Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wray27

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
This thread is amusing - after a loss we need to cut about 10 players from the list and there are holes everywhere, after a great win we are worried about how we are going to fit players like acres, Aish, Tucker, Erasmus, Johnson etc etc into our B22 for the next 5 years. I will admit I’m as bad as anyone else at times in that regard too!
The truth is that we need to continuously strengthen the list to have sustained success. If you are standing still, you are falling back. When the tigers brought in Tom lynch after winning a flag, everybody said “they don’t need him”.
But they did and he’s one of their best players now.

For me we are still a bit blunt in attack. I think that area of the ground needs to be strengthened despite a great victory yesterday.
Logues emergence as a tall forward option was a big positive last night. Now we have a way of fitting a guy who is top 15 on the list in talent, into the 22. We shifted him from an area where there is a surplus of talent to the spot where the talent is most shallow.
Good coaching, even if it should have been tried several weeks ago.
Fredericks breakout game last night was timely. He’s been poor before last night but has 2 things in his favour - he’s young and still on the steep upward part of his improvement curve, and secondly he has elite pace and is starting to look like he can use it.
This is why he’s a better long term option than some of the other small and medium forwards we have been playing recently.

Aish was great last night in the second half, but he’s been pretty ordinary plenty of times in the past too. I would have no qualms replacing him with Gus Brayshaw for the next 100 games. Let them fight it out for a place in the team if need be, the winners will be the club in that instance.
This thread is amusing - after a loss we need to cut about 10 players from the list and there are holes everywhere, after a great win we are worried about how we are going to fit players like acres, Aish, Tucker, Erasmus, Johnson etc etc into our B22 for the next 5 years. I will admit I’m as bad as anyone else at times in that regard too!
The truth is that we need to continuously strengthen the list to have sustained success. If you are standing still, you are falling back. When the tigers brought in Tom lynch after winning a flag, everybody said “they don’t need him”.
But they did and he’s one of their best players now.

For me we are still a bit blunt in attack. I think that area of the ground needs to be strengthened despite a great victory yesterday.
Logues emergence as a tall forward option was a big positive last night. Now we have a way of fitting a guy who is top 15 on the list in talent, into the 22. We shifted him from an area where there is a surplus of talent to the spot where the talent is most shallow.
Good coaching, even if it should have been tried several weeks ago.
Fredericks breakout game last night was timely. He’s been poor before last night but has 2 things in his favour - he’s young and still on the steep upward part of his improvement curve, and secondly he has elite pace and is starting to look like he can use it.
This is why he’s a better long term option than some of the other small and medium forwards we have been playing recently.

Aish was great last night in the second half, but he’s been pretty ordinary plenty of times in the past too. I would have no qualms replacing him with Gus Brayshaw for the next 100 games. Let them fight it out for a place in the team if need be, the winners will be the club in that instance.
I disagree re Aish. Coaches disagree re Aish. He is the perfect utility player and has been very good since he has got back to full fitness. Most forget he ripped his hammy in his first pre season game for us down at Mandurah. (Plus he’s my buddy so will defend him stridently)

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
That

Lachie Neale is a no deal for me, price to reward gain isn’t there. Plays the same role as Brodie for a 10% gain in output as it stands. Contracted and worth more to Brisbane then is means we pay way too much. The appeal of Gus is the flexibility and trade price, makes a lot more sense
Totally agree.

Let’s say Gus Brayshaw impact is 80% of Neale and 80% of Neale’s salary. Got a feeling that Gus would increase his impact if played on the ball.

Brayshaw won’t cost any draft assets and Neale it’s two first round picks.

Age is another factor, Brayshaw is 26 and Neale is 29.

Brayshaw can play multiple roles and leadership wise is superior to Neale.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
The hard-nosed decisions we could make are;
  • Angus
  • Johnson and Meek for WC 1st round
OR
Erasmus for WC 1st and 2nd
  • WC 1st for Horne-Francis
  • our 1st (plus something/WC 2nd) for Jackson
  • Lobb for Zurhaar
  • Treacy for Shannon Neale

Unrealistic and unpopular, but as Hawthorn did with us, we need to give something to get something.
Lol

mayne man

Senior List
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
  • Angus
OR
  • Lobb for Zurhaar

Unrealistic and unpopular, but as Hawthorn did with us, we need to give something to get something.
Here is a crazy idea!
Let’s pick Angus up as a free agent and make no trades with players on our list.

Go to the draft again and Just develop the young talent on our list

• Angus
OR
  • Lobb for Zurhaar

Too complicated, just trade all of Brayshaw, Darcy and Serong and we can get all the players, simples

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
  • Angus
OR
  • Lobb for Zurhaar

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We don’t need to promise anyone a place in our B22 though. Maybe a handful like Brayshaw and Darcy but most of the list is prone to form fluctuations and ups and downs. Especially guys like Aish, acres Lobb, and unproven kids like Erasmus and Johnson.
My point (poorly made maybe) is that we don’t need to be worrying about not being able to fit hot and cold players into our team if we trade in players like Gus Brayshaw or Lachie Neale.

Lachie Neale is possibly the best player in the AFL right now.
If he wants to come to freo at the end of the season, the key decision is can we afford the draft capital required.
It’s not is he going to take midfield minutes from kids who have never even played a game of AFL footy or some up and down role players.
If you can take the best player from a rival and plonk him in our midfield for the next 3 or 4 years, without paying too much in draft capital, just do it.

Tucker is ****ing useless mate. He’s only best 25 because Erasmus, Johnson and NOD are still developing. Should be getting around 3-4 games a year once our kids develop.

I’d happily offload him this year for a third or fourth rounder. Next year he’s a free agent so I hope we don’t offer him a contract. If someone else is stupid enough to offer him a contract we get a pick - otherwise delisting him is the obvious list management decision.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
  • Angus
OR
  • Lobb for Zurhaar

Let’s see:

Angus - maybe if we have the cap space.
Johnson and Meek - West Coast won’t do that for Pick 1/2.
Erasmus - As above, let alone the extra pick as well.
Horne-Francis - North won’t trade him
Jackson - Maybe if the something else is next year’s first
Lobb/Zurhaar - North have forward/rucks on their list. Lobb is too old. They’ll want a draft pick.
Treacy/Neale - Way in Geelong’s favour at this stage.

Wray27

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
  • Angus
OR
  • Lobb for Zurhaar

Our current list needs right now are
1. The role Logue played yesterday. Can he play that week to week. Who knows. Most are hoping Sturt can but as #snuffaluphagus posted elsewhere the Logue play yesterday highlights what the club is looking for in Sturt. He’s not doing that at Peel atm.
2. Ready to go KPF backups for Tabs. I think one of Treacy/Amiss will eventually but a backup forward is immediate need. If we can get a combo ruck forward even better. Pick up the best available in the MSD.
I’ve watched a lot of Strom last 3 years and he’s a a fantastic competitor. Doesn’t always rack up the possessions but leaves nothing on the field. He costs us nothing. It Will be very interesting to see what happens tomorrow in the MSD.
3. The ruck/forward replacement for Lobb in the longer term. I’d sign Lobb to a contract extension tomorrow if I was guareenteed he play like that every week. This is why the Jackson trade talk is so interesting.
I am happy to give 2 years of early draft picks now for him if Lobb was to leave.
What we DO NOT do is trade away Erasmus, Johnson or Treacy. These boys are the cream filling in cake in 2025 supporting Brayshaw, Serong, Brodie, Walker, Chapman, Frederick, Switta, Shoota, Young, Logue, Clark, Cox, Darcy(I think that’s all the current 22, 25 and under+ plus NOD, Amiss currently inj.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
  • Angus
OR
  • Lobb for Zurhaar

I know it's just a bit of left field thinking and theory crafting Gav, but it can't be good for the culture (buzzword alert) Longmuir has built if our young players think there's a chance they could be shipped off to one of the worst teams in the AFL purely so we can continue to chase picks high picks and mega trades.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
  • Angus
OR
  • Lobb for Zurhaar

No way WC give pick one or two plus something else for Erasmus and I certainly don't think they're giving pick one or two for Johnson who they didn't rate at 14 last year and Meek...that's just insane

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think so. I might be wrong and can’t find where I read that. Will dig around some more.

Edit:Wednesday

4:30 Wednesday.

I can usually knock off work around then so will probably listen in on the train.

Knowing how these things usually work I’ll make an effort just to hear two jounos at afl.com ramble on for 20 minutes then we’ll pass at our selection.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Once you get up near the top 10% makes all the difference though right? I’m not trying to undersell Neale who is having a terrific year and is clearly a better player. I did originally say 10-20% better but decided it was the Freo board so went with the lower number. What’s the difference in output between an A-grade player and top 5 player? Brodie has been A-grade level this year and he’s getting better every game.
Neale came out and committed to the 2 years, after entertaining a trade. This is a non event. Brisbane had no interest in trading then and we will get a gauge on whether he wants to leave in 2023 when he puts off contract talks.

We should have a red hot crack at Gus Brayshaw, failing that re-sign Mundy for a final 12-months, then offer Neale a contract when he is out of contract at the end of the 2023 season.

Next season we hopefully have Fyfe for more games, Mundy/Gus Brayshaw, Brodie’s continual improvement and then the need to get midfield games into Matthew Johnson and Neil Erasmus.

I’m warming to your idea of Cam Zuuhar for future 2nd. A full season (2022) in the WAFL for Sam Sturt isn’t the worst thing, but I’m sure he’ll get a taste of AFL at some stage in the second half of the year.

Tucker some chance to be traded out because he is not versatile enough. Tried backline in 2021, been on the wing a bit this year and just goes missing for too long. He will shortly see the Blakely writing on the wall and if there is some interest again this off season he should take up the offer. He is falling well down the queue and Henry on the Wing at Peel will continue to take shape. We get a third round pick for Tucker. Perhaps Tucker and Zuuhar swap with pick upgrades/sweeteners in Norths favour.

There was some extreme hatred towards Lobb last week. I stuck fat and reminded posters that the weather we encountered was terrible for a tall forward/ruck who bases his game on contested marking. He was definitely off against GC coming back from COVID but tried against Pies. Anyway if he goes we need a replacement. Darcy Cameron perhaps and we end up with the improved draft hand. I actually hope he stays. He has been a solid trade at his price on reflection. 11,19 > Lobb, 14,43,47.

You have been all in on Luke Jackson but I’d rather we just add a few bit pieces to the list and keep a solid draft hand.

Last edited:
Neale came out and committed to the 2 years, after entertaining a trade. This is a non event. Brisbane had no interest in trading then and we will get a gauge on whether he wants to leave in 2023 when he puts off contract talks.

We should have a red hot crack at Gus Brayshaw, failing that re-sign Mundy for a final 12-months, then offer Neale a contract when he is out of contract at the end of the 2023 season.

Next season we hopefully have Fyfe for more games, Mundy/Gus Brayshaw, Brodie’s continual improvement and then the need to get midfield games into Matthew Johnson and Neil Erasmus.

I’m warming to your idea of Cam Zuuhar for future 2nd. A full season in the WAFL for Sam Sturt isn’t the worst thing.

Tucker some chance to be traded out because he is not versatile enough. Tried backline in 2021, been on the wing a bit this year and just goes missing for too long. He will shortly see the Blakely writing on the wall and if there is some interest again this off season he should take up the officer. We get a third round pick.

There was some extreme hatred towards Lobb last week. I stuck fat and reminded posters that the weather we encountered was terrible for a tall forward/ruck who bases his game on contested marking. He was definitely off against GC coming back from COVID but tried against Pies. Anyway if he goes we need a replacement. Darcy Cameron perhaps and we end up with the improved draft hand. I actually hope he stays. He has been a solid trade at his price on reflection. 11,19 > Lobb, 14,43,47.

You have been all in on Luke Jackson but I’d rather we just add a few bit pieces to the list and keep a solid draft hand.
My preference is now to keep Lobb, get Gus as a FA and get Zurhaar. I think that’s realistically the best use of resources.

We are going to have an annoying hole to fill if we lose Lobb though which is the biggest wrinkle in everything

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was some extreme hatred towards Lobb last week

The usual idiots panicking after a loss. Some guy was in here claiming we were totally f'ed, our list was screwed and we were at least 5+ years from contending. ROFL. Best to ignore these fools. They blow hot and cold faster than a thin crust pizza outside Dominos Albany in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back