Review 2022 Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

With the year we are having you just know that Durds is going to get a chance at Carlton and show more than he ever did with us.

Good luck to the bloke. I hope he makes it.

I also guarantee is he does the media will use it as another example of poor list management from us.

It is an example of poor list management. Apart from some rookie mistakes, he competed well, played well with McKay.

Was just listening as I was hanging out the washing but had to stop ten minutes in. It’s just too negative for me right now. I get that it’s hard to run a podcast about a s**t club, but right now North Talk is a big downer. I’ll tune back in when we’ve had a win perhaps.

*edit: Club playing s**t. Not a s**t club.
I was thinking the same thing. I had to turn it off too.

Thank you all so much , i saved the last 15 pages from last night and just read it now. Was a treat for after the lunch.
And I am not disappointed, was wonderful reading.

Did anyone pick up Enrico Palazzo?

Naked Gun GIF

Let's be honest most of these MSD guys will be spuds and only a couple will make it long term. All speculative picks.
We've got pretty similar small forwards in Taylor, Curtis, Ford and Spicer to these guys in the MSD imo.
Don't know much about D'Ambrosio but I'm getting Charlie Ham vibes, very small whilst good kick of the footy.
Rather we take a quality wingman or half back with pick 2 in national draft as I reckon its better to punt on key position with later picks or rookie picks unless you think that key position is just a gun like a Naughton or King brothers, but they're pretty rare.

Welcome to the greatest football club in the land Kallan - hopefully you can put it all together and have a successful career at North Melbourne and be part of #5 and more.

If the Sam Durdin that played for North Melbourne shows up, they will be moaning very quickly.

Time has served Durdin very well, because if you go back and watch what he produced at both AFL and VFL level, then his delisting wasn’t unexpected.

He may have improved since he left, but at the time the right decision was made.
100% this. He was slow , lacked intensity/aggression and couldn't take marks. Mediocre at best 1 on 1. And a massive whipping boy on this forum. Now he is being feted by most of the board.

After having a bit of a think about it, one of the reasons I am disappointed we passed is that our VFL has also been pretty f***ed this year.

We could have taken a raw kid with some potential and given him a crack and then at minimum we bolster our lower level team.

I just feel it was a missed opportunity. Especially when our list on the whole is Swiss cheese.

I think one thing we need to remember is that Bergman is now an inactive player which means had we taken someone else, we would have to delist an extra player to get him back onto the list (not that it should be too hard considering most have half the list being delisted :p).

Miller basically takes his senior spot back and Kallan takes Lynch's spot on the rookie list. Takes our list to 37 and 5 Cat A rookies/ 1 Cat B rookie.

I think one thing we need to remember is that Bergman is now an inactive player which means had we taken someone else, we would have to delist an extra player to get him back onto the list (not that it should be too hard considering most have half the list being delisted :p).

Miller basically takes his senior spot back and Kallan takes Lynch's spot on the rookie list. Takes our list to 37 and 5 Cat A rookies/ 1 Cat B rookie.
This how we make a profit brother.
All about that annual report being released in October with us in the black.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the key really, if we took a 2nd listed player then we potentially need to delist a player who has more to offer than that 2nd selection in the MSD.

Just looking at 3 players minimum that need to move as per AFL requirements plus the person who will make way for the Bergman list spot, I found it hard to look through the list and find 4 players I'd like to see dropped from the list.

This is the key really, if we took a 2nd listed player then we potentially need to delist a player who has more to offer than that 2nd selection in the MSD.

Just looking at 3 players minimum that need to move as per AFL requirements plus the person who will make way for the Bergman list spot, I found it hard to look through the list and find 4 players I'd like to see dropped from the list.
What's the list?

I think it was a missed opportunity but I will be really disappointed if the club doesn't make serious inroads to address the structural imbalance of our list at the end of the year.

We've gotten to the stage where one quarter of our entire list is made up of just medium defenders, and at the same time, we only have one playable key forward. Its madness.

If we acquired 2x key forwards at the end of the year, we'd only just be reaching the minimum number other clubs have at their disposal.

Atu, Turner, Hayden, Young, Hall, Patrick Walker, and Scott all have their contracts up at the end of the year.

I'd look at losing at least four of them.

The younger guys could improve if they were given more time, but the problem is that they're surplus to our greatest needs.

In addition, one of Goldie and Xerri will surely go.

That's at least five spots. If we replace them with at least 1 key forward, at least 1 key defender, a winger and a small forward, we're starting to approach something approximating a competitive list.

Last edited:
Was just listening as I was hanging out the washing but had to stop ten minutes in. It’s just too negative for me right now. I get that it’s hard to run a podcast about a s**t club, but right now North Talk is a big downer. I’ll tune back in when we’ve had a win perhaps.

*edit: Club playing s**t. Not a s**t club.
Yep, same here. I’ve given the last couple of episodes a quick listen and then put on a different podcast or music. Hopefully performances improve so everyone has something more positive to talk about.

I think it was a missed opportunity but I will be really disappointed if the club doesn't make serious inroads to address the structural imbalance of our list at the end of the year.

We've gotten to the stage where one quarter of our entire list is made up of just medium defenders, and at the same time, we only have one playable key forward. Its madness.

If we acquired 2x key forwards at the end of the year, we'd only just be reaching the minimum number other clubs have at their disposal.

Atu, Turner, Hayden, Young, Hall, Patrick Walker, and Scott all have their contracts up at the end of the year.

I'd look at losing at least four of them.

The younger guys could improve if they were given more time, but the problem is that they're surplus to our greatest needs.

In addition, one of Goldie and Xerri will surely go.

That's at least five spots. If we replace them with at least 1 key forward, at least 1 key defender, a winger and a small forward, we're starting to approach something approximating a competitive list.
For mine, Young and Scott are required players (just on the basis of being in the team right now and performing well enough, obviously the coaching staff is happy with them).

Turner and Hall are required for players from a leadership perspective, also who are the players that can take their roles right now as lockdown defender and outlet player from the back half (Goater and Bergman will probably finish the year with 1 game experience each). I guess it could be argued that we haven't gotten worse with Hall being out injured.

That leaves Hayden, Atu and Pat Walker. Let's see what happens but if those 3 go, then there's the minimum list turnover. As mentioned in terms of structural imbalance we could replace two with key position players (with the other being Cooper Harvey).

If either Xerri or Goldy move on, then there's another list balancing opportunity.

So the question is, should we have brought in a 2nd MSD who will provide more than what's left to move on. I'd have all of Young, Scott, Turner, and Hall for next season over a 2nd MSD with a payout to Polec being the only consideration in mind.

Would happily see Turner or Hall finish up if replaced by other players with experience (not another rookie).

Anyway, it's going to be an interesting offseason, but I suspect everyone is on the same page that structural imbalance is an issue.

Let's be honest most of these MSD guys will be spuds and only a couple will make it long term. All speculative picks.
We've got pretty similar small forwards in Taylor, Curtis, Ford and Spicer to these guys in the MSD imo.
Don't know much about D'Ambrosio but I'm getting Charlie Ham vibes, very small whilst good kick of the footy.
Rather we take a quality wingman or half back with pick 2 in national draft as I reckon its better to punt on key position with later picks or rookie picks unless you think that key position is just a gun like a Naughton or King brothers, but they're pretty rare.
Agree.

On paper there is nothing wrong with the selection as a "type" of player. McKay has been doing a lot of heavy lifting as a lockdown and intercepting KPP down there - his job should be made a lot easier by having a fast, young intercepting tall as support and ideally McKay taking the large players means an easier time for Dawson as well. We're still short down there, all going well we pick up a mature well rounded AFL level KPD end of season even if Dawson comes in and has impact.

So the question is, should we have brought in a 2nd MSD who will provide more than what's left to move on. I'd have all of Young, Scott, Turner, and Hall for next season over a 2nd MSD with a payout to Polec being the only consideration in mind.
Its a great question and in an ideal world a KPF with a bit of promise like Wade Derksen would have been available for our second pick.

But if I'm honest, I really don't know enough about the calibre of the key forwards who were remaining in the MSD list after the first round to have an informed opinion about whether the trade off against any of those four would have been worth it.

Its a great question and in an ideal world a KPF with a bit of promise like Wade Derksen would have been available for our second pick.

But if I'm honest, I really don't know enough about the calibre of the key forwards who were remaining in the MSD list after the first round to have an informed opinion about whether the trade off against any of those four would have been worth it.
Surely a KPF that was still available (from anywhere remotely resembling a decent league) would be better than the 2nd Key Forward setup that we're currently running with (and have been for now a year and a half)

Would have been more than happy to delist an extra player

El Nour I would have taken with our second pick

It is an example of poor list management. Apart from some rookie mistakes, he competed well, played well with McKay.

Was that entirely a list management error or was it more of a match committee refusal to select in the team error? By the time he was cut from the list, it was hardly a surprise (despite the fact that HE was surprised) given the fact that two coaches and their fellow team selectors clearly didn't rate him.

Obviously, if the player we had earmarked for that second-round selection was still available, we would have found a way to accommodate Bergman returning. Besides, by the time Bergman is able to return, we will inevitably have another player who could be placed on the LTI given the season will be closer to ending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back