• Angus
  • Johnson and Meek for WC 1st round
OR
Erasmus for WC 1st and 2nd
  • WC 1st for Horne-Francis
  • our 1st (plus something/WC 2nd) for Jackson
  • Lobb for Zurhaar
  • Treacy for Shannon Neale

Unrealistic and unpopular, but as Hawthorn did with us, we need to give something to get something.
Some of these trade suggestions are totally unrealistic.
Erasmus for pick 1 and pick 19? I mean, I like Neil and all but he’s not Chris Judd or Wayne Carey!
Likewise - a reserve ruck taken with pick 70 a few years ago and a promising but unproven pick 21 from last year who is yet to play in the AFL for pick 1?
The eagles fans would Burn Lathlain to the ground if that happened and I couldn’t blame them!

Let’s see:

Angus - maybe if we have the cap space.
Johnson and Meek - West Coast won’t do that for Pick 1/2.
Erasmus - As above, let alone the extra pick as well.
Horne-Francis - North won’t trade him
Jackson - Maybe if the something else is next year’s first
Lobb/Zurhaar - North have forward/rucks on their list. Lobb is too old. They’ll want a draft pick.
Treacy/Neale - Way in Geelong’s favour at this stage.

I think we lack balance in our list, and also have too many players in development. The best opportunity we have to win a premiership is when Fyfe, and to a lesser extent Mundy and Walters are on our list. That's the next 2 seasons.

What we don't need is more players in development. We don't need development depth, we need playing depth.

Some of these trade suggestions are totally unrealistic.
Erasmus for pick 1 and pick 19? I mean, I like Neil and all but he’s not Chris Judd or Wayne Carey!
Likewise - a reserve ruck taken with pick 70 a few years ago and a promising but unproven pick 21 from last year who is yet to play in the AFL for pick 1?
The eagles fans would Burn Lathlain to the ground if that happened and I couldn’t blame them!
Assuming Johnson debuts and plays well he will be a very attractive player for them. Meek seems to be the best listed AFL ruck not in a best 22. Pretty common for rucks to be taken with late picks isn't it?

If you even dream of trading Erasmus and Johnson to West Coast, you better wake up and apologise.
OR

What I dream about is winning a premiership. That's the only point for debate. I think those trades would make that more likely. The same debate Hawthorn had when we grabbed at Croad.

What I dream about is winning a premiership

I would consider those two players essential pieces to winning multiple premierships.

I'll give you Meek, Lobb, Tucker and our future draft currency to play with, but not Ras and Johno. That's self immolation territory.

And the thought of us helping West Coast get better is not ok.

If you even dream of trading Erasmus and Johnson to West Coast, you better wake up and apologise.
Agreed. Neither are going anywhere. We are in a good position where we can let them do the majority of their developing at WAFL. As has been the case Erasmus has played a few games and Johnson might get a look in later in the year but they will be playing a fair bit at Peel. Henry is warming slowly to the Wing position with more games at Peel. NOD played a full season at WAFL in 2021 and looked good when he came into the side this year. At times last year some were saying NOD won’t make it. Give them time at Peel. Same goes for Treacy and Amiss.

We don’t need to be trading out these youngsters for even younger draftees just because a brand new shiny present looks more appealing. Freo were apparently line ball between picking Erasmus or Johnson at 10. They are good friends and played a lot of juniors together at Subiaco.

West Coast will end up with pick 1 or 2. Good chance if they end up with pick 2 that will drop a spot with Marcus Ashcroft prob in that top 3 mix. They have to hold this pick and go to the draft. It would be a big mistake for them trade out pick 1-3 and they would get crucified if they did so.

Some of the trades put forward by the likes of Adelaide and Richmond to get a hold of North’s pick one were much much more appealing than the proposed.

Absolutely pointless even discussing Eagles trading their early pick in my opinion.

OR

What I dream about is winning a premiership. That's the only point for debate. I think those trades would make that more likely. The same debate Hawthorn had when we grabbed at Croad.

Of course they would… as would the following trades:

Connor Blakely for Clayton Oliver
Bailey Banfield for Bayley Fritsch
Darcy Tucker for Max King
Mitch Crowden for Jason Horne-Francis
Nathan Wilson for Luke Jackson
Future Fourth Rounder for Charlie Cameron

feels like we're getting screwed here, who's going to be our sub if we lose Banfield!!!

If a club is willing to offer two first round picks, including pick #1 or #2 for one of our players we will absolutely need to look at that - maybe even strongly consider that. But I put it in the same basket as when every single list manager who holds the #1 pick says "we will absolutely look at offers to trade pick #1, we won't rule out trading it if the right deal came along" and then none of them ever trade it.

I was waiting for someone to follow up with something like this…amazing reply Docker82

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a club is willing to offer two first round picks, including pick #1 or #2 for one of our players we will absolutely need to look at that - maybe even strongly consider that. But I put it in the same basket as when every single list manager who holds the #1 pick says "we will absolutely look at offers to trade pick #1, we won't rule out trading it if the right deal came along" and then none of them ever trade it.

Every player has their price but by the same token when was the last player we traded that didn’t request a trade away from the footy club.

Did Paul Medhurst request a trade in 2006? Might be the last one.

Player of Angus’ quality as a free hit? What’s not to like?
not a free hit, he will cost $$ and we are entering the manage the cap phase

If him coming puts us at risk of losing others then it isn't worth it, Brayshaw won't play mid ahead of any of our players, he won't be needed in defense, he hasn't proven any ability to play forward, so where does he play?

not a free hit, he will cost $$ and we are entering the manage the cap phase

If him coming puts us at risk of losing others then it isn't worth it, Brayshaw won't play mid ahead of any of our players, he won't be needed in defense, he hasn't proven any ability to play forward, so where does he play?
He replaces Acres in the team, and adds to our midfield rotation.

Add him and Zurhaar, and we look good. I would like one more small forward as well, or mid who can push forward.

He replaces Acres in the team, and adds to our midfield rotation.

Add him and Zurhaar, and we look good. I would like one more small forward as well, or mid who can push forward.
Acres has been great this year, don't think the "upgrade" to Gus is worth the money, especially if it ends up costing other better players.

Broughton was pushed out.

I am sure there was a few others

100% he was. Remember being pissed off by that one.

Technically we can’t trade players against their will though. We can try and convince someone into but if they say no they generally stay put.

If Jackson comes I’m reasonably confident it’ll be two first rounders and change for that reason. That change would be either sh** picks or a fringe player Melbourne has interest in (god knows why they’d have interest in one of our fringe players but stranger things have happened).

Oh I agree, we’d definitely have to look at it if someone wants to give us pick one and pick 19 for Neil Erasmus.
Likewise I’d definitely have to have a serious think about it if Selena Gomez or Margot Robbie or Kendal Jenner wanted to date me.

Woah, woah, woah...I think you'd have to bring a little more to the table for Bailey "bang and crash" Banfield!

I know 'privacy' and all that but I wish we could know player rem, I'm really interested to know what we do with our out of contract players this offseason and in the next few years. From Taylors excellent spread sheet here is my attempt at a salary cap guess

OOC - Payrise
Noddy: Probably best 22 now and 2nd round draftee wages arent much
Logue: Doubt his last contract was much of an upgrade on the draftee wage, best 22 in some shape or form now and heavily sort after (if Colon Young is to be believed).

OOC - Consistent on above base wages
Aish: The definitive role player but I'd imagine it's 300-400 and what he was already on.
Acres: We bit off a bit to take on the contract didnt we? I'd imagine again in the 300-400 range. Given he's only now putting it together, if I'm Bell, I'm offering 3 years at closer to 300, or 2 years closer to 400. While he's been better this year, the historical flakiness could hurt as we enter contender status
Pearce: Can't imagine he gets a payrise on his last contract historical given availability concerns and he signed that last one as an unmitigated gun. Might even be a decrease in pay

The rest of the out of contracts are either base wages effectively or delists so imagine it doesnt make a difference to our cap in anyway. Maybe we save a bit on someone like Sturt if we keep him.

2023 Expiring Value (Players We'll Save Money on by the end of Next Year)
Tucker: Will be on rookie contract his next extension or traded / movedon
Fyfe: We'll save like 400k a year here I'd imagine
Walters: Imagine it cant be for whatever he's on now, if he goes around again even
Henry: He'll be on less then whatever he got as a top 10 pick's first extension
Hamling: We'll save like 400k a year here

2023 Big Payrise
Schultz, Serong, Freddy, Switta are obvious. If Treacy and/or Amiss lock themselves into the best 22, it will be a big contract

Likely Current Value Contracts with more than 2 years to go
Brayshaw: He should be on 700-800k really but I doubt his extension was anywhere near that, and we have him signed till 2025 - awesome
Brodie: Came over as a salary dump but we offset that by extending the contract by a year. There is no way we have a contract on our books anywhere close to as team friendly as this one and it's possibly the best value contract in the comp - Thanks GC
Darcy: He signed an extension middle of last year right, before he was basically known as 2nd best ruck in the comp? Thanks for that one Suma
Walker: Best 22 in a contending side but signed on as a pick 50 with a bit of promise
Chapman: Probably on about his value as it stands as a 1st round pick first extension that's best 22 but I imagine by next year and the year after it's going to be an absolute bargain

Bad Contracts
Hughes: If he is actually signed on tll 2024 on anything other than rookie wages then yeah, this is clearly a bad one
Ras/Johnson: Thanks to GC, I dont think any of these high pick first extensions are value, not that I care, just need to mention in here

Overall
Fyfe and Hamling contracts are going to save us A LOT of room, when you add into that some of bargain contracts we likely have on decent term deals, I think we'd be really really well placed for the next 2 yearsv after this one. It could start getting real tough from the end of 2024 though

Last edited:
OR

You only get one Alan Bond

I have real doubts Erasmus for instance is a top ten pick, looking at the way he kicks the ball...His other areas are very solid.

IMO, Brayshaw is the free hit we're looking for.
I'm not sold on Zurhaar at all.
I'd look at something involving Meek, and look for ruck cover.
I'd trade Darcy Tucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back