AFLW Official - Bombers, Hawks, Power, Swans all to enter AFLW from 2022-23 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.
The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

I mean, I’m feeling a little like Natalie Imbruglia here…

It shouldn’t happen, you don’t deserve it to happen. But if it did?
Then the tears would be insane.

Lucky we are a basket case.

The AFL really setting a new bar for horrific rules.

So bottom clubs desperate for any decent talent can lose 3 players AND their first round draft pick? Thats ridiculous. They are the clubs that need extra picks rather than less.

Do the new sides get to keep their 2 first round picks before the existing sides even if they bring in multiple players assigned a high points value?

I think the AFL have stuffed this up.

If the framing instead had have been around there being a pre-draft for expansion teams, and anyone who lost x amount of value also gained a pick in this round prior to round 1, no one would have taken issue.

Round 1 = expansion + priority picks
Round 2 = round 1

I have no idea how existing clubs can build stable team environments, when there are multiple expansion teams coming in each year, with pretty much free reign to gut their lists.

you could almost argue the 4 last teams to join get a better shot at maintaining a squad than the earlier expansions

I have no idea how existing clubs can build stable team environments, when there are multiple expansion teams coming in each year, with pretty much free reign to gut their lists.
Not sure Carlton can blame the expansion clubs for 100% of their problems when it comes to players leaving. Knock on wood but so far Richmond has come out of this expansion pretty much unscathed

Plus after this pre-season every team is in so the expansion issues will be done

In addition to the laughable suggestion that Carlton are only losing players because of expansion (Prespakis and Gee would have just gone elsewhere, like the other departing players, guaranteed) there's another misconception I've been seeing a lot lately that should be corrected, which is "Essendon and Hawthorn were the last teams to apply for an AFLW licence".

Port Adelaide and Sydney were the last teams to apply. Essendon and Hawthorn first applied at the same time that Gold Coast first applied, in 2017. Just thought I'd clear that up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that's it for expansion signings, right? It closed today at 2PM, didn't it? Or have I got my wired crossed and it's actually next week Monday?

If so, the top sides have been left mostly unharmed. Freo lost a couple of big names. Losing Phillips will obviously hurt Crows in season 7 (and maybe 8) but beyond that she was likely going to be gone either way. Beyond that, the top sides lost a handful of bit part players.

Gamble to the Bombers is now official.

Last edited:
Has anything further come out about teams losing first round picks? The bar seemed to be two stars or four normal players lost. At least a few teams have fallen short, including a couple that I don't know how you could justify taking picks off them.

Adelaide: Ange Foley, Justine Mules, Erin Phillips
Brisbane: Maria Moloney and Indy Tahau
Carlton: Georgia Gee, Maddy Prespakis
Collingwood: Sophie Alexander, Ebony O'Dea, Bella Smith, Aliesha Newman
Fremantle: Steph Cain, Gemma Houghton, Maggie MacLachlan
Geelong: Sophie Van De Heuvel
Gold Coast: Janet Baird, Sarah Perkins, Hannah Dunn
GWS: Ally Morphett, Bec Privitelli, Lisa Steane, Louise Stephenson
Melbourne: Brenna Tarrant
North Melbourne: Jess Duffin, Daria Bannister, Aileen Gilroy, Lexi Hamilton
Richmond: Akec Makur Chuot, Sarah Dargan
St Kilda: Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Cat Phillips, Jacqui Vogt
West Coast: Maddy Collier
Western Bulldogs: Bonnie Toogood, Ellyse Gamble, Brooke Lochland

Unless I've missed something (always a strong possibility), it would seem that Geelong, Melbourne and West Coast are all likely to be short of the 28 points, having lost one player each. Brisbane and Richmond lost two, but are likely to be short of 28 since they didn't lose stars. Carlton probably did hit the 28 despite only losing two, given the quality of the players lost. Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast, St Kilda and the Bulldogs all lost three and might be safe, depending on where the bar is for points. Collingwood and North both lost four, so should be safe.

They couldn't, in good conscience, take picks off Geelong, West Coast and Richmond though, could they? Are they going to do something weird where they take away a bunch of first round picks only to give them back as priority picks?

Definitely many more details involved than reported last week, thankfully.

I agree with the intimation from the AFL that the expansion signing haul for the 4 new teams has ranged from poor to disastrous (despite some delusional commentary around it). But we've already seen how trying to offset that with lots of early draft picks doesn't work.

The Kaitlyn Ashmore merry-go-round continues...

After originally being linked to Essendon, then seen taking a look around Moorabbin and Whitten Oval, now the Hawks are looking to pick her up.

So despite pretending that there was an actual formula involved, the AFL has just arbitrarily decided that the top teams on the ladder will lose picks while other clubs won't, regardless of how many players they lost. Some of the bottom clubs lost almost no players and not only retained their picks, they actually gained picks!

Honestly, I don't really mind. It's almost certainly the correct decision. But why pretend there is a formula to it? It's plain as day that there wasn't any formula beyond "let's help the teams that need it the most", which I think most people could have got on board with if they had just stated it upfront.

The secret herbs and spices formula for working out the compensation for losing players to expansion teams is clearly just AFL deciding to do some arbitrary leveling of the teams - the huge outlier being Carlton not losing and draft picks despite only losing two players

The secret herbs and spices formula for working out the compensation for losing players to expansion teams is clearly just AFL deciding to do some arbitrary leveling of the teams - the huge outlier being Carlton not losing and draft picks despite only losing two players
Carlton clearly lost the players worth collectively the most value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back