Thursday night footy

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Be great if the AFL could schedule a decent game for a Thursday or Friday night.

Last Sunday we had Freo v Lions in a terrible time slot but was an awesome game.

Tonight was mediocre v s**t.

Tomorrow night is good v s**t.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love it, I wish it was permanent. Also a monday night game. I can only sit through 1 game per day especially with the current umpiring so the more spread out the better. No point having 5 games on a saturday.

Have a game every night except tuesday and wednesday, 2 days without footy is just enough to make you miss it again

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Any reason to block out the whining of the battleaxe is gratefully accepted. I vote for footy on a daily basis.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I enjoy watching on TV more.
It's ******* cold.
Public transport is annoying, and time consuming.
Food and beverage at the game is crap and expensive.
Going to the toilet is gross and time consuming.
Ticketing is a pain.
I have a far better view, replays, and can keep track of the smaller things when watching from home.
Thursday night is amazing for TV, s**t for attending.

Come at me AFL 2000.

Django

Senior List
Jun 11, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Be great if the AFL could schedule a decent game for a Thursday or Friday night.

Last Sunday we had Freo v Lions in a terrible time slot but was an awesome game.

Do you consider Sydney to be a mediocre or good football side? It seems that your justification of the poor crowd tonight is due to 2 mediocre or s**t teams playing. That seems like a strange take given Sydney are very much in the vicinity of Richmond when it comes to ladder positioning. So much so that, they were even on points when they played 2 rounds ago, and Sydney had a come from behind win by a grand total of 6 points. It was a classic 8 point game. A slip up by any side in the top 10 could have big ramifications on ladder position this season. We will all know a lot more come the end of the season.

My take on tonight is that it is a poor fixture. Almost no teams/clubs like Thursday night football, especially in Winter as it doesn't work for a lot of supporters. In tonights case, either play 2 local teams, or play it interstate with local teams. Marvel could also be an option as it is indoors, but on the general whole, most clubs would be happy not to play Thursday night matches outside of the odd public holiday eve blockbuster.

Thursday night football only really makes sense from a corporate position that is looking to prioritise TV right money.

There is another Thursday night game in Melbourne next week. Given that the game is between 2 traditional Melbourne rival teams (Carlton V Richmond), and not an interstate team, I would imagine the crowd will be better. It is still not an ideal fixture for any team, particularly the home team, as it results in less gate revenue than a family friendly time slot.

Django

Senior List
Jun 11, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Do you consider Sydney to be a mediocre or good football side? It seems that your justification of the poor crowd tonight is due to 2 mediocre or s**t teams playing. That seems like a strange take given Sydney are very much in the vicinity of Richmond when it comes to ladder positioning. So much so that, they were even on points when they played 2 rounds ago, and Sydney had a come from behind win by a grand total of 6 points. It was a classic 8 point game. A slip up by any side in the top 10 could have big ramifications on ladder position this season. We will all know a lot more come the end of the season.

My take on tonight is that it is a poor fixture. Almost no teams/clubs like Thursday night football, especially in Winter as it doesn't work for a lot of supporters. In tonights case, either play 2 local teams, or play it interstate with local teams. Marvel could also be an option as it is indoors, but on the general whole, most clubs would be happy not to play Thursday night matches outside of the odd public holiday eve blockbuster.

Thursday night football only really makes sense from a corporate position that is looking to prioritise TV right money.

There is another Thursday night game in Melbourne next week. Given that the game is between 2 traditional Melbourne rival teams (Carlton V Richmond), and not an interstate team, I would imagine the crowd will be better. It is still not an ideal fixture for any team, particularly the home team, as it results in less gate revenue than a family friendly time slot.
Just to add to this. I have been a RFC Member since 1998 and I didn't go as I was working. Footy isn't such an enticing form of paid entertainment as it was either. That is not to say I dislike the game, rather people and families in particular are choosing to spend their money in other areas, particularly since COVID.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU

They really only had the option of Brisbane/StKilda game as there is only 6 games this weekend with the Monday game locked in. It was the next best game available.

Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Well done Tiger Army for collectively sticking the middle finger up to Gil and his pals and told them exactly where they can stick their Thursday night footy. Keep it up and hopefully they'll leave us out of it

Lets Roar like '44

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The AFL think all footy fans live a 5 min walk from the ground. What normal person living in regional Vic is going to be bothered going to the G on a Thurs night?
Now I see the AFL are going to do another survey, aka let’s pretend we care what the plebs want, and then don’t do it.
The games start at s**t times, that’s your problem Gil ya flog.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
With the bulk of money coming from broadcasting these days, it's not a surprise that comp admins are appeasing them with their preferred timeslots, and more stand alone matches.

The NRL has been doing this for several seasons now. Thursday night footy is s**t for crowds. They have a 6pm Friday timeslot just so another game can be stand alone with crowds for this match dependant upon who it features and where it's played. They actually had 1st vs 3rd play in this timeslot a few weeks back which was ridiculous. A big crowd at Penrith for it, but most folks are generally on the road or having dinner at that time. I think the slot was originally designed to predominantly feature the Warriors at home (+2hr AEST), but COVID ****ed that up.

I know folks love footy and would have it every day if possible, but personally it just waters down the 'product.' I love the NFL system where about 13 of their 16 matches are scheduled on Sundays. They're prohibited from selling games to broadcasters on Friday nights and Saturdays during high-school and college football season. It means most games are during the day or twilight. Overall, you dedicate one day to watching the sport and look forward to it for another week. We've lost that with AFL & NRL. Footy fans who would lap up several games a weekend now only watch their team play. That's already commitment in itself as they could play Friday night one week, Sunday arvo another week, Saturday twilight the next, etc. Perhaps maybe watch another attractive match on tele that round. But that's really it.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
With the bulk of money coming from broadcasting these days, it's not a surprise that comp admins are appeasing them with their preferred timeslots, and more stand alone matches.

The NRL has been doing this for several seasons now. Thursday night footy is s**t for crowds. They have a 6pm Friday timeslot just so another game can be stand alone with crowds for this match dependant upon who it features and where it's played. They actually had 1st vs 3rd play in this timeslot a few weeks back which was ridiculous. A big crowd at Penrith for it, but most folks are generally on the road or having dinner at that time. I think the slot was originally designed to predominantly feature the Warriors at home (+2hr AEST), but COVID ducked that up.

I know folks love footy and would have it every day if possible, but personally it just waters down the 'product.' I love the NFL system where about 13 of their 16 matches are scheduled on Sundays. They're prohibited from selling games to broadcasters on Friday nights and Saturdays during high-school and college football season. It means most games are during the day or twilight. Overall, you dedicate one day to watching the sport and look forward to it for another week. We've lost that with AFL & NRL. Footy fans who would lap up several games a weekend now only watch their team play. That's already commitment in itself as they could play Friday night one week, Sunday arvo another week, Saturday twilight the next, etc. Perhaps maybe watch another attractive match on tele that round. But that's really it.
Monday night NFL is a staple in the US.

What I'm reading in this thread is people with kids expect the world to revolve around them because they are so special and so awesome for society.
One bloke had 4 kids.
Maybe he should get the snip rather than expect the world to all spin around his rug rats.
Bigfooty is so conservative.its like the hillsong church newsletter.

Back