TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Well Joondalup is halfway between Yanchep and Perth. So a 2nd Tier Stadium there make a good centre for the north-western corridor.

View attachment 1048351
Thanks for the map - Should point out for non Perthies - The housing estates up there are not confined to the coastal strip which lies between the now 4 lane Marmion Ave to Yanchep and the beaches. New Estates are appearing east of Marmion Ave and the to be Perth- Yanchep railway line.
It looks like the Yanchep National Park may constrain some development at Yanchep but that is years away.
Also Yanchep is not the furtherest the population has spread - Two Rocks is further North from Yanchep but is currently small and is on the edge of the Crayfishing areas up the coast.
One final point, various State Govts have looked into the future and as a result that region within 3/6 years will be served by the Mitchell Freeway and the Perth-Yanchep railway. The region just cannot be ignored - It will be in the future too big to overlook.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
This should make Freo Oval a 2nd Tier AFL venue.

755AC834-2D7A-4B42-8EF2-BE61F286A61B.jpeg

Four page officer report from page 54

07560505-5156-448A-AB1A-84F2A2F10516.jpeg

master plan from page 32 of the attachments

A851F9CC-2A4F-4E3B-9985-9F34B756698D.jpeg

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
They've been talking about it for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Don't underestimate the council's ability to come on at the last minute and block it due to a lack of solar panels or water recycling.
The capacity of 16,000 is not up to AFL requirements considering the crowds at Optus for both AFL clubs. However if Optus not avail for some reason you never know but then the WACA might be used. Lots of speculation on this.
The old wall in front of the old prison facing the oval is coming down- Cannot recall seeing guards walking along it way back.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The capacity of 16,000 is not up to AFL requirements considering the crowds at Optus for both AFL clubs. However if Optus not avail for some reason you never know but then the WACA might be used. Lots of speculation on this.
The old wall in front of the old prison facing the oval is coming down- Cannot recall seeing guards walking along it way back.

There's not any intention to ever play AFL games there. Only pre-season and AFLW.

16,000 is more than necessary - i'm more concerned that there's enough for 5,000 people to be able to sit in relative comfort. Hopefully the terracing in the North West corner has some decent seating and cover, they upgrade the seating in the Victoria Pavilion and the new SFFC clubrooms have a couple of thousand good seats as well.
But like I said, i'll believe it when I see it.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
They've been talking about it for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Don't underestimate the council's ability to come on at the last minute and block it due to a lack of solar panels or water recycling.

Still plenty of time for the Freo Society to jump up and demand the cultural and historic aesthetic of a car park in between the oval and the grandstand is preserved in any new design too.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Slightly off topic, but where do you think these could be located? Would Ellenbrook get a look in, or Armadale?
EDIT: Noticed you said Yanchep and Rockingham too, makes sense.

Do they have to be in Perth? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the WAFC oversees all WA leagues and not just the WAFL, right? If that's the case, perhaps Hands Oval in Bunbury could be one of the two.

Pretty much all the WAFL venues fit this criteria except East Fremantle Oval, don't they? And perhaps Lathlain.

If I were picking two it'd be Fremantle Oval and Bassendean.

Lathlain Park has a station very close to it and is a short walk to Albany Highway cafes and pubs. It is by far the best-located stadium for anyone living on or near the Armadale or Thornlie lines.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Re the March 2021 election - The current Govt is a shoe in at this time.
Wonder where the idea came from for these two 2nd Tier AFL Venues. So if we consider Optus as First Tier now way above every other WA venue where does that leave the WAFC.
Do they look to the future with Perth going North in one direction and sort of South in the other and build/upgrade 2nd Tier Venues catering for that.
Or do they stick to the present and stay with for example - The inner city WACA and inner City of Fremantle Oval.
Australians as a whole are notoriously deficient in planning for the future but looks like that is changing.

In terms of planning for the future - wow, they are hopeless. A new rectangular stadium should have been built for Perth Glory in 1996-97 and Perth Oval should have been a heritage-protected Aussie Rules ground for East Perth and maybe one other club.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
For the same reason West Perth moved to Joondalup. East Freo are enclosed and the suburbs are growing south and south-east. They have a home ground that is apparently being improved but historically has had the worst facilities for spectators of any ground. Only Claremont has been historically close to being as bad, but at least you could get there by train.
The more complex move that works better geographically (but will never happen) would be for South Freo to move south and East Freo to move to fremantle oval and East Freo oval becomes a community asset.

West Perth should have stayed at Leederville but claimed the northern suburbs as a zone anyway. East Freo can do the same. Never underestimate the negative social and cultural impact of cutting off ties between a club and a community.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Perhaps the Community aspect of this ground as well is why it is getting a 20 Million dollar kiss of life. Once a facility like this disappears it is gone forever.
Have no idea what the surrounding catchment area is like for Sports Clubs and Schools.
Personally never liked the ground at all back in the WAFL hey day.

Yes, it was a tough ground for away teams back in the day - you would exit the 106 bus on Canning Highway (easy to miss the stop), walk through suburban streets, feel the ice-cold wind and then be greeted with the sight of grey tin sheds and barb-wire. This walk is recounted in the first chapter of the book Goodbye Leederville Oval (memoir of a West Perth fan).

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I notice that in the 2021 State Election both major parties have pledged $20m to redevelop East Fremantle Oval:

I checked the Town of East Freo website and found this.

View attachment 1044706

View attachment 1044707

Including a 3D fly through

It would seem this kills off the idea of Sharks and Bulldogs both playing out of an upgraded Fremantle Oval, to give enough revenue to sustain it as a 2nd Tier AFL Venue. Perhaps it can still be sustained without the Sharks.

That plan suggests nothing major planned for the southern end - you would think that that end could be developed like at the southern end of Lathlain.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks for the map - Should point out for non Perthies - The housing estates up there are not confined to the coastal strip which lies between the now 4 lane Marmion Ave to Yanchep and the beaches. New Estates are appearing east of Marmion Ave and the to be Perth- Yanchep railway line.
It looks like the Yanchep National Park may constrain some development at Yanchep but that is years away.
Also Yanchep is not the furtherest the population has spread - Two Rocks is further North from Yanchep but is currently small and is on the edge of the Crayfishing areas up the coast.
One final point, various State Govts have looked into the future and as a result that region within 3/6 years will be served by the Mitchell Freeway and the Perth-Yanchep railway. The region just cannot be ignored - It will be in the future too big to overlook.

It would be so ironic if West Perth found themselves too far south again and tried to relocate to Yanchep.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
It would be so ironic if West Perth found themselves too far south again and tried to relocate to Yanchep.
Yes the West Perth footy club being based at Joondy is well to the south of future growth.
The Yanchep ground I think has had some more work on it due to high demand from the surrounding population growth.
It is 30 kilometres from the Joondalup CBD to the Yanchep town site.
It is also 30 kilometres from Perth CBD to the Joondalup CBD which now has a Volvo electric bus operating shuttle service in its CBD. First in WA.

This is the footy club showing the way for our game at the end of the to be Mitchell Freeway extension. It was formed in 1994 when there was not that much up there except for the popular long established Yanchep National Park.
"The official Facebook for the Yanchep Red Hawks Senior Football Club"!
"We are a family club with league and reserves sides playing in the Perth Football League C4 competition."
It appears that they have added a Womens/Youth team this year, who won their first game 9 wks ago.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Yes the West Perth footy club being based at Joondy is well to the south of future growth.
The Yanchep ground I think has had some more work on it due to high demand from the surrounding population growth.
It is also 30 kilometres from Perth CBD to the Joondalup CBD which now has a Volvo electric bus operating shuttle service in its CBD. First in WA.

This is the footy club showing the way for our game at the end of the to be Mitchell Freeway extension. It was formed in 1994 when there was not that much up there except for the popular long established Yanchep National Park.
"We are a family club with league and reserves sides playing in the Perth Football League C4 competition."
It appears that they have added a Womens/Youth team this year, who won their first game 9 wks ago.
The local federal MP for the area has just released population growth figures for the area north of the Joondalup Council. That area is covered by the Wanneroo Council.
"60,000 additional residents are expected to move into the Northern Coastal suburbs up to ALKIMOS and YANCHEP by 2030 which is only 9 years away."
The Joondalup Council is expected to add 10,000 residents in the same period.
What does all this mean for footy - Likely more Clubs/Teams/Juniors up there over time. Have no idea if a 3rd AFL Club could eventuate in the region.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

I hope than that Yanchep Red Hawks' ambition and drive can reap dividends and maybe see them promoted right up to WAFL level if that's what they want. It is too bad that there is no identifiable second-tier as with the Sunday Football League. I guess that would be A-grade amateurs these days.

Too late now probably, and not football-related, but with Perth's urban sprawl probably breaking world records or not far off, maybe cities of 100,000-400,000 should have been spread around the bottom half of the state instead to soak up some growth. A "Canberra" or two should have been planted.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Too late now probably, and not football-related, but with Perth's urban sprawl probably breaking world records or not far off, maybe cities of 100,000-400,000 should have been spread around the bottom half of the state instead to soak up some growth. A "Canberra" or two should have been planted.
There's still time, but unfortunately, politicians in Australia have shown no ambition for that sort of thing since the 70s. McGowan has the numbers to make it happen, but I don't think he cares.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
With the coming AFLW season moving forward to be played from September to December, and a possible expansion to a full season of playing every team once, how do you think the Freo and Eagles games should be fixtured.

All 9 home games each at Freo Oval and Lathlain Park respectively?

Or maybe 5 home games at their respective bases each. And then the other 4 home games spread across other WAFL and regional grounds to take the games to the people and to help boost the revenue at the grounds and standards of facilities?

Or maybe upgrade Leederville Oval and host all AFLW games?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
With the coming AFLW season moving forward to be played from September to December, and a possible expansion to a full season of playing every team once, how do you think the Freo and Eagles games should be fixtured.

All 9 home games each at Freo Oval and Lathlain Park respectively?

Or maybe 5 home games at their respective bases each. And then the other 4 home games spread across other WAFL and regional grounds to take the games to the people and to help boost the revenue at the grounds and standards of facilities?

Or maybe upgrade Leederville Oval and host all AFLW games?

What needs to be updated at Leederville ?

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
What needs to be updated at Leederville ?

A couple of easy things would be:

1. Uni-sex umpire rooms;
2. Lights for night games;
3. Some more spectator roof cover, either on the northern end or eastern wing (for weather protection;
4. Catering stands and toilets in the north eastern corner;
5. Video screens;

In terms of access, it is pretty mint being 470m from Leederville Station (great for no transfers from Joondalup and Mandurah Lines). City West Station at 1,100m is pretty close and could do similar for the Fremantle, Midland and Airport Lines) with better pedestrian connections.

I am mindful that no one walks from Optus Stadium to East Perth Station, but that is over 1,700m away via footpaths.

So as part of upgrades to the bike network, I would put in two 50m pedestrian underpasses for Loftus Street and Newcastle Street, and a 300m footbridge over the freeway.

IMG_9247.JPG

IMG_9248.JPG

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Pardon my ignorance, but what do they mean when they say "no perimeter fencing" at East Freo Oval post the redevelopment? Does it mean waist-high fencing around the playing arena or no high wire fencing between the buildings and the footpaths? If the latter, how will they stop people going to games without paying or is that a naive question?

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pardon my ignorance, but what do they mean when they say "no perimeter fencing" at East Freo Oval post the redevelopment? Does it mean waist-high fencing around the playing arena or no high wire fencing between the buildings and the footpaths? If the latter, how will they stop people going to games without paying or is that a naive question?

That's what it said.
That's a significant part of revenue lost especially as it will be more popular as a final's venue.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Allowing local councils to bid on hosting the WAFL GF each year, could be a great way to get upgrades at their relevant ground through future bid processes.

46720E4F-D438-49C3-8083-0C2FF9167039.jpeg

Back