Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to say it!

Gotta recognise quality though, and Wells was great at picking the eyes out of a draft particularly in the later stages.

Not surprised he bailed on Geelong recently, must have been horrible as a talent manager with no draft picks.

Anyway! Butler looks the goods, reckon he'll be a better player than his brother.

Hate to say it!

Gotta recognise quality though, and Wells was great at picking the eyes out of a draft particularly in the later stages.

Not surprised he bailed on Geelong recently, must have been horrible as a talent manager with no draft picks.

Anyway! Butler looks the goods, reckon he'll be a better player than his brother.
I was just pulling your leg mate. Like any great rivalry what makes it great is the opposition being great too. The fact we beat them in 2008 will eat at those mofos forever.

Similar to us, two drafts was all it took to build an all time great core. Us with 2001 and 2004, them with 1999 and 2001.

We got Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Roughy and Buddy. They got Corey, Chapman, Ling, Bartel, Kelly, Stevie J and Ablett Jr.

Then we both went through patches of absolutely wasting all of our first round picks on average players. Funny how it works out.

Incredible era for both clubs built on those two hauls. Pretty insane the way it played out from 2007-15 on the back of that.

But yep, it's so hard to get your draft picks right. We all take it for granted that early picks = success. But you can have a whole year (2006) defined by who you picked top ten (Thorp) and which late pick you let go to another club (Kennedy).

Back to Butler though, I've watched the replay, and he learned a lot from his first week out there. Incredible step up from where he was against the Tiges.

I was just pulling your leg mate. Like any great rivalry what makes it great is the opposition being great too. The fact we beat them in 2008 will eat at those mofos forever.
I know, I know! Gotta plead forgiveness though. Absolute sin praising Geelong here!

So pleased to see that he wasn't dropped after his first game. Our current selection panel seems to back players more than previous. And what a great reward, Butler was terrific and would have gained mega confidence from the backing and his good performance.

I noticed he got the ball a couple of times in a bit of space and I was expecting him to put the jets on and take off, but he was slower with his running. Probably a confidence thing.

Excited to see his development and his performances when he gets more confidence in his abilities & comfort at the level. hopefully he gets a good block in the side.

I noticed he got the ball a couple of times in a bit of space and I was expecting him to put the jets on and take off, but he was slower with his running. Probably a confidence thing.

Excited to see his development and his performances when he gets more confidence in his abilities & comfort at the level. hopefully he gets a good block in the side.
Nothing to kick to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar to us, two drafts was all it took to build an all time great core. Us with 2001 and 2004, them with 1999 and 2001.

We got Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Roughy and Buddy. They got Corey, Chapman, Ling, Bartel, Kelly, Stevie J and Ablett Jr.

Then we both went through patches of absolutely wasting all of our first round picks on average players and still managed to succeed. Funny how it works out.
I know we didn't draft them, but I'm pretty sure Lake & Hale were also from 2001 draft, both of whom were (IMO) instrumental to our success.

One of the very few positives to come out of last night, shows enough tricks and awareness to make it at the level. Hopefully it’s a B+ level.

Watched Butler closely yesterday. It was hot in the kitchen, bodies flying around everywhere and he went in without any hesitation at all. When it was his turn he went. Not bad for a kid could have easily gone into his shell but he didn’t he just kept cracking in. Already a good size but looking forward to when he gets fitter, stronger and adapts to the speed of the game.

Watched Butler closely yesterday. It was hot in the kitchen, bodies flying around everywhere and he went in without any hesitation at all. When it was his turn he went. Not bad for a kid could have easily gone into his shell but he didn’t he just kept cracking in. Already a good size but looking forward to when he gets fitter, stronger and adapts to the speed of the game.
He gets caught with the ball a bit but usually whilst hurting himself and others. He goes full tilt hey?

He gets caught with the ball a bit but usually whilst hurting himself and others. He goes full tilt hey?
Yeah he struggled to create space. Seemed as soon as he got the ball was immediately tackled …….. shows the step up in defensive pressure/acts from the u18’s/VFL! Dealing with it will come.

Seemed to handle the wet conditions ok as well, little tap ons, etc

Really like him, next season is his time to shine
Yep but like everyone it won't just happen so he's got a lot of work to do to get fitter but you do get the feeling that a lot of it is just pumping more games into him similar to all our young guys coming through. You just hope and prey they don't stagnate like Worpel has for whatever reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back