Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know how markets work?

Exactly, now can you say with 100% certainty that they will be 2021 good again?

LoL at that!
you're not answering any of my questions. But to answer your question, no of course not. We're favourites to win the flag. But even being favourite, the odds show that we are more unlikely than likely to win the flag. It's all about whose playing their best heading into the finals.

It's all about whose playing their best heading into the finals.
He's bloody done it, this man has discovered the secret to winning a flag! Get Gill on the phone now, we need a rule change stat!

That does seem to be the point you're trying to make, yes. Albeit poorly
Not the point I am making. Comparing Richmond’s dynasty list to Melbourne’s flash in the pan list is absolutely laughable. There’s a reason we won three flags and there’s a reason why they’ve been exposed after one.

Not the point I am making. Comparing Richmond’s dynasty list to Melbourne’s flash in the pan list is absolutely laughable. There’s a reason we won three flags and there’s a reason why they’ve been exposed after one.
In 2019 after just one flag and a 5-0 start Richmond dropped 4 on the bounce.

Maybe we wait to see how the entire season plays out before we make claims like Melbourne has been exposed.

Maybe we wait to see how the entire season plays out before we make claims like Melbourne has been exposed.

Agree. It's clear that this years team is not to the level of 21. Injuries, drop off in form to key players (Ben Brown is the key to a functioning forward line and he's been non existent...as he was last year right up until the last month or so) and drop off in attitude and team first.

They will always be thereabouts due to their excellent midfield and defense. Can they get back to 21 or even improve as is usually required, time will tell. I can't see Ben Brown bring resurrected once again to turn around their forward line problems.

And teams will be relentless with their pressure from now on in. Unlike what the Dogs dished up last year.

Oh, and let's not forget the possible impact of Steven May and his arrogance. Possible.

Time will tell.

but you would've said the same thing after we lost to all the bottom 4 teams last year right? I think we've earnt the privilege for a bit more respect than what you're showing us. We're still equal top and favourites for the flag. Why? Because our best is best. Everyone knows that, regardless of our form slump. Flags aren't won in June.

This reminds me of last year when the dogs fans starting bagging us out because they beat us without Dunkley and Treloar in round 19. But then when we hit our straps, we left them in the dust. I have doubts that we'll play our best footy this year, but I don't for a second doubt that our best isn't comfortable better than anyone else. Which is why it's frustrating.
The've earnt the privilege of more respect have they? Then in the next sentence completely disregards that the other sides by saying "Our best is best, everyone knows that." Hypocrisy meter again rises off the charts.

Weideman has a severe case of the Jack Watts. Needs to impose himself but I agree, give him the rest of the season to prove himself with TMac out - not like we have much of a choice short of moving Petty up forward.

He looked like Carey in that 2018 Elimination final that the Dees smashed us in, but what's happened to him since? Seems to just have little confidence now, and has in no way progressed as a player in this time.

Part of my theory about the Dees, and it might just be a form slump, but the 'roll the arm over' efforts against North and the Eagles were unimpressive. Maybe it's just because I'm a Cat fan, but there's something impressive when a top side really goes to town on ordinary opposition, Geelong, Hawthorn, the Pies in 2010-11 all smashed sides to a withering degree...hell the Cats have dealt a bunch of 100+ point wins over the Dees in the last 25 years. North won a staggering 17 games in a row over Melbourne until the last couple of seasons, so i may have thought the Dees players may have been keen on some serious payback. But instead it was a moderate display where until the 3rd quarter the Roos were just a goal down, before the Dees won by about 8 goals.

I thought Melbourne may have wanted to really make a statement, put the hammer down and smash them. Melbourne were irrepressible from late in the 3rd Q of the last H & A game against Geelong until maybe about Rd 7-8 this year. Maybe the mentality has changed with footy, one perhaps just does the job, get the win and try to avoid injuries and maybe rest a few key players late in the game. However i do think the true mark of a all time great side is to really pummel opposition and stamp themselves as a fearsome and awe-inspiring unit. Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond had it, the Dees have the talent to show it. Like I said, it's just a mid-season lull, they remain top-2 and have time to get back into it. Perhaps though they flirted with form a bit and it's bitten them on the backside a little.

How many Demons players have actually improved this year? Brayshaw, anyone else? Maybe Viney?

The likes of Lever, Brown, Fritsch, Pickett etc seem light years off where they were last year.

I was at the game yesterday and aside from Pickett’s smother and goal, you could have told me that none of him, Spargo or Neal-Bullen were playing and I would have believed you.

Still plenty of time for them to turn it around, but there’s a much higher chance that they’ll be travelling for a QF in Perth / Brisbane (and potentially an interstate prelim) than there was a month ago.

Love this, all the oppo flogs coming out of the woodwork after declaring us dead certs for the flag just over a fortnight ago. Things are looking shaky the last few games but we're still only .2% off first. Let's see how things are tracking in a couple of months.
Better to have a form slump mid-season than in the finals, and as you say, Dees have lost 3 on the trot and are only 0.2% off first position. That said, the culture issues are not helping, and good opposition teams will now be thinking Demons are beatable. They are still flag favourites IMO

All teams lose and many have a bad run at some point during a season, but looking at Melbourne's fixture it's not going to be easy bouncing back? They have Brisbane twice with one at The Gabba, Freo in Perth, Geelong at the Catterry plus games against Cartlon, Western Bulldogs and a return match against Colingwood! They play the Adelaide teams in between with one away. The Demons could end up missing the top 4 if things don't go their way during the run home?

It's quite possible they could finsih 12-10, 13- 9 or 14-8 and that won't be enough for a top 4 position in this very even season? The wheels haven't fallen off, but there not on as tightly as they once were?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see our injury list during those games? Basically sent a VFL team out for a month. Dees are full strength minus May.

The real question is, what kind of depth have they got at the Dees? Seems if you take a player or 2 out of their best 22, they struggle.
Meanwhile, Freo, Lions and Blues have been covering for players all year.

I know the Blues have had one of the longest injury lists and have used a lot of players, but I'm not sure on the other top 4 teams in terms of players used.

Exposed???? Hmm.

That’s interesting.
See I remember when Richmond went:

2017: premiership
2018: prelim final
2019: 7-6 after 13 rounds, including a then active streak of 3 straight losses, by an average of 44.3 point, from rounds 11-13.

Lucky they were a dynasty side at that point hey.

F*** me dead the internet is wasted on some people.

Did you see our injury list during those games? Basically sent a VFL team out for a month. Dees are full strength minus May.

OOOHHHHH I see now. Flash in the pan doesn’t count when it’s Richmond after one flag because injuries. I thought you had a dynasty list though, which would see you through any injury troubles?

OOOHHHHH I see now. Flash in the pan doesn’t count when it’s Richmond after one flag because injuries. I thought you had a dynasty list though, which would see you through any injury troubles?
Ummm we do have a dynasty list? Kicked your arse on the way to our third :)

Exposed???? Hmm.

That’s interesting.
See I remember when Richmond went:

2017: premiership
2018: prelim final
2019: 7-6 after 13 rounds, including a then active streak of 3 straight losses, by an average of 44.3 point, from rounds 11-13.

Lucky they were a dynasty side at that point hey.

F*** me dead the internet is wasted on some people.
You forgot the 2020 flag when we beat Geelong.

Not really very relevant to when you were 1 flag, one missed flag, and a worse predicament than Melbourne are in now though is it?
Melbourne’s situation and ours is not comparable. Not sure why you keep bringing up our dynasty and trying to lump them with a proven great team. Long way to go for the Dees and they look in serious trouble with a fit list. We only looked vulnerable when we had injuries but we banked enough Ws to finish top four and win the flag.

We’ll see how Demons go if they cop what we did when we lost a few games on the trot. If they had half a 22 missing they’d crumble is all I’m saying.

Also, I know you’ve got a lot of built up anger from the 2020 flag loss, but there’s no need to get nasty with Richmond supporters. We didn’t deny your club a flag. Our team did. Just relax a little, pal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back