Fremantle Under Longmuir

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
A question mark for me is how they play in a high stakes final when almost all of their squad has never played in a final before.

I keep getting Hawks 2008 vibes from this freo team but then I remember Hawthorn played in two finals the year before.

I can see Brisbane and Geelong beating them in a qualifying final even if it were held at Optus just on that alone.
Saying that.... Doesn't matter if your team has not played a final yet. Win, lose, draw or tank, you get finals experience regardless.

Saying let's talk about some non Vic sides 1st finals win and see what finals experience they had.....

Crows: 1st final was against Hawks in 1993 and crows won. Hawks had a lot of finals experience. Crows only had one player that has played finals. That was Greg Anderson from Essendon. Played 6 finals for Essendon and won 2 finals.

Brisbane: 1st finals win was Essendon by a point and had guys Like Roger Merrett, ironically played and won finals with Essendon, who had more finals experience than Brisbane. Adrian Fletcher won a final with the saints in 1992. Michael McClean played in a winning final in 1992 with the dogs.

Fremantle: played their 1st final in 2003 and lost to Essendon. Freo beat Melbourne for their 1st finals win in 2006. Melbourne has more finals experience. They had Neale Daniher as coach. Demon's made a prelim final in 1998, grand final In 2000, semi final In 2002, Elim finals in 2004-6.

Freo in 2006, traded in players that had finals experience in Peter Bell, Des Headland, Josh Carr and Jeff farmer off the top of my head.

Ports 1st final was that semi final in 2002 vs Essendon. Port had a few players that played finals from other clubs. Gavin Wanganeen and Damien Hardwick played finals ironically against Essendon, Byron picket played finals for north. Essendon was solid and they had more finals experience compared to Port in that 2002 semi final.

Swans 1st finals win was in 1996 vs the Hawks. Tony Lockett won a final with the saints, Paul Roos won a couple of finals with Fitzroy in 1986.

West coast 1st final was in 1988 and they had guys like Ross Glendenning that played and won finals for north. Dean Turner like Paul Roos, won finals with Fitzroy in 1986. Eagles won a final vs demons in 1990 with no player with finals experience. Dean Turner was in the Eagles 1990 preliminary final side. That 1990 demons side had more finals experience than west coast as they played finals in 1987-89.

GWS 1st final was In 2016 and they beat the swans, they had players like Shane Mumford and heath Shaw that won finals at previous clubs.

So there's a common denominator.....

With the exception of west coast. All of those other 6 clubs won their 1st final with a player on their side not only played finals but won a final with a previous club.

Also, all those 6 teams that won their 1st final beat their opponents which had more finals experience than them.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Freo have played some amazing football against Melbourne & Brisbane in the space of 2 weeks. It suggests they have the ability to win the whole darn thing but history does also suggest they may be peaking at the wrong time. That is all I insinuated with my original post.

So if we'd lost the last two it would mean Melbourne and Brisbane are peaking too early?

So if we'd lost the last two it would mean Melbourne and Brisbane are peaking too early?
Interesting counter-point.

I'd argue no, simply because Melbourne still lost to Sydney and Brisbane's form has been patchy as of recent (Hawthorn loss, GWS poor start).

But also a counter argument to my own original post, because why not at this point, is does winning two games really classify as 'peaking early'. I'm not entirely sure, maybe we'll look back in a few months and argue yes or maybe it'll be no. The beauty of hindsight, which is lacking right now.

Definitely prefer this type of general discussion though then just "You're salty, shut up".

Seriously it's all good. I didn't take offence. Maybe Freo supporters are used to others having a crack. We're usually quick with the comeback but I don't think we take it too seriously. Sorry if it came across as more than that.
No apologies required. While I didn't direct an attack at any individual, I did make a shot at the club in jest and would be lying if I expected no response. Although would have preferred more general discussion rather than just finger pointing.

I think Fremantle are an interesting topic moving forward. This whole notion of "finals experience" I believe is bull and is generally a cop out for when teams do not perform come finals time. A good example is the Lions in 2019 after rising from the Bottom 4 to the Top 4, although we did run into an incredible Richmond and a GWS team that made the GF after years of sustained success in finals. We still underperformed in that GWS game and should have won, IMO.

I look at Fremantle and I wonder, will they be able to beat say a Melbourne or Geelong come finals time. I don't have the answer but we'll find out and that's all you can ask for as a supporter, to have your team in the conversation.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

I'd argue no, simply because Melbourne still lost to Sydney and Brisbane's form has been patchy as of recent (Hawthorn loss, GWS poor start).

But also a counter argument to my own original post, because why not at this point, is does winning two games really classify as 'peaking early'. I'm not entirely sure, maybe we'll look back in a few months and argue yes or maybe it'll be no. The beauty of hindsight, which is lacking right now.

Definitely prefer this type of general discussion though then just "You're salty, shut up".

I mean, we also lost two in a row before the Melbourne game so it's a very sudden, short-term peak if we are peaking too early.

Purple Maverick

Let the cobblers do the cobbling
Sep 6, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Leeds Utd FC
Melbourne will be a challenge to beat in Sept, but we know The lions are snowflakes when it comes to finals so we will have at one gimme win if we face them

I mean, we also lost two in a row before the Melbourne game so it's a very sudden, short-term peak if we are peaking too early.
I figured that those losses were mostly attributed to the weather, at least that's what I've read/gathered over the last week or so on BF.

What the club has done since Lyon was moved on (and I'd still have him as our best ever coach as it stands) has been nothing short of sensational. A reset from the top down. Coaching group, S&C, list management and club management have been overhauled completely and from an external point of view, the club is running as well as it ever has, even during the 2010-15 period. The build on-field has been fantastic to watch build as JL slowly got them playing on every line, exactly the way they want them playing and there seems to be an environment where anyone and everyone can succeed, as indicated by how many of our low draft picks have come on.

Do I think we are Flagmantle? I think only true nuffies would think that, I do think that with the age of our list with clearly no reliance on a Fyfe, Colyer, Mundy or Walters (the only players currently 30 or over) and off-field set up we have, we have never been in a position to contend for a flag for such a long period of time. Never been a better time to be a Freo supporter.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
What the club has done since Lyon was moved on (and I'd still have him as our best ever coach as it stands) has been nothing short of sensational. A reset from the top down. Coaching group, S&C, list management and club management have been overhauled completely and from an external point of view, the club is running as well as it ever has, even during the 2010-15 period. The build on-field has been fantastic to watch build as JL slowly got them playing on every line, exactly the way they want them playing and their seems to be an environment where anyone and everyone can succeed, as indicated by how many of our low draft picks have come on.

Do I think we are Flagmantle? I think only true nuffies would think that, I do think that with the age of our list with clearly no reliance on a Fyfe, Colyer Mundy or Walters (the only players currently 30 or over) and off-field set up we have, we have never been in a position to contend for a flag for such a long period of time. Never been a better time to be a Freo supporter.
It's looking good..but you can never take sustainable success for granted. There's been many young teams that have popped up for a year of two before crawling back into obscurity ..

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Melbourne will be a challenge to beat in Sept, but we know The lions are snowflakes when it comes to finals so we will have at one gimme win if we face them

Their forward line is suspect. If Fritz and a tall and/or Gawn don’t kick 10 between them come Pre-lim or GF day they are vulnerable

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

No apologies required. While I didn't direct an attack at any individual, I did make a shot at the club in jest and would be lying if I expected no response. Although would have preferred more general discussion rather than just finger pointing.

I think Fremantle are an interesting topic moving forward. This whole notion of "finals experience" I believe is bull and is generally a cop out for when teams do not perform come finals time. A good example is the Lions in 2019 after rising from the Bottom 4 to the Top 4, although we did run into an incredible Richmond and a GWS team that made the GF after years of sustained success in finals. We still underperformed in that GWS game and should have won, IMO.

I look at Fremantle and I wonder, will they be able to beat say a Melbourne or Geelong come finals time. I don't have the answer but we'll find out and that's all you can ask for as a supporter, to have your team in the conversation.

Lions 2001 is another example and they beat the greatest team in history

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Given my team won't be in the finals this year, I'm very much on the Freo bandwagon and get ready for it Dockers fans, a lot of people will be jumping on. You are either going to be the heroes or villains of 2022. Outside of the Hawks, the Dockers are the only team in contention I would want to win the whole thing. So I'll either be really happy for you lot or angry that you didn't get the job done against sides I don't particularly like.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal

I do believe in footy clubs peaking too early. There's been evidence of that in the past. Ultimately though I think these wins were important for the psyche of the playing group. If they'd gone into finals without having defeated Melbourne or Brisbane throughout the season I'd almost put them down for a straight sets exit.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Given my team won't be in the finals this year, I'm very much on the Freo bandwagon and get ready for it Dockers fans, a lot of people will be jumping on. You are either going to be the heroes or villains of 2022. Outside of the Hawks, the Dockers are the only team in contention I would want to win the whole thing. So I'll either be really happy for you lot or angry that you didn't get the job done against sides I don't particularly like.

After the Lyon years we'll take that 😂

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t get people saying freo are peaking now.
How can you peak when your captain hasn’t played yet.
Your leading goal kicker has been scratchy or injured most weeks.
Heaps of players have been out with covid.
And have played 6 of the top 8 unlike others teams.
Our mid TOG has to be one of the lowest in the comp, should help us stay fresh for the pointy end of the season.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
#flagmantle is rampant out west now.

Especially with the Eagles having a nightmare season, hopes may have never been higher than they are right now. 😬
The hope is more based around the future than winning it this year. We’re in it but missing out won’t be a disaster looking at our list age & who our best players are each week.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Disappointed with that loss to Carlton.

10 wins and 4 losses.

Hoping Freo beat port in Perth to make it 11 wins and 4 losses.

Most Freo fans are dreaming of top 4 and a 2022 flag .

Start of the season not many Dockers fans predicted to see Freo in the top 4.

I predicted start of the season a 7th-10th placed finish.

Happy to nail 5th or 6th and a home final (win).

Back