TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Optus Sport annual sub is $16.58 per month or $6.99 with a phone plan.

And being real for a second, most will share accounts. I share with my bro and sis. I pay for Optus Sport, Prime and Stan (w/ sport), my bro pays for Kayo, AppleTV+ and Disney+ and my sis has Netflix, Binge and Paramount+. So we all come in around $40-$50 each and pretty much have everything between us.

we can always put subs on hold when not required too…

To get Optus for $7 / month you have to have a min plan of $50 / month or something isnt it?

So not really $7 monthly.

Either way it appears Optus have misread the market on this one massively.

67% price increase with 50% less content really is a tough sell.

On the plus side they will be streaming Man Utd vs Villa in Perth pre season. So there's that I guess.

To get Optus for $7 / month you have to have a min plan of $50 / month or something isnt it?

So not really $7 monthly.

67% price increase with 50% less content really is a tough sell.

On the plus side they will be streaming Man Utd vs Villa in Perth pre season. So there's that I guess.
My phone is $36 a month.I’m not aware if that won’t qualify yet.

I’m not here to defend Optus either. In a perfect world they would still have UCL, or would have lost EPL to Stan. Are FA Cup and League Cup contracts even locked in for next season?

My phone is $36 a month.I’m not aware if that won’t qualify yet.

I’m not here to defend Optus either. In a perfect world they would still have UCL, or would have lost EPL to Stan. Are FA Cup and League Cup contracts even locked in for next season?

League Cups always been on bein. Dont know if Paramount / 10 will get FA Cup again.

You have the option to opt out of the $7 charge. It was considered a bonus feature rather than a core component of your contract. I guess that will be their legal standing.

Look I am going to keep Optus Sport but my contract included the $14.99 Optus Sport. My bill includes a $14.99 Optus Sport charge and the next line includes a $14.99 Optus Sports discount. When I signed up again it was used as a selling point to renew.

Not sure Optus would win a legal battle if it came to that if they started charging contracted customers a new charge for something originally included.

I think they always knew they were going to get backlash, but they have obviously crunched the numbers and decided a price increase for consumers and some of those subscribers dropping off is still more profitable than losing the rights to the EPL (which I assume they paid more for this time round).

The price increase per month in isolation may not appear that drastic. For many though, it’s indicative of many other expenses increases. Food prices, petrol, insurances, interest rates etc. The pinch will start to hit the discretionary spending, and will be interesting to see what happens with Optus and their subscriber numbers.

The price increase per month in isolation may not appear that drastic. For many though, it’s indicative of many other expenses increases. Food prices, petrol, insurances, interest rates etc. The pinch will start to hit the discretionary spending, and will be interesting to see what happens with Optus and their subscriber numbers.
I think though it's what people deem a priority too.

Complain about an increase to a subscription, but still spend $5 on coffee a day, or buy your lunch every day.

I assume many of us are in the position where we can afford this increase. It doesn't mean it's right, but for a company not to have increased its prices in 6 years, I think that's not bad really in comparison.

Would there be any other streaming services that has increased their monthly subscription price by 67%?

I think most subscribers would have been ok with a typical 10% price bump.

Some may say its only $8 a month but combined with other cost of living expenses rising every last dollar counts.

Optus are sensitive to the reaction. They quickly backtracked on the requirement to have a mobile subscription in order to access PL aftrer a disastrous first season of having the rights.

Would there be any other streaming services that has increased their monthly subscription price by 67%?

Some may say its only $8 a month but combined with other cost of living expenses rising every last dollar counts.

Optus are sensitive to the reaction. They quickly backtracked on the requirement to have a mobile subscription in order to access PL aftrer a disastrous first season of having the rights.

Are there many others than don't change their price for 6 years?

Are there many others than don't change their price for 6 years?

Prime is still $7/month. Cant remember when it was released here but I remember that being the price.

Also worth noting that Optus has lost European competition rights. I suspect the backlash wouldn't be anywhere near what it was if you got UEFA comps & PL for $25 / month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People should priortise what is important then if they cannot afford this.

I wasn’t aware of the 6 year thing until now - that’s quite rare to be fair to them. Not sure what the comparative cost increase for say Netflix for example has been during that same period of time.

Am becoming increasingly aware of people sharing passwords and accounts for these types of services. That trend will only continue I feel.

I wasn’t aware of the 6 year thing until now - that’s quite rare to be fair to them. Not sure what the comparative cost increase for say Netflix for example has been during that same period of time.

Am becoming increasingly aware of people sharing passwords and accounts for these types of services. That trend will only continue I feel.

That's an excuse I feel, I know my plan went up over the last few years whilst seemingly getting less monthly data (not a big deal as I barely use any). The Optus Sports costs were certainly implemented to be covered in plans in a way we thought we were getting a great deal.

Disney+ had a decent price rise and may have another on the horizon

It went from like $9 to $12 a month and has year long new content. Not really the best comparison.

I guess Disney going from $9 to $17 / month with less content would be an accurate comparison.

If Disney lose the Star Wars rights I'll be miffed.

If Disney lose the Star Wars rights I'll be miffed.

If they just have the animated shows it's not worth it, but heard Stan are bidding for the live action rights. Too much fragmentation.

If they just have the animated shows it's not worth it, but heard Stan are bidding for the live action rights. Too much fragmentation.

Can't wait for Stan's Aussie drama series Star Wars in the outback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back