List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald kicked 4. Pickett will be hard to match up on. Hence our defence a shaky.

Think about it tho our defence consists of

Rampe- AA quality defender but at the end.
T.McCartin - failed forward turned defender still very early in his career.
P.McCartin - Standout! but has played 9 games and is a serious risk every week.
???
Lloyd - Not a defender

If you put it like that our defence is doing amazingly well! :grin::grimacing:

I don't think the club is opposed to backing it's culture and taking the punt on flight risks (see: Florent, and basically all the players who have ultimately ended up leaving to go home)

So if we didn't take Dunkley, I'm confident that it was because he was beyond a flight risk and was a certainty to go.

From Codesports on who we should pick. I think overall the Swans like our midfield group, I'd be more inclined to think we will recruit a defender

Sydney

Schofield: Inside mid

Contested ball-winning ability has been a Sydney staple for decades but they are starting to fall away in that department. Josh Kennedy looks set for some time on the sidelines, while Luke Parker and Isaac Heeney are spending quite a lot of time forward. All signs point to the Swans looking for an inside bull and they’re a club that rate character right alongside talent, so a player who is willing to quickly buy into the culture will be front of the line.

Cherny: The Swans have plenty of tall options across the ground and while their midfield isn’t poor, a harder edge would not go astray. Culley and Carmichael look like the two top options on that front but if they’ve been snapped up, then D’Ambrosio looks like one the Swans will consider.

From Codesports on who we should pick. I think overall the Swans like our midfield group, I'd be more inclined to think we will recruit a defender

wow ... Codesports are ignorant swill.... suspect they have not watched a Swans game in years, judging from their dribbling comments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - sentimental JPK over smart keeping Hewitt.
I think giving up Hewett was a ridiculous blunder (and I believe that's what we did, rather than lose him). But I don't think JPK was a big factor. Likely to be on similar or less money for 1 year only. Where I think, even if we had planned for Dawson to stay, we could have found the money is to shave off Parker's deal, and back Hewett in to have an impact, rather than keep the cash for later. We've weakened ourselves short term, to save money for contract extensions for younger players over the next few years, where we'll probably lose a few key veterans and might struggle to compete for a flag anyway.

If it were just this year that was the sticking point, I'd have delisted a couple that we gave 1 year extensions to.

Re Hewett.

I think they made a decision at a point in time with the information that they had.

They committed to Parker on a long term deal. Mills had just emerged as a midfielder and future captain. Kennedy was around for another year. Rowbottom and Warner were regarded as talented young mids given greater responsibilities. Heeney was potentially looking to spend more time in midfield. Florent had played some inside mid. Gulden/Campbell/Stephens might spend more time in midfield long term. And we were just about to draft a few inside mids with early picks.

I don't feel it was an obvious decision to match what Carlton was offering.

Re Hewett.

I think they made a decision at a point in time with the information that they had.

They committed to Parker on a long term deal. Mills had just emerged as a midfielder and future captain. Kennedy was around for another year. Rowbottom and Warner were regarded as talented young mids given greater responsibilities. Heeney was potentially looking to spend more time in midfield. Florent had played some inside mid. Gulden/Campbell might spend more time in midfield long term. And we were just about to draft a few inside mids with early picks.

The club did great out of the Hewett deal and got us a good outcome: They got us a 2nd rounder for a low-possession tagger not having much of an impact on games.

The blame lies with Horse for making him a low-possession tagger not having much of an impact on games.

He just did not realise the player he had on his hands and read him incorrectly. His mistake, I'm pretty sure he'd realise it. He would've seen his mistake play out right before his eyes two weeks ago when he got a front-row seat at Marvel Stadium.

Terrible mistake IMO, but he's a good enough coach whose made so many other great choices that thankfully it won't define him or his career.

The club did great out of the Hewett deal and got us a good outcome: They got us a 2nd rounder for a low-possession tagger not having much of an impact on games.

The blame lies with Horse for making him a low-possession tagger not having much of an impact on games.

He just did not realise the player he had on his hands and read him incorrectly. His mistake, I'm pretty sure he'd realise it. He would've seen his mistake play out right before his eyes two weeks ago when he got a front-row seat at Marvel Stadium.

Terrible mistake IMO, but he's a good enough coach whose made so many other great choices that thankfully it won't define him or his career.

Remember though Aliir was a world beater season 1 for Port, not much talk about that trade these days.

Remember though Aliir was a world beater season 1 for Port, not much talk about that trade these days.

I mean, not really his fault Port are average this year. Everyone knows that if he's played in the right role and allowed to play in it, he's a gun. Weird that he gets knocked for being limited to that role when it's simply the role he's suited to, like literally every other player who isn't a dual-role player and/or utility. Buddy went into the ruck a few times in a game earlier this year and he looked ******* awful. Is he a lesser player now? Of course not. He's just an athletic forward, not a ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back