TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course the market is too fragmented - but that’s deliberate. Streaming services know that football fans will pay to watch their team, cos we’ve always had to. (When we weren’t paying to watch, you usually didn’t get to see them)

But as someone who doesn’t even have an EPL team, and still paid the $100 a season to watch, on average, 1-2 games a week (just for entertainment & convenience), Optus could not have made it more easy to give up. I love that their “changes” are to double the price for 1080 that they could/should have been providing us anyway.

I imagine next season having Kayo for the BEiN content, and Paramount for A-League, and maybe Stan from Feb-May. It sucks needing 3 streaming services for football, but that’s just our reality as football fans. (Sucks worse I guess if you’re a fan of an EPL team going deep in the UCL - that’s getting costly.)

I guess the positive is that you start to figure out when you need each service. For example, you give up Stan today (and probably paramount, given they’re only showing friendlies for the next few months), you spend your next 3 months catching up on Netflix content, then in 3 months you ditch Netflix and go back to Paramount and Stan for the 2nd half of the UCL. (I keep Kayo all year… though maybe not now, we’ve lost 2 of the best parts of Fox Crickets coverage.)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

we’ve lost 2 of the best parts of Fox Crickets coverage.
Sad Oprah Winfrey GIF

Still too raw.

I have Stan, Optus, Foxtel and Paramount just to watch all my favourite sport. I watch Man City Games on all platforms as well as A-League matches featuring Melbourne Victory. It wasn't long ago when all sports is on one TV provider.

Have they confirmed what is happening with those with existing plans? Can they legally add a charge?

What does legality have to do with it? They're notifying people that as of a particular date the prices will change, you have until then to continue to stay signed up or you can unsubscribe. No different to Netflix etc. advising of an increase in charge.

What does legality have to do with it? They're notifying people that as of a particular date the prices will change, you have until then to continue to stay signed up or you can unsubscribe. No different to Netflix etc. advising of an increase in charge.

It's not the same at all, Netflix is a monthly charge and not a contract, I have a contract with Optus for 24 months that includes Optus Sport. They wouldn't be able to suddenly charge me an extra phone cost.

I imagine it will be no new contracts will include Optus Sports as part of the package.

Optus hasn't really read the room well on this one, things clearly not going well for them to do such a large increase.

I wonder how they are approaching complaints from those who signed a contract on thr basis PL was included at no cost now bring asked for $7 a month.

Huge backlash on social media over this.

It's not the same at all, Netflix is a monthly charge and not a contract, I have a contract with Optus for 24 months that includes Optus Sport. They wouldn't be able to suddenly charge me an extra phone cost.

I imagine it will be no new contracts will include Optus Sports as part of the package.
You have the option to opt out of the $7 charge. It was considered a bonus feature rather than a core component of your contract. I guess that will be their legal standing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how they are approaching complaints from those who signed a contract on thr basis PL was included at no cost now bring asked for $7 a month.

Huge backlash on social media over this.
If they lost the rights, you would have lost access too. How would that stand in regards contracts including a phone? They wouldn’t just let you opt out and keep the phone. I’m sure there’s something in the fine print we all gloss over.

You have the option to opt out of the $7 charge. It was considered a bonus feature rather than a core component of your contract. I guess that will be their legal standing.

Interesting standing considering the many ads promoting Optus Sport inclusion at no extra cost when signing a mobile phone contract.

I imagine consumer affairs will be quite busy over this. Optus (singtel) who are making record profits must surely look at this and wonder if it is worth the aggro.

If they lost the rights, you would have lost access too. How would that stand in regards contracts including a phone? They wouldn’t just let you opt out and keep the phone. I’m sure there’s something in the fine print we all gloss over.

Optus just got the rights for the next 4 years didn't they?

Interesting standing considering the many ads promoting Optus Sport inclusion at no extra cost when signing a mobile phone contract.

I imagine consumer affairs will be quite busy over this. Optus (singtel) who are making record profits must surely look at this and wonder if it is worth the aggro.
Well they were offering Fetch boxes as part of internet packages and that dried up when Telstra stepped in to buy 51% of Fetch…

Well they were offering Fetch boxes as part of internet packages and that dried up when Telstra stepped in to buy 51% of Fetch…

Are they charging extra for existing contracts though for the fetch box?

I understand from now on Optus plans wont include PL.

Its the slugging existing agreed deals the $7 monthly fee thats the issue here.

They're notifying you of the increase in charge, you can opt out.

So as of today if you want to watch all football you must subscribe to:

Optus Sport $25 / month (Premier League)
Stan + Stan Sport $24 / month (Stan sport not available as standlone sub) for European football
Kayo $25 / month for ESPN & Bein Channels
Paramount $9 / month for A League, Socceroos & FA Cup.

So all up $82 / month for just football related content. That's a joke.

So as of today if you want to watch all football you must subscribe to:

Optus Sport $25 / month (Premier League)
Stan + Stan Sport $24 / month (Stan sport not available as standlone sub) for European football
Kayo $25 / month for ESPN & Bein Channels
Paramount $9 / month for A League, Socceroos & FA Cup.

So all up $82 / month for just football related content. That's a joke.

Optus Sport annual sub is $16.58 per month or $6.99 with a phone plan.

And being real for a second, most will share accounts. I share with my bro and sis. I pay for Optus Sport, Prime and Stan (w/ sport), my bro pays for Kayo, AppleTV+ and Disney+ and my sis has Netflix, Binge and Paramount+. So we all come in around $40 each and pretty much have everything between us.

we can always put subs on hold when not required too…

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back