Recruiting AFLW Draft, Trade & Sign - 25 players re-signed, list is full, won't be drafting anyone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You know, their General Manager Debbie Lee, was an Essendon supporter growing up...

Inside job perhaps ;)

"See the Scraggers bark loud loud."
"To win the premiership flag."
"We will come out snarling."
"If we win or lose."
"The other teams they don't fear."
"They all try their best."
"But they can't compete."
"We're the team of the northern west."

"To win the premiership flag."
"We will come out snarling."
"If we win or lose."
"The other teams they don't fear."
"They all try their best."
"But they can't compete."
"We're the team of the northern west."
You should make the welcome thread for Gamble 😊

Want me to roll the dice?

As always.

Gamble.........err..........thread create responsibly.
Yep so we need a welcome thread on the Essendon board once the club announces that she’s committed, (which they just did), for any trades we wait until it’s confirmed before we do a welcome thread.

The womens trade board has their own player threads, so once the AFL approves the signing and the list of the day’s approved signings is published on the womens.afl website, then we can update her thread on the women’s trade board to say “confirmed” too.

Yep so we need a welcome thread on the Essendon board once the club announces that she’s committed, (which they just did), for any trades we wait until it’s confirmed before we do a welcome thread.

The womens trade board has their own player threads, so once the AFL approves the signing and the list of the day’s approved signings is published on the womens.afl website, then we can update her thread on the women’s trade board to say “confirmed” too.

This whole player movement/player thread/player announcement stuff hurts my head from a BigFooty POV.

I think you might have two different boards confused as being the same thing 😅 PM me if you have questions though, I happen to be a mod for both of them.

The whole thing has me confused as hell.

Yeah I'll open up a new PM window.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was under the impression that picks 5-8 were in the reverse order of 1-4. Then not another pick for us until the early 30's. Is this order based on the players we have so far picked up and what band they are in talent wise?

Sydney with 5 picks in the top 15 seem to have made out like bandits.

So we're last of the expansion teams and the order doesn't reverse? AFL would be happy with that completely random outcome I'm sure.
It seems to be based on the quality of the players brought in, and we've effectively been given 15th place on the ladder for the purposes of the draft (hence not doing the serpent method or whatever it's called where it goes forward and back).

Clubs that didn't shed enough players to expansion lost some of their picks instead, was supposed to just be first rounders but it looks like some that lost a few players but not enough players lost second or third rounders instead, while Brisbane didn't lose anyone so kept their picks etc. West Coast has priority picks and there's been some unexplained funny business with Gold Coast's picks too.

We were only supposed to have three first round picks altogether as well, but they've stuffed that around a bit too. I was anticipating like picks 4 and 5 on a serpentine model, plus like pick 24 or something. Instead the first round goes out to 36 picks and we have 4 of them, which is the least of any expansion club. Hawthorn have seven, and Sydney have six.

That said, they're not allowed to trade picks in the first 13 so Sydney can't actually do anything much useful with the first five of their first round picks, and Hawthorn is likewise a bit locked in with four of the seven tied up.

Judging by the salt their former fans are dishing out I reckon we did alright anyway haha.

S. Alexander
D. Bannister
S. Cain
E. Gamble
G. Gee - Rising Star Nominee (2019), Carl. Grand Final Player (2019), Carl. Leading Goalkicker (2020), 22under22 (2020, 2021)
D. Marshall
C. Phillips - St Kilda Co-Captain (2020-2021)
M. Prespakis - Rising Star Winner (2019), Carl. Grand Final Player (2019), 22under22 (2017-2019, 2020(vc), 2021 (vc), Reigning Carl. B&F (2019, 2020, 2022)
B. Toogood - Rising Star Nominee (2018), WB Leading Goalkicker (2022), WB Premiership Player (2018)
S. Van De Heuvel
J. Vogt

Turns out it's really difficult to find their achievements recorded anywhere. Stupid lazy internet. This is what I could find so far ^^ I guess the write ups for each of the Essendon welcome things on the club website might tell us more but I've had enough of googling.

Plus some of our VFLW girls go alright too, but I don't think that's factored into the draft order.

It seems to be based on the quality of the players brought in, and we've effectively been given 15th place on the ladder for the purposes of the draft (hence not doing the serpent method or whatever it's called where it goes forward and back).

Snake Draft fyi

Some AFLW nuffies I was talking to a while ago seem to think that building a team out of draft picks isn't a great idea because if you don't fire a shot for a couple of years they all move to other clubs and you have to keep starting over and over again.

AFL HQ keeps dishing out priority picks to try and even it up, but the draft pool isn't that strong to make up the difference. So we've gone really hard at getting established and mature players and that's probably the right thing to do.

Thankfully no one else can come in as an expansion side after us and pinch our players for free :tongueoutv1:

I ran out of time on my Bombercast interview tonight to even really scratch the surface with draft picks and whose available.

We have Victorian draft picks 2, 4, 17, 19, 25, 33, 43

Who is available in the draft – RookieMe Central Vic Power Rankings Top 20

Montana Ham (Western Jets)
– Big bodied inside mid.
Jasmine Fleming (Oakleigh Chargers) – Midfielder with elite right foot.
Charlotte Baskaran (Western Jets) – Outside mid, can play HBF. Tried as inside mid.
Amber Clarke (Dandenong Stingrays) – Lightning quick defender, also played forward.
Zarlie Goldsworthy (Murray Bushrangers) – Mid/Fwd averages 24.9 disp and 1 goal p/g
Mackenzie Eardley (Dandenong Stingrays) – 181cm quick rebounding defender
Sofia Hurley (Sandringham Dragons) – Avg 10.9 Tackles p/g. Balanced Mid.
Riley Wilcox (Northern Knights) – Wing. Power Rankings bolter (23 to 12 Nationally)
Charley Ryan (Dandenong Stingrays) – Forward of centre mid. Injury interrupted champs.
Octavia Di Donato (Bendigo Pioneers) – Started as a Def, now Mid. Played HF in VFLW
Bridie Hipwell (Sandringham Dragons) – Clearance Mid/Lead-up Forward (Versatile)
Keeley Skepper (Murray Bushrangers) – Inside mid
Charlotte Taylor (Oakleigh Chargers) – 177cm Inside Mid and HBF. Played Coll VFLW
Taylah Gatt (Dandenong Stingrays) – Speedy Winger
Mia Busch (Eastern Ranges) – Running half-back
Laura Elliot (Western Jets) – Key Defender. 170cm good above her head.
Mia Austin (Eastern Ranges) – 177cm Tall Forward
Keely Coyne (Sandringham Dragons) – 162cm Inside/Outside Mid
Jamie-Lee Speakman (GWV Rebels) – 162cm small utility
Paige Scott (GWV Rebels) – Medium forward, played with Geelong VFLW

We need a (NAB League Girls) Ruck!

Krsytal Russell (Western Jets) – 180cm Ruck. Lead NAB LG for Hit-Outs in 2021 and 2022.
Kalani Scouller (GWV Rebels) – 192cm Ruck. Played with Geelong VFLW. Developing.

Getting towards the back end of the draft, we may start to consider VFLW players from other clubs, such as these “spare parts” that are available…

Elizabeth McGrath (North Melbourne) – One of the top rucks in the VFLW
Sarah King (Collingwood) – Long-time ruck, but still young, at the Pies VFLW
Nicole Hales (Collingwood) – Plays deep in defence, third in the VFLW in marks
Eliza Vale (Western Bulldogs) – 168cm defender. Leads league in Marks avg p/g
Sophia McCarthy (Williamstown) – 179cm CHF. Has potential but turns head at contest
Gabrielle Bidenweg-Webster (Williamstown) – Mid-Tall Defender, who launches off HBF
Grace Buchan (Southern Saints) – Mid sized defender who racks up disposals
Hannah Stuart (Southern Saints) – Tough midfielder, challenging GN for league BnF
Jessica Trend (Hawthorn) – Defender returning from ACL. Ex-AFLW and Ex-Essendon.
Isabelle Porter (Hawthorn) – Put the wheel clamps on GN
Jessie Williams (Hawthorn) – 21 goals (2nd in the league), Ex-AFLW with North.
Mia Skinner (Geelong) – 21 goals, mid sized, quick and pushes up the flank

Some de-listed AFLW Players Out There

Christina Bernardi (ex-Richmond) – Mid-sized, exciting forward
Kate McCarthy (ex-Saints) – Speedster, who is slowing down, flanker.
Jess Weutschner (ex-Lions) – Left foot goal sneak
Hannah McLaren (ex-Richmond) – Defender. Played VFLW with Port Melbourne
Paige Price (ex-Saints) – Ex-College Basketball. Rookie at 188cm. Hip injury ruled out AFLW last season
Lauren Gauci (ex-Eagles) – Defender

Credit to Pie 4 Life at Central.RookieMe.com for the NAB League Girls Power Rankings and research.

Bella Ayre and Renee Tierney are forwards, EAC is defence. We seem to have a lot of forwards but I guess Gee goes through the midfield as well (possibly so do some others). Ayre played in Brisbane's losing Grand Final against the Western Bulldogs in 2018 before she retired from AFLW. Also a former Carlton player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back