Would a Richmond Premiership in 2022 make the team one of the best of all time?

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
A Richmond Premiership in 2022 would give the club 4 Premierships in 6 Years (2017, 2019, 2020 & 2022).

Since World War II these are only 2 other clubs to have won 4 Premierships so quickly.

Melbourne (1955-1960) - 5 Premierships in 6 Years.
Hawthorn (1986-1991) - 4 Premierships in 6 Years.

Richmond would be only the third - and the first entirely within the AFL era.

Surely that is quite a carrot....

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Or 2 in 60+ years

Funny how much more difficult a national competition, with a salary cap can be.

And where losing a grand final means you lost, not that you get to keep demanding rematches til you win.

Or winning despite not even having a grand final.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
A Richmond Premiership in 2022 would give the club 4 Premierships in 6 Years (2017, 2019, 2020 & 2022).

Since World War II these are only 2 other clubs to have won 4 Premierships so quickly.

Melbourne (1955-1960) - 5 Premierships in 6 Years.
Hawthorn (1986-1991) - 4 Premierships in 6 Years.

Richmond would be only the third - and the first entirely within the AFL era.

Surely that is quite a carrot....
Would take a fair effort to come from 9th...

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Already one of the best of all time, a flag this year would make them the best team of the AFL era by some margin imo.

Not going to happen though, surely.

How can these Fremantle or Melbourne teams be stopped?

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
And where losing a grand final meams you lost, not that you get to keep demanding rematches til you win.

Or winning despite not even having a grand final.
And where teams timed their run beautifully where two new teams were bedded in and sucked all the talent up, leaving particular teams stronger for longer.

And where teams timed their run beautifully where two new teams were bedded in and sucked all the talent up, leaving particular teams stronger for longer.
Very true. Building and developing a multiple premiership winning team during years of the most heavily compromised drafts in Football History is already something not previously achieved.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
It would be a magnificent achievement. Unlikely though. I think the Tiges are on to something,may need another year to play out.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

And one team underwent the largest doping scandal in team sports anywhere in the world ever.

What a joyous time it was.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Bit premature on this idea I would've thought. Just setting up for a pile on really. Thank christ it wasn't started by a Tiger supporter - I could've suggested a few that might've been responsible.

The synergy of previous years just doesn't seem to be amongst the group this time around. Even with a decent run of injuries and a relatively soft draw so far, we're still just loitering around mid-table - and I don't really rate a few of the teams above us as serious threats like 3rd-8th have been in previous years. It wouldn't take a seismic shift to get our act together, but at least a handful of players who aren't showing it atm would need to find something in their game that I suspect is not (or no longer) there. Besides, Melbourne are pretty much certainties this year - they're a mile ahead of everyone. We didn't have to cope with another great opponent in 2017-2020 - we were that side.

Technically still one of the best teams of all time, even without a 2022 flag though.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Well yes, but remember, the Lions made it to 4 grand finals in a row, and only lossed the 2004 premiership because Port Adelaide played like a team possessed and were super hard at the contest to control the game slightly better.

So I’d say if they win it this year. Then yes, it means the same team won it four times in five years. Pretty special achievement.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Yes that would be amazing. However, we need to bring effort for 4 quarters like we used to in our Premiership years and remain relatively injury-free if we’re a chance.

I feel like we’re closer than it looks (we were second in quarters won at the start of this round). We just need to stop having one awful quarter that basically loses us the entire game. We lost 3 games (Carlton, St Kilda, and Sydney) because of that.

And please, enough with the undiscipline.

Back