AFL is on the decline - the younger generation is just not that into you

Remove this Banner Ad

games arent often decided by umpiring. and as soft as the neale and mitchell decisions were, if they just played footy instead of hitting/pushing each other off the ball there'd be no free kick.

I think some games the umpires definitely make an impact on the result. The game is all about possession more than ever now. If you watch the Richmond v Crows game. Adelaide were given TWENTY more free kicks.. they were given possession 20 more times. They wouldn't call holding the ball for Richmond only for Adelaide etc When a team is given possession of the ball TWENTY more times than the opposition in a tight game.... The advantaged team is playing with an extra player... a good extra player too.

The finals quarter tonight is a perfect example of how crap the spectacle of the game currently is. To many teams not wiling to take any risks in order to try and win, to afraid to lose big. More comfortable with honorable losses. while the winning team is just happy to preserve. But at least the players stuck to the team structures hey.
To be fair, we're on a six day break... on a wet night the risk of injury is greater. I'd say it's smart management rather than about taking risks.

So what "new rules" would you like rescinded ?

Ruck nomination, it is not Auskick. Any player should be able to contest the ruck.

Allow third man up for ruck knocks

Kick the ball from the goal square after a behind, another Auskick rule letting them run out 20-30 meters to help get ball out if defensive area, this is what we do for the kiddies not for the AFL.

10m exclusion zone rule needs to be gone, this is just gifting goals for nothing. You either actually interfere or you don’t. If you do interfere then it’s 50 but just running passed someone should not be 50m.

Stand rule is just not quite right, they need to call play on much quicker. The player with ball is getting away with a bit here. Not sure I like or hate this rule. Prefer it as it was.

I have followed this game for over 45 years and in my opinion this is the worse the game has ever looked.

You blame the coaches but it is only in the last 15 years that the look of the game has become an issue, did we win or did we lose was all that is important. We had good hands and we had bad hands just as we do now.

The only good thing the AFL has done is remove the violence from the sport, not one other change however was required.

People think changing rules/interpretations is evolution when it’s not.
Evolution is playing the exactly same sport but being fitter, more strategic, stronger, faster etc but still playing the same rules. That is evolution.
Changing rules/interpretations is actually changing the sport and that’s what they have done.
I am so glad it’s called AFL now as it’s only a poor cousin to Australian Rules Football.

Everything can be fixed if they pay holding the ball.
If a player has possesion of the ball and is tackled no matter the time limit, that should be holding the ball.
That's how it was umpired in the 60's.
For some reason the AFL want the player to have 5 seconds leniency when tackled.
60's football is awful, no skills just get ball bomb ball. NO thanks.

Ruck nomination, it is not Auskick. Any player should be able to contest the ruck.
Allow third man up for ruck knocks

Make all bouncedowns and throw-ins the same with two ruckmen in a 5m radius exclusion zone around the umpire.
Opens up the play, returns athleticism to rucking, protects the umpire and less laws.

Kick the ball from the goal square after a behind, another Auskick rule letting them run out 20-30 meters to help get ball out if defensive area, this is what we do for the kiddies not for the AFL.

Simplest setup is pay a free kick to the FB 15m out on the edge of a 15m "box"
Simple, quick, easy to umpire, pleasant on the eye and reduces the number of laws considerably.

10m exclusion zone rule needs to be gone, this is just gifting goals for nothing. You either actually interfere or you don’t. If you do interfere then it’s 50 but just running passed someone should not be 50m.
Stand rule is just not quite right, they need to call play on much quicker. The player with ball is getting away with a bit here. Not sure I like or hate this rule. Prefer it as it was.

It's an AFL law that works for the AFL.
I see quicker policing of "play on" and allowing players to leave the area.
Side point - don't see how a player coming from behind to stand on the mark is legal

I have followed this game for over 45 years and in my opinion this is the worse the game has ever looked.

Nah. That decade where if you were penalised for meerly carrying the player forward in the tackle.
Also the long term grappling in a marking contest.
now we have grappling in a rucking contest.

You blame the coaches but it is only in the last 15 years that the look of the game has become an issue

The coaches have driven the evolution of the game.
The umpires didn't say use the drop punt instead of the drop kick.
The umpires didn't say kick the ball o.o.b. when you're leading in the last quarter.
The umpires didn't say handball continuously.
The umpires didn't say "tag" the best players.
The umpires didn't say "flood" or "build the wall" etc.

The only good thing the AFL has done is remove the violence from the sport, not one other change however was required.

It has forced a lot of lazy players, mainly taller players to meet shoulder with shoulder.
It has largely removed thuggery and emphasized skill.

People think changing rules/interpretations is evolution when it’s not.

Yes, that correct. Evolution are those things that coaches brought in throughout history.
Umpires could not force players to use the drop kick........but they could.
A drop kick could be mandatory as a kick-in or set shot on goal or worth more for example.
Umpire did not limit the number of handballs as they do in Gaelic Football.
They did however improve the interpretation whereby bouncing the ball was considered in possession and not a disposal
as is kicking, handpassing and throwing the ball to yourself.

I am so glad it’s called AFL now as it’s only a poor cousin to Australian Rules Football.

Yes. There should be laws of the game and an appendum for AFL - NOT the other way around.

They've made the game to robotic no personalities no passion.
Ticketing has been made a lot harder
Rule changes/Inconsistent Umpring
We live in Expensive times
Covid would be one of the least issue while ppl go to the football now
I would not be surprised if the TV ratings are also down.

In my opinion
-Post Covid and uncertain times people probably aren’t going to live sports as much
-Increased professionalism players are fitter and able to cover more ground less space on offer
-coaches will look to stem scoring first it’s not a new phenomenon sports are trending this way
- absurd rule changes i umpired ammo’s in 2019 it was tough then let alone now.

The game is unquestionably more congested and defensive then it was. Personally I’d simplify the interpretation of rules, make it cheaper to attend, more fta games and let the game Evolve naturally

Much simpler than you blokes are making it. Virtually two years of watching everything from home people can't be stuffed with the expense and travel. That's the start and end of it. Over the next few years that'll revert to the norm but we'll see how long it takes.

Ooooh. Cant wait to see the questions
View attachment 1420577

Where did you get this I'd love to fill it in? Whilst I think there are a number of reasons mostly covid and new habits I think it's in the best interests of football for fans to say the over umpiring of the game, as that's the most damaging to my enjoyment even if I'm sitting at home in the couch watching.

If a player has possesion of the ball and is tackled no matter the time limit, that should be holding the ball.
For some reason the AFL want the player to have 5 seconds leniency when tackled.
Nobody would stand for a game with 80 free kicks per game like the 60s, and rightly so.

Besides, teams are so much better at pack defence now that this rule would be unworkable. Nobody would go for the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody would stand for a game with 80 free kicks per game like the 60s, and rightly so.

Besides, teams are so much better at pack defence now that this rule would be unworkable. Nobody would go for the ball.
I think they would knock the ball on rather than gather it if they have someone up their clacker.

I think it is worth remembering that rule changes have come from somewhere, namely that AFL grew up a lot, tactically, 20 years ago. That resulted in fierce drop in scoring, and hence the various rules around stand, 6-6-6, rotation limits, etc.

Note what those rules (along with ruck nomination) are specifically designed to do - they are designed to force the game to be played as it used to be.

The other rules about head contact etc are all related to concussion and should not be withdrawn.

IMO, you can repeal new rules like standing, 6-6-6 and dissent all you like, but don’t be under the impression that this will bring back the 90s. Nothing will do that. Clubs are too smart now to ever defend one v one, or play to set positions.

Note what those rules (along with ruck nomination) are specifically designed to do - they are designed to force the game to be played as it used to be.

this is the American football approach.
Every time a coach developed a nre approach it was literally ruled out.
The AFL is battling to keep changes to a minimum.

The other rules about head contact etc are all related to concussion and should not be withdrawn.

The laws about head contact and charging, remember charging have always been there
they are simply being policed now.

IMO, you can repeal new rules like standing, 6-6-6

Funny, you don't mention the centre square or the centre circle. they were once new "rules".
They are one in the same - starting positions.
What's wrong in forcing players to stand 9approximately) where they should be
and not where coaches would like, at least at the bouncedown.

Face it. If you want footy as it used to be then you'd have to introduce zones.
Nobody wants to see that.
Clubs are too smart now to ever defend one v one, or play to set positions.

or forget "possession football", zone defences, flooding, tagging, building walls, running the clock down and switching (for no good reason)

Everything can be fixed if they payed holding the ball with a consistent interpretation.

No. that leads to paddle ball with no player wanting to take possession.
The law is very clear. If you are tackled you must immediately dispose of the ball (or attempt to).

That's not the way I remember it but the groundwork was a lot slower then so maybe.

No. The problem is that the AFL has no timing on the issue to make consistent decisions
instead of a "one Mississippi" count".
We have some micro-burst decions against a pirouette and disposal or a long possession followed by breaking a tackle.
If a player has half a day prior opportunity then you can jump on his back and grind him into the dirt for HTB.

Overwhelming reply from survey respondents:
Crap rule changes, crap umpires, media ruining the feel of the game by creating cheesy narratives around certain teams and players, cost of a beer at the game.

Inevitable response from the AFL:
We have heard these responses loud and clear. We will be addressing them with this 3 point plan:
  • more diversity in the commentary box to reach a wider audience
  • we will double the spending on half time entertainment. Every break will include a short live performance by Damien Lieth
  • two people said that they didn’t like the macho aspects of the game. Therefore we will introduce a new initiative to “stamp out the biffo”. We hope that this will trickle down and improve the culture in local footy.

Overwhelming reply from survey respondents:
Crap rule changes, crap umpires, media ruining the feel of the game by creating cheesy narratives around certain teams and players, cost of a beer at the game.

Inevitable response from the AFL:
We have heard these responses loud and clear. We will be addressing them with this 3 point plan:
  • more diversity in the commentary box to reach a wider audience
  • we will double the spending on half time entertainment. Every break will include a short live performance by Damien Lieth
  • two people said that they didn’t like the macho aspects of the game. Therefore we will introduce a new initiative to “stamp out the biffo”. We hope that this will trickle down and improve the culture in local footy.
OOo damien lieth

this. the rules

and they just umpire it better.
They do. Every game Ive seen they let a lot go. The 25m rule far less damaging to teams. The last touch out free kick rule seems to make it flow well.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Speaking of tickets. Tried to get a few tickets as a member for the Lions v Bulldogs game in a few weeks, but had to sit where Ticketmaster told me to sit, which I didn’t want. So ended up booking as a non member and got to pick the exact seats I wanted. At least being a member I got a fancy sticker I suppose.

Much simpler than you blokes are making it. Virtually two years of watching everything from home people can't be stuffed with the expense and travel. That's the start and end of it. Over the next few years that'll revert to the norm but we'll see how long it takes.
Yeah
The tv product is pretty good (commentary aside), ability to blow a sat/sun watching gamea back to back, night games at home means no hassle in travelling home, I have better food and beer at home.

All im missing really is the crowd and they've largely turned into angry dicks over the years.

Still love going. But i havent gone back to old habits of a game a week, possibly our vfl game and 1-2 neutral games.
My afl m'ship isnt the value it once was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back