Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Writing him off as a bust is silly, but to be honest, I also think suggesting he is going to be only elite from what we have seen is also potentially blind optimism.
fixed.

Yeah some posters are jumping the gun here, but equally, I don't think being 'very pleased' is realistic either.

There's legit questions on DGB, but importantly, they're not going to be answered anytime soon.

Writing him off as a bust is silly, but to be honest, I also think suggesting he is going to be elite from what we have seen is also potentially blind optimism.
No mate. For a 15 gamer who is playing in the hardest role on the ground before he is ready I am very pleased with what he has shown. Going to be plenty of ups and downs. It's the same old negative posters with their doomsday outlook that bumps this thread

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Logan McDonald has been dropped and in&out of the team, Ugle Hagan can't get a game, Thilthorpe struggled to get a game this year and currently worst on the ground today, Philips even when fit struggled and was dropped, Campbell dropped for this week, Hollands cant get a game at the Suns.

Welp I guess the first 7 picks are all fails.

That draft class has had it struggles which makes perfect sense considering the Covid shutdown.

Thought DGB was one of our best players against Brisbane. Especially in the first half when they were on top.

I didn't see a single second of the Gold Coast game but was disappointed to see that Denver had been omitted this week.

Not concerned at all about his trajectory. He's in a similar position to Will Day where his body is far from fully developed in a position that requires strength. I suspect when DGB hits 22 years of age we'll be in awe of his ability.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That draft class has had it struggles which makes perfect sense considering the Covid shutdown.

Thought DGB was one of our best players against Brisbane. Especially in the first half when they were on top.

I didn't see a single second of the Gold Coast game but was disappointed to see that Denver had been omitted this week.

Not concerned at all about his trajectory. He's in a similar position to Will Day where his body is far from fully developed in a position that requires strength. I suspect when DGB hits 22 years of age we'll be in awe of his ability.
Denver was always going to be the slowest to develop of the 4 talls drafted, lacked size and endurance, yet he was still rated by many as the number one player in the draft.

Chol's speed and size is what got DBG last week(kept holding and looking back so he didn't lose Chol on a lead), in time with more experience he will stop worrying about what his opponent can do and focus on what he can, this will come on faster once he gains more size.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dekoning didn't have Stewart to support him tonight yet he smashed one of the best forwards in the game...he won his one on ones,, all of them!! Something Dgb has been clueless at..good backline or not, if you can't compete one on one you shouldn't be playing key back.
So keep your naive opinions to yourself and enjoy watching Dgb lose us games this weekend as well... Oh wait, he's been dropped!
You are an actual Nuffie

DeKoning is older then DGB

You completely ignored the points i made regarding midfield dominance from Geelong which allows easier defensive play (which was the case again on Friday night)

We dont put enough pressure on at the coal face to allow the defence to defend properly

But alas, you are the naive one who is writing off a KPD player after 15 games

I'm curious, did I miss the memo? Just been in the Ward thread and now this one. Am I supposed to be shitting on our young players.......
We've lost 2 games in a row now, that means our youth are s**t and we need to look at how Carlton and Gold Coast have been able to attract such great young talent.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Denver was always going to be the slowest to develop of the 4 talls drafted, lacked size and endurance, yet he was still rated by many as the number one player in the draft.

Chol's speed and size is what got DBG last week(kept holding and looking back so he didn't lose Chol on a lead), in time with more experience he will stop worrying about what his opponent can do and focus on what he can, this will come on faster once he gains more size.
Also the conditions out at TIO would've been hard for him to play to. It would've been like running on a bar of soap at times. Defenders have to react to what the forwards do which is hard enough in normal conditions.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Feels like it’s going to be a frustrating wait with DGB. Until he gets the required size hard to know whether he has flaws in his game in composure etc. Hard to see even in 12 months DGB having the size required.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Feels like it’s going to be a frustrating wait with DGB. Until he gets the required size hard to know whether he has flaws in his game in composure etc. Hard to see even in 12 months DGB having the size required.

We won't know for 2-3 years if he was worth where we selected him in the draft, but fingers crossed it all works out.

As for HHQ can we bring back CrannyPete ?

Aug 23, 2009
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've noticed Gibcus mentioned in this thread a couple of times as a point of comparison for Denver. Having watched him last night and a few other occasions i can safely say that he'd have plenty of our own questioning his ability if he were playing in our backline.

(fwiw i think he'll be a gun too!)

I've noticed Gibcus mentioned in this thread a couple of times as a point of comparison for Denver. Having watched him last night and a few other occasions i can safely say that he'd have plenty of our own questioning his ability if he were playing in our backline.

(fwiw i think he'll be a gun too!)
Agree. Gibcus didn't look great last night. But it's one game and so early in his career.

Like DGB.

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From Otten:

Denver Grainger-Barras (10 disposals, 4 marks)

“We gave Denver a role on one of their key forwards and he won that battle throughout the day, he was much better with his intensity and effort which was great. He was most improved this week.
I like that he was given a role on a key forward and had the better of that match up. I hope it continues for his development.

Interesting comment about intensity… Denver seems like a player not lacking in intensity. Maybe it was his confidence which took a dip and impacted on his output.

Dewwwww

All Australian
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With 6 games to go in the season is it worth throwing Denver forward for a couple of the games to see how he goes?

The last 6 games should be used to trial things in games and with the emergence of Blanck to partner up with Sicily and potentially Frost to take the opposition’s key forwards could Denver be a potential partner up forward to Lewis?

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
With 6 games to go in the season is it worth throwing Denver forward for a couple of the games to see how he goes?

The last 6 games should be used to trial things in games and with the emergence of Blanck to partner up with Sicily and potentially Frost to take the opposition’s key forwards could Denver be a potential partner up forward to Lewis?

The emergence of Logue as a 'defensive key forward' playing on the oppositions best interceptors has been very interesting to watch. I think there are merits to the role.

Think Denver has the athleticism, the natural competitiveness and skillset to play that role.

Would rather see Denver play with a license to intercept as either third man or true CHB. We've played him as a stopper mainly but he played his best footy as a junior as the big dog down back.

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Not against the idea, but Denver has just come back into the side, so I’d be inclined to keep him in defense for now and let him develop chemistry with Sic and Blancky.

No.

He’s played 16 games, has just spent a block of games at Box Hill being reprogrammed. Now is not the time to throw him into a completely different end of the ground.

Back