Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly to early to call hit or miss but for mine I don’t see any qualities to say that we will get the A grader we hoped for with pick 6.

You see glimpses with other early picks that shows what they will offer in the years to come, I am not seeing that in DGB. Hopefully I am wrong and when he hits the magical 50 games it all clicks for him as we need to him to click.

Certainly to early to call hit or miss but for mine I don’t see any qualities to say that we will get the A grader we hoped for with pick 6.

You see glimpses with other early picks that shows what they will offer in the years to come, I am not seeing that in DGB. Hopefully I am wrong and when he hits the magical 50 games it all clicks for him as we need to him to click.
You watch with your eyes closed?

I also recall Roughy getting dropped in his first few years and look how he turned out. Give the kid a chance.
Logan McDonald has been dropped and in&out of the team, Ugle Hagan can't get a game, Thilthorpe struggled to get a game this year and currently worst on the ground today, Philips even when fit struggled and was dropped, Campbell dropped for this week, Hollands cant get a game at the Suns.

Welp I guess the first 7 picks are all fails.

Logan McDonald has been dropped and in&out of the team, Ugle Hagan can't get a game, Thilthorpe struggled to get a game this year and currently worst on the ground today, Philips even when fit struggled and was dropped, Campbell dropped for this week, Hollands cant get a game at the Suns.

Welp I guess the first 7 picks are all fails.
Exactly mate, some clowns just don’t understand how hard this game is and it takes time to build your game and feel like you belong and gain the confidence. DGB is going along nicely. Is going to have ups and downs like all new players, and especially Key Position players.

Says the person who can't see a single positive attribute, like you expect a second year player to be fully developed :drunk:
Its almost like he is a second year player , playing in a mostly inexperienced backline of players trying to build some synergy together.
In a side with a poor midfield who generally concede a lot of decent inside 50s 🙂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1654321830896.png

DGB v Weitering at the same age.

Weitering had the benefit of being a much better physically developed player at the same age (weighed 90kg as a draftee compared to low 80s for DGB) and didn't have two Covid years slowing development.

Weitering with obvious advantage in more involvement in build up, especially as he played a little bit higher up the ground. DGB has him beat on defensive actions in 1%ers and intercepts. Better disposal efficiency and less turnovers.

Gives away a lot more frees.

Some serious nuffies in here expecting him to be either Jakovich 2.0 or Dawson 2.0 as a 20 year old. Let the kid develop FFS.

Can't even compare Denver to the likes of Lake and McGovern at the same age given they hadn't even played a game yet.

Chris Langford went to full back at age 22. Was in and out of the team until then. KPPs need time.
I'm old enough to remember about 2 years of "Langford is a spud" talk...

Says the person who can't see a single positive attribute, like you expect a second year player to be fully developed :drunk:
not saying I can’t see positives, just saying I don’t see signs of him becoming an A grader.

its a forum we are entitled to our opinions and that’s all it is, I really hope I am wrong.

I hate to be that guy in here. But... have some duckin patience you lot settle down. DGB will be a superstar of the comp. You can quote me in 2 or 3 years

Fingers crossed. Every legit contender will have 4 or 5 players in the top 50 in the comp. Currently we only have Sicily.

I'm very pleased with Denver to date. I'm not pleased with what I'm reading in here from a few.

Yeah some posters are jumping the gun here, but equally, I don't think being 'very pleased' is realistic either.

There's legit questions on DGB, but importantly, they're not going to be answered anytime soon.

Writing him off as a bust is silly, but to be honest, I also think suggesting he is going to be elite from what we have seen is also potentially blind optimism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back