Player Watch Patrick Parnell - Contract Extension To End of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Nicks post match might have been using the injury to demote him in favour of Brown. His comments somewhat followed on from yesterday's comments around the reality of being selected and then dropped after one game. Nicks referred to Brown and Butts as forced changes which suggests they'll both be straight back in.
I liked Paddy's game today and in spite of a few errors, he showed enough for me to retain him. He definately had a better game than most of our others 'smalls'. Rowe and Murphy were sub standard. Play Paddy at HFF if Brown returns.

Have they found all the pieces of him yet?

Poor lad got split in half with that hit.

Was not a bad debut from him though.
In the 3rd quarter he jumped out of the way of Kennedy in a contest and the Eagles ended up kicking a goal. Was furious with himself and looked pretty dejected but a few of our guys got around him immediately. Pat on the back, next contest etc I assume.

Next time he was in a similar situation he barrelled in 100% and didn't flinch - got cleaned up. Looked painful. Pleased to hear it's only a corkie.

Hopefully he's physically up to the rigours of it because his skills look good.

In the 3rd quarter he jumped out of the way of Kennedy in a contest and the Eagles ended up kicking a goal. Was furious with himself and looked pretty dejected but a few of our guys got around him immediately. Pat on the back, next contest etc I assume.

Next time he was in a similar situation he barrelled in 100% and didn't flinch - got cleaned up. Looked painful. Pleased to hear it's only a corkie.

Hopefully he's physically up to the rigours of it because his skills look good.
If I was 71kg I’d pull out of the way of Kennedy aswell 😂😂😂😂

We like that. Means they(his kicks) will make it over the top of opposition players. Rare attribute in our side.
Be nice to be able to see a bullet when it needs to be, a couple of times it looked like the oppo was going to close one of his kicks down, when it didn’t need to be like that.
I haven’t seen him play before though, the wraps are good!

Be nice to be able to see a bullet when it needs to be, a couple of times it looked like the oppo was going to close one of his kicks down, when it didn’t need to be like that.
I haven’t seen him play before though, the wraps are good!

He's a smart kid and probably playing it safe on debut. There is a "bullet" in his kit bag I'm sure. Reckon there's even a left footed bullet once he settles.

I also love that he follows up his kicks.

I thought he was solid without being "good". His usual SANFL precision kicking wasn't quite there, and hacked kicked more than I would have liked.
I think that was first game stuff getting used to the speed.
Dropping him for Brown would be absolute insanity.

Which is why I'm sure the selectors will do it.

Good debut, shame Brown comes back. If Patty keeps his spot it'll be Hamill making way. Either way, welcome back Brown and the games played average improvement that you bring.
Leave patty in and move hamill out if brown needs to be brought back. I'm not sure why you would bring brown back btw. 15 possessions is a great first up effort. Didn't look scared to take the game on. Was an awful day and on a dry deck he will show his skills. I like how he runs forward with the ball out of a pack. There was one occassion in the first half were I saw him not do it as he thought he was under more pressure than he was and he dump kicked it Laird style but he usually always takes the game on with his speed. 10 or so games into him this year would be a good result and then hitting the weights hard over the offseason.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was solid without being "good". His usual SANFL precision kicking wasn't quite there, and hacked kicked more than I would have liked.
I think that was first game stuff getting used to the speed.
Dropping him for Brown would be absolute insanity.

Which is why I'm sure the selectors will do it.
I haven’t seen him but was happy with his game: didn’t rate his kicking as laser that I have read about, glad to hear yesterday was below his standard but still good

See I liked Hamill's game. Dropping him now will do more harm to our development.
Yes, Hamill has played a block of decent footy & needs to stating the side.

Brown likely to return for Parnell, but given Brown's inconsistent form, he shouldn't be pushing anyone out.

Good debut, shame Brown comes back. If Patty keeps his spot it'll be Hamill making way. Either way, welcome back Brown and the games played average improvement that you bring.
I'm hoping that Paddy might play further up the ground if Brown returns. I saw enough to trial replacing Murphy or Rowe.
Image having a good user on either foot on our half forward line...

See I liked Hamill's game. Dropping him now will do more harm to our development.
My only knock on Hamill is his kicking is not that good. I would leave Hamill in with Parnell but I know Nick's needs Browns games played to increase the average games per player so when Nicks brings Brown straight back in I would keep Parnell in. You don't drop a player after one game and especially if they played well in their first game. Give Parnell another game and if he outperforms brown which he will you bring Hamill back in for Brown.

Recruiters were slammed for bringing this kid in. Social media / boards here wanted another KPF, looks a player

I would have taken Jack Hayes at the time. Will be a success at the Saints and was in our back yard.
The 5 or so games he has played before doing a knee were good. Now he has a season on the sidelines. Again not really a need for us. Quality ball users were

Remove this Banner Ad

Back