Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - Twomey reporting 1yr extension - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really mate, obviously not drafting for one game in mind

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well we need key position players was hoping for him to play AFL in a couple .
With this injury let’s say 2 weeks well you might as well play him in the VFL for the rest of the year if that’s the case.
In a year where we have gone backwards in all aspects as a club we need a bit of joy as atm the only joy we have is when JHF takes the field thought drafting a guy to play a key position only to find we have drafted a injured player.
Can’t anyone in position of stroke at the club make a right decision
Maybe we can Emma Kearney,Ash Riddell and kaitlyn Ashmore to play with the guys as the club seems to care more about the AWFL side then the AFL and VFL sides combined.

Well we need key position players was hoping for him to play AFL in a couple .
With this injury let’s say 2 weeks well you might as well play him in the VFL for the rest of the year if that’s the case.
In a year where we have gone backwards in all aspects as a club we need a bit of joy as atm the only joy we have is when JHF takes the field thought drafting a guy to play a key position only to find we have drafted a injured player.
Can’t anyone in position of stroke at the club make a right decision
Maybe we can Emma Kearney,Ash Riddell and kaitlyn Ashmore to play with the guys as the club seems to care more about the AWFL side then the AFL and VFL sides combined.
Or he plays seniors when he is fit

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolute Fu:king joke and a disgrace that we select a bloke with a injury.
This proves this club is nothing short of a Fu:king stock with the other 17 clubs ,the media and AFL laughing at us.
It's an 18 month contract, we clearly didn't just grab him to plug a hole in our defence for a dozen games this year. Yeah, It's eyeroll worthy that he's injured, and the fact that it's worse than originally reported is some delicious salt in the wound, but ultimately it's no big deal. He's an MSD pick. 90% of them go on to achieve bugger all anyway.

Us not selecting a stopgap player with the second pick, considering just how many holes we have right now, is another matter. But I can't really comment on what was on offer so I'll leave that to others.

**** me …. You just don’t get it ….
Behind Ben10 , Hall (a 30plus year old with 3 dodgy hammies ) is our most important player?!
Without Hall atm Our back 6 have NO run & carry / drive from our defensive 50 … it’s kick to a pocket , to the other pocket & straight to a contest on the wing …only to come straight back 2fold ?! Or we turn it over before that … that is our worst Achilles heel .
It’s going to be fantastic seeing Massimo (the next Adam Saad) playing for the injectors .

100% correct RossHenshaw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So tell me again…..who is upset about losing those three recruiters?

Interested to see which of our 2 he replaces once Benny McKay is back. Corr and Walker both have 10+kgs on him at the moment.
He‘ll slot in nicely with Hore and McGuinness, probably help fix up a lot of structural issues we have playing ressies.
pretty astute pick up if you look at like that.

Last edited:
**** me …. You just don’t get it ….
Behind Ben10 , Hall (a 30plus year old with 3 dodgy hammies ) is our most important player?!
Without Hall atm Our back 6 have NO run & carry / drive from our defensive 50 … it’s kick to a pocket , to the other pocket & straight to a contest on the wing …only to come straight back 2fold ?! Or we turn it over before that … that is our worst Achilles heel .
It’s going to be fantastic seeing Massimo (the next Adam Saad) playing for the injectors .
I don't disagree mate but I really think this isn't ideal for a player's thread. We have the draft thread itself. Nothing but love for a new recruit here I reckon.

Playing for the
If you want my concern to see for yourself, I've picked one game for anyone who cares to check the time stamps. You can find the game on the AFL website.

Southport vs Williamstown in Round 2. He had 5 touches this game, most of these stamps are average defensive efforts or poor positioning. The last is a poor decision by foot, it's not a howler but it's representative of the type of poor decisions he's prone to - his other touches were fine. It's the game where Townsend kicked 8.2 for the game. Yes, all defenders have a bag kicked on them at one point or another, and it's important to take that into consideration.

NOTE: I use different footage to that placed on afl.com.au so timestamps may be a little off. I checked and noticed my first timestamp actually occurs at 15:30 in the afl.com.au footage, so stamps might be ~20 seconds off.

Q1:
15:10

Q3
6:29
29:47
33:01
33:41

Q4
20:04

I've mentioned that he is an extremely good athlete - that's what the whole Sam Frost comparison was about and it would be this reason that we've drafted him. I actually rate Sam Frost big time, and perhaps describing Dawson as 'K-mart Frost' was harsh - in hindsight I'd take that back if I could. The whole point being that he is an extremely raw version of Sam Frost who still has big deficiencies in his game from a defensive positioning and strength POV. Let alone his kicking and decision making which is shaky at best. If it was just his kicking that was a concern then it could be worked on, but decision making is another element separate from kicking which also needs work.

I've been wrong a number of times before on players and may very well be wrong about Dawson in hindsight.

If anyone cares or wants more, I'm happy to provide time stamps for his best moments in particular games, but clearly when clubs draft a player, that's all they want to show (rightfully so) and give the fans so you'll be well versed in that from the footage the club provided.
In a poorly performed Willo team this year - and despite his coach calling him the most explosive KPD in the competition - he has been in the coaches votes in one game only and been in his own team's best players only twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Souup What was the main takeaways between this game and the one where he played Melbourne and dominated?
They played into in strengths? He just performed well or natural progression etc?
Can you see him genuinely getting better as the season has progressed so far?

He's had a mostly inconsistent year from my perspective. There's no real noticeable improvement in his ability to find the ball or intercept. I do think there were improvements from a defensive point of view, but not significant. Coaches usually have a much better gauge on some of the finer areas of improvement and the intangibles, but from the obvious stuff there wasn't any discernable improvements to my eye.

Most of his games there's some really impressive things mixed in with some really poor moments, the Casey game no different. He had moments where he really launches at the ball in the air and puts his body on the line to intercept, and then mixes that in with some shaky kicks and a couple North Melbourne specials (handballing to your teammates ankles when they've got an opposition player breathing down their neck).

I think his most dominant game was against Frankston, but it was also probably the game where he made the most obvious errors too. Great contested marking but mixed in with some real poor stuff too.

I feel like he should be utilised as a 2nd key defender at AFL level. Many of the best interceptor in the AFL are very good by foot - May, Sicily, Howe and Stewart all come to mind. I'm not sure how we plan on using him but I've heard using him as a 3rd tall/loose man floated and I think this is asking for trouble.

He's had a mostly inconsistent year from my perspective. There's no real noticeable improvement in his ability to find the ball or intercept. I do think there were improvements from a defensive point of view, but not significant. Coaches usually have a much better gauge on some of the finer areas of improvement and the intangibles, but from the obvious stuff there wasn't any discernable improvements to my eye.

Most of his games there's some really impressive things mixed in with some really poor moments, the Casey game no different. He had moments where he really launches at the ball in the air and puts his body on the line to intercept, and then mixes that in with some shaky kicks and a couple North Melbourne specials (handballing to your teammates ankles when they've got an opposition player breathing down their neck).

I think his most dominant game was against Frankston, but it was also probably the game where he made the most obvious errors too. Great contested marking but mixed in with some real poor stuff too.

I feel like he should be utilised as a 2nd key defender at AFL level. Many of the best interceptor in the AFL are very good by foot - May, Sicily, Howe and Stewart all come to mind. I'm not sure how we plan on using him but I've heard using him as a 3rd tall/loose man floated and I think this is asking for trouble.
Given Matt McGuinness is playing FB in the VFL side, you'd think Dawson would get a run there, at least to begin with; obviously if he makes it to the ones, either McKay or Walker would be FB, and as you say, Dawson would be better off playing man on man as the second tall, allowing Corr to intercept.

So he's athletic but we're basically going to teach him how to football?

Geez is that a smile or grimace? Had to tell it looks like this person has attended the same school of learning to smile as Wilsons.

And for the masses are you/we saying we've the son of Maj? So are you telling me we've SOM??

So then we have Chomsom or Somchom either or for me.

Get on it moderators ASAP!! Make it happen and welcome SOM!

Geez is that a smile or grimace? Had to tell it looks like this person has attended the same school of learning to smile as Wilsons.

And for the masses are you/we saying we've the son of Maj? So are you telling me we've SOM??

So then we have Chomsom or Somchom either or for me.

Get on it moderators ASAP!! Make it happen and welcome SOM!
Kallan Dawsom!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back