AFL is on the decline - the younger generation is just not that into you

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny you should mention the NBA as Basketballs popularity has grown in the Caribbean, and at the same time Cricket participation has declined there. I don't believe its a coincidence. Basketball is certainly the IT sport for a lot of young people around the world
It’s way more accessible now. Unlike the Jordan boom. There is phone apps etc Live games are literally a finger tip away and cheap.

It’s way more accessible now. Unlike the Jordan boom. There is phone apps etc Live games are literally a finger tip away and cheap.
I slightly digress, but i think if Tassies application for a AFL club is rejected a lot of the young people will switch their interest to Basketball and the NBA is they haven't already starting doing it. Fingers crossed that the next AFL club is in Tassie.

I slightly digress, but i think if Tassies application for a AFL club is rejected a lot of the young people will switch their interest to Basketball and the NBA is they haven't already starting doing it. Fingers crossed that the next AFL club is in Tassie.
Footy in Tassie is on its knees. If they don’t get a side it’s the final nail in the coffin.

Interesting take on Basketball /NBAI loved it in 90s way more physical, now can barely stand watching a game with the foul calls.
As for AFL i grew up in VIC but now live in QLD have 3 kids all play AFL in QLD. It seems to be growing in QLD , my 2 daughters play and numbers are great for girls. Boys also seems to be going well with decent numbers, and from what i have heard numbers for full tackle league are declining

Skilled enough to step you and hard enough to run through you.

Not all skilled players were soft fairies, most the best players were both tough and skilled. Voss Riccuito Buckley Black N.Lappin Mathews Ablett senior Locket Hird Dipper Cousins Judd Swan P.Kelly peter Matera etc none of them were soft and all could dish it and receive it.

Physicality was part of the game for 150 odd years and should remain so.
mathews ablett and lockett werent tough. being a thug who hits people off the ball is not tough. juts go watch MMA and leave footy to people who arent small dick manbabies who sook and swing their fists when theyre beaten

One change to the game which I think would help is the game is too shorten the game. 1/4 and 3/4 time should be a couple of minutes which is mainly spent having a drink and swapping ends and half time should be cut by five minutes.

There are a lot of complexities around time on but I think they should be aiming fir each quarter to be about 25-28 minutes each..

They defn need more GA priced seats for walk-ups. And slash price to $20 adult. $10 concession. $5 kids. $40 family.
And cut food prices too

These low crowd numbers are all while discretionary consumer spending in other areas has been holding up. Wait until the expected recession hits...

MCG isn't too bad (I got $27 for GA for a top game in Dees v Freo last week,) but from memory a seat at AO is around $40. Nobody in their right mind would have paid that yesterday to watch a WAFL side.

They at least need to be more flexible on ticket prices. If a game's a dead rubber, drop the cost and give people who are budget-conscious an opportunity to go and help build fan loyalty, an atmosphere - that's worth more in the long-run than the paltry gate takings they'd get anyway.

Interesting take on Basketball /NBAI loved it in 90s way more physical, now can barely stand watching a game with the foul calls.
As for AFL i grew up in VIC but now live in QLD have 3 kids all play AFL in QLD. It seems to be growing in QLD , my 2 daughters play and numbers are great for girls. Boys also seems to be going well with decent numbers, and from what i have heard numbers for full tackle league are declining
Basketball is a funny one because you can pretty much multiply everything people are complaining about in this thread by 2 and that’s what most basketball fans are like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One change to the game which I think would help is the game is too shorten the game. 1/4 and 3/4 time should be a couple of minutes which is mainly spent having a drink and swapping ends and half time should be cut by five minutes.

Half time could be cut down a fair bit.
Players are in danger of cooling down and the shorter recovery time would be better than fiddling with rotations.

There are a lot of complexities around time on but I think they should be aiming fir each quarter to be about 25-28 minutes each..

I don't see how.
Fans are interested in seeing good football more than a specific length of football.
Quarters are short with no goals scored - we don't want to see that.
Quarters are long with many goals scored - we want to see that.

Last edited:
Folks have become used to watching footy at home since COVID.

I know several people who have also developed screen/internet addiction. They're deciding not to go out, procrastinating, they're late to appointments, they're going to bed late and waking up late, insist on working from home rather than the office (if they have an office job), etc. The effect of COVID is going to hang around for a while.

Folks have become used to watching footy at home since COVID.

I know several people who have also developed screen/internet addiction. They're deciding not to go out, procrastinating, they're late to appointments, they're going to bed late and waking up late, insist on working from home rather than the office (if they have an office job), etc. The effect of COVID is going to hang around for a while.
dont lump working from home in with that. who wants to waste thousands a year and 2+ hours a day travelling to sit at a computer doing word processing that they could do from home.

I really think the over umpiring and the softening of the game is all about the AFL trying to compete with soccer and basketball for participation and create a bigger participation gap between AFL and the rugby's. That and their concerns about concussion and the money they will have to pay out in the future for head injuries.

The data strongly suggest that if you participate in a sport as a kid you are 8 times more likely to consume that product as an adult. What they are missing though, is that most people that participate in a sport usually have interest in that sport already and that's why they play it. Also the vast majority of the population that consume the sport have never played it before.

What you are effectively doing is ruining one of the great aspects of the sport meaning the physicality and brutality of it, which attracts a large percentage of viewers that will begin to switch off. So the gains that you might get from more participation because the game is seen as safer, will be counteracted by the loss of viewers that will then turn to other sports that are more physical like rugby and UFC. It's a very fine balance, one they are tipping too far in the 'non contact' direction at the moment.

I really think the over umpiring and the softening of the game is all about the AFL trying to compete with soccer and basketball for participation and create a bigger participation gap between AFL and the rugby's. That and their concerns about concussion and the money they will have to pay out in the future for head injuries.

The data strongly suggest that if you participate in a sport as a kid you are 8 times more likely to consume that product as an adult. What they are missing though, is that most people that participate in a sport usually have interest in that sport already and that's why they play it. Also the vast majority of the population that consume the sport have never played it before.

What you are effectively doing is ruining one of the great aspects of the sport meaning the physicality and brutality of it, which attracts a large percentage of viewers that will begin to switch off. So the gains that you might get from more participation because the game is seen as safer, will be counteracted by the loss of viewers that will then turn to other sports that are more physical like rugby and UFC. It's a very fine balance, one they are tipping too far in the 'non contact' direction at the moment.
thats the medias problem then, theyre the one spouting this crap that the game is soft just because players arent whacking each other off the ball. the game today is tougher than it ever has been.

Most of this thread is just nonsense without any backing data or evidence.

But one thing that is true is that the coverage of the game is in a pretty dire state. Channel 7s entire approach and team is incredibly stale. The best thing that could happen for the AFL is someone else getting the rights.

Most of this thread is just nonsense without any backing data or evidence.

But one thing that is true is that the coverage of the game is in a pretty dire state. Channel 7s entire approach and team is incredibly stale. The best thing that could happen for the AFL is someone else getting the rights.
trouble is channel 9 and 10 , and fox, are equally rubbish. same dumb commentators, same dumb camera angles, same dumb 'analysis' and so on. its not just afl either, we have very poor sports coverage standards as a whole in australia.

trouble is channel 9 and 10 , and fox, are equally rubbish. same dumb commentators, same dumb camera angles, same dumb 'analysis' and so on. its not just afl either, we have very poor sports coverage standards as a whole in australia.

You can’t have good media coverage unless you have independent media coverage. As the AFL refuse to allow any independent media cover their product you end up with a puppet show as we have now.
How on Earth did the media allow the AFL to run them when they are the ones paying the bills.

You can’t have good media coverage unless you have independent media coverage. As the AFL refuse to allow any independent media cover their product you end up with a puppet show as we have now.
How on Earth did the media allow the AFL to run them when they are the ones paying the bills.

So you can't even do it on CH 31?

I was gonna do it.. but bugger it now man.

Oh well.. I might have a segment on cooking.. or.. how to lower and slam a Gemi man.. how to do sick skiddies heel and toe it and do mad j turns and donuts in it and that man.. how to blip the throttle.. basically.. how to get the best out of it and that man.

has nothing to do with the afl. you think the afl are demanding spuds like darcy get the main commentary gig, or for the cameramen to follow meaningless stuff like some player doing up his shoelaces while the play is going on, or zooming so far in to the player with the ball that you can see his zits but not the options up field for him to kick to? thats nothing to do with the afl, or even channel 7. its just the s**t standard of sports broadcasting we have as a whole. plus the biggest muckraking journos are afl employed journos, like barrett. and if you sack every single one of them you know whos gonna replace them? their apprentices who will do the exact same thing because thats all theyve been taught.

you wa people need to stop blaming the afl for everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back