lobb in the long term if not short term.
I hope he stays to end of his contract - but if the writing is on the wall - such speculation- who knows - we must replace him if he leaves - Jackson is that player and although he wouldn’t come cheap, he has 10 years of footy ahead of him.
He is second string at the Dee’s in the ruck and would suit our list and GameDay team brilliantly. I don’t know the split but I reckon he doesn’t play the forward role at Melbourne to anywhere near full affect due to the glut of forwards Melbourne have. Freo love a mobile big man to roam, and I reckon our setup would elevate him to the next level. I wouldn’t write him off as a potential bust - he would excel here at Freo.

Trade out Tucker and Meek to a team like North or the Hawks to get a late second and mid third round picks.

I mean this with all due respect but North NEED Darcy Tucker more than we do. They are full of muscle bags that cannot kick to a target in space. Tucker will make them a better side.

That

Lachie Neale is a no deal for me, price to reward gain isn’t there. Plays the same role as Brodie for a 10% gain in output as it stands. Contracted and worth more to Brisbane then is means we pay way too much. The appeal of Gus is the flexibility and trade price, makes a lot more sense

I don’t disagree with you that Lachie still doesn’t make sense as a target, and I rate Brodie, but can’t agree that his impact is within 10% - Lachie has probably had his best season of his career so far. Given he is 29 and Brodie is 23 though, and you have brayshaw, doesn’t make sense to bend over backward to get him and I assume you have other positions you’d want to strengthen first.

I think for us it doesn’t make sense to trade him even for a top 10 pick as that would basically crater our midfield for the next few years. Suspect we just retain him for another season even if he again explores leaving. He won’t even be a FA at the end of next season as he doesn’t have eligibility.

I don’t disagree with you that Lachie still doesn’t make sense as a target, and I rate Brodie, but can’t agree that his impact is within 10% - Lachie has probably had his best season of his career so far. Given he is 29 and Brodie is 23 though, and you have brayshaw, doesn’t make sense to bend over backward to get him and I assume you have other positions you’d want to strengthen first.

I think for us it doesn’t make sense to trade him even for a top 10 pick as that would basically crater our midfield for the next few years. Suspect we just retain him for another season even if he again explores leaving. He won’t even be a FA at the end of next season as he doesn’t have eligibility.
Once you get up near the top 10% makes all the difference though right? I’m not trying to undersell Neale who is having a terrific year and is clearly a better player. I did originally say 10-20% better but decided it was the Freo board so went with the lower number. What’s the difference in output between an A-grade player and top 5 player? Brodie has been A-grade level this year and he’s getting better every game.

The hard-nosed decisions we could make are;
  • Angus
  • Johnson and Meek for WC 1st round
OR
Erasmus for WC 1st and 2nd
  • WC 1st for Horne-Francis
  • our 1st (plus something/WC 2nd) for Jackson
  • Lobb for Zurhaar
  • Treacy for Shannon Neale

Unrealistic and unpopular, but as Hawthorn did with us, we need to give something to get something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back