Review Round 11 vs Hawks at TIO Stadium, Saturday 28th May, 7:40pm AEST

KaySwizzle

Aug 19, 2020
Gold Coast
I feel sorry for Ben King must be hard to sit there and watch knowing he is a critical part of it
At least the team has been forced to look for more options. The “kick it to King” strat was getting old. Now we have proven we have other avenues to goal with a number of players getting a look at it.

King can now just come in and provide another option, making our forward line dynamic and unpredictable. We no longer rely on him, which is huge for us but will also take the pressure off him a bit.

Jirik13

Jan 22, 2018
Gold Coast
I feel like he was being over coached and was restricting himself on his natural play.. now he is playing his natural game style and happy football he is more confident and knows his role
Rankine admitted last season had been a tougher experience after a strong 2020 debut season — warranting more attention from defenders which saw him dropped by round 20.

“As soon as people figure out your game you have to find new ways to get free and new ways to play I guess,” he said.

“2021 was pretty hard, I wasn’t playing as well as I wanted to.

“My form was low, my confidence was low.

“(But) this year has been really good. I’ve just surrounded myself with good people.”

The Gotham Penguin

Give me fish - and The Batman!
Sep 26, 2019
Gold Coast
Watched from my sickbed - turns out I had Covid - just as well i didn't go to Ballarat...

Highly professional performance.
We did just as much as we needed to, to ensure a comfortable win.
We always seemed to have an extra gear to go to.

Great to see Ellis back on the wing (BOG for mine) - and Caleb - well played son, especially after the stick you've been copping. best game I've seen him play.

Beat Norf and we are in the 8.

I have to say though - the Hawks were putrid. I expected much more after the Brisbane win - but they were a disorganised, selfish rabble. Mitchell has a lot to sort out - I don't think they have bottomed out fully yet.

Anyhow - screw 'em.

We are on the up - and finals bound.
I can feel it in my waters.

PS: Someone said Abbey Holmes is pulling on the guernsey again for the Hawks AFLW side - is that right?

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
Gold Coast
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Can i ask, what's with the bitterness with Scrim?

Ik he left, but he wanted to go home and you guys weren't A. Giving him consistent games or B. Were s**t while also doing it, aka he was working to get into a s**t team at the time.

Genuine curious if there's something i'm missing?
We are disappointed in the way he acted at the club, using his phone in team meetings etc but we are also pissed at the club for giving him away for nothing. It’s been an ongoing issue with our list managers

But in the end he got what you said he wanted above, a go in a s**t team

Sep 25, 2012
Gold Coast
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Just watching the replay, and what the hell was that from Wingard going up and celebrating and getting in Ballards face when he kicked a goal while they were down 50. Embarrassing from someone who should be one of their leaders and prime movers.

Actually, looks like a few Hawks were weak as piss once the game started to get out of reach between him, Impey, Frost and a few others.

Dewyyyyy

Oct 28, 2020
Basicly being the posterchild for being a "homesick" Victorian that the "Upper 8" clubs hate with a passion - Forever on this board known by the "Bodsian Term" of "Bedwetter"

Said it was all fine and well to come to the Coast during the draft process but from day dot was planning to make a run for the border at the earliest opportunity. The aforementioned secret meetings between his family with Alistair Clark's on often get brushed over.

Apprently was on his phone during team meetings and film review ect - Expecting to be gifted games just for being a high pick ect.

Also might be a little bit personal for some of the posters here considering we had an alleged family member of "Scrimsook" on here constantly banging the drum for his inclusion about how good he is and what a basket case we were at the time and so on - Got pretty nasty towards the end.

I could be wrong on the timing but I believe this all lead to the new Suns direction of going after players who wanted to be at the club which started off with the Lachie Weller trade (Ironically that trade looked really good tonight with Lachie and Ballard being two of our best on)

Needless to say old mate #14 for your lot has the dubious honour of being a "Caddy Level Flog" - a tier only reserved for the most egregious of ex-Suns (Josh Caddy, Tom Lynch, Dan Gorringe ect.)

Hope that gives the context you're after, Not going to lie I took some personal pleasure in seeing him s**t the bed tonight (Not the fact that he got concussed though, Had enough of those myself. Not fun)

All the best next week mate 🤙
Appreciate it mate, it's a real eye opener, probably shows how much he's matured over the time because he's been one of the better blokes, players and trainers that we've had for a couple years.

I honestly thought he was one of our best players before going off aswell which makes it more bitter for me, sucks he got concussed. At that point he was probably one of 3 blokes who weren't fumbling often, or was able to get it long and out of the area. While others were being too cute and fumbling.

Gold Coast were awesome in these conditions, a real tip of the hat.

Mar 14, 2014
Gold Coast
Las Vegas Bears
Just watching the replay, and what the hell was that from Wingard going up and celebrating and getting in Ballards face when he kicked a goal while they were down 50. Embarrassing from someone who should be one of their leaders and prime movers.

Actually, looks like a few Hawks were weak as piss once the game started to get out of reach between him, Impey, Frost and a few others.
Wingard is and always has been an A grade flog

Jun 7, 2018
Gold Coast
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions

I thought the exact same thing watching live.

robo_1

Nov 11, 2017
Gold Coast
We are disappointed in the way he acted at the club, using his phone in team meetings etc but we are also pissed at the club for giving him away for nothing. It’s been an ongoing issue with our list managers

But in the end he got what you said he wanted above, a go in a s**t team

I just wish omeara got to play in last nights thumping too

GC2015

May 27, 2013
Gold Coast
Wingard is and always has been an A grade flog
The same bloke who reportedly told Port Adelaide he's worth a million dollars a season and demanded a five year deal at that pay grade. Port told him he could GAGF and he ran off to Melbourne with his tail between his legs. Not the best example of senior leadership for the young Hawks list.

Damo T

Aug 3, 2019
Gold Coast
Hawthorn supporters roasting the umpiring
They wouldn’t even have had 2 goals in the first quarter if the umpire had realised it wasn’t basketball he was umpiring
( note to Brad Scott 2 handed throws aren’t cool)
Honestly if they thought the umpiring in any way contributed to that loss their heads are in the sand

They have short memories. They had the rub of the green against the Lions last week. In no way did the umpiring effect the outcome. Out worked plain and simple. Great to see some Suns jumpers in the crowd. The AFL has supplied us with a great opportunity with NT zone. If we can keep winning support will grow.

The Kings Ransom

Aug 30, 2021
Gold Coast
Appreciate it mate, it's a real eye opener, probably shows how much he's matured over the time because he's been one of the better blokes, players and trainers that we've had for a couple years.

I honestly thought he was one of our best players before going off aswell which makes it more bitter for me, sucks he got concussed. At that point he was probably one of 3 blokes who weren't fumbling often, or was able to get it long and out of the area. While others were being too cute and fumbling.

Gold Coast were awesome in these conditions, a real tip of the hat.
you reckon he was good? I must admit I probably wasn't as focussed on the Hawthorn players but I can't remember one occasion that he showed much poise and found a short target, or switched it to the open side for space, or kicked it inside to set up a scoring chain, or showed some defensive aggression.

Hanging out the back of the back of the pack to kick it long down the line and taking kick outs were my memory of his game.

16 disposals (4 of which were play on kick ins)
2 contested possessions
6 turnovers
0 tackles
1 spoil
2 intercept possessions
1 score involvement