Josh Frydenberg. Out of his depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

He kicked a footy once for a photo op at Princess Park.

The idea that a lot of politicians would be good CEO's is absolutely absurd. These guys are complete grubs and career politicians. I think it's generally well accepted that the best leaders & CEO's never enter politics for a variety of reasons and that they would do a much better job than the politicians.
Politics aside, which I know is impossible for many on this forum, Josh has a very good CV. Former treasurer of Australia! Rhodes Scholar; Qualified lawyer; and former director of Global Banking at Deutsche Bank.

I agree the idea that politicians who have only worked for trade unions or in parliament making good CEO's is absurd.

Gil McLachlan was also a lawyer and worked as a management consultant with Accenture before joining the AFL.

Don't think Federal Labor can say that as the tax cuts have already been legislated.

Maybe they can do something about the ones that are proposed for in 2024.

There were three stages if I recall correctly. 2019, 2022 and 2024.
Legislation can always be altered

Don't think Federal Labor can say that as the tax cuts have already been legislated.

Maybe they can do something about the ones that are proposed for in 2024.

There were three stages if I recall correctly. 2019, 2022 and 2024.
They even already voted for them.

But they can make new tax cuts to coincide with them. They've got nearly a whole year to sort it out before their first budget. In the meantime they need to make sure all the economic mess coming this year lands squarely at the feet of the inept LNP.

If they release any economic policy changes before then, Murdoch/Costello will attack them at maximum volume so that all the problems look like the ALP's doing (to the nuffies who don't know better).

Their tactic economically this year should be "The Libs have stuffed this all up and we'll have to start fixing it next year".
If they're running corruption hearings early next year as the economy is still bad, it will highlight that the LNP is corrupt and that's what tanked the economy. You're all doing it tough because the LNP gave all the money to their mates/MPs.

The ICAC and LNP corruption should be their economic counter-narrative.

Politics aside, which I know is impossible for many on this forum, Josh has a very good CV. Former treasurer of Australia! Rhodes Scholar; Qualified lawyer; and former director of Global Banking at Deutsche Bank.

I agree the idea that politicians who have only worked for trade unions or in parliament making good CEO's is absurd.

Gil McLachlan was also a lawyer and worked as a management consultant with Accenture before joining the AFL.
mclachlan had a track record as a player and other involvement with football. frydo is a carlton supporter that's it.

he has no record of running a large commercial organisation or a record as a skilled negotiating. think he's poo-pooed the suggestion anyway. just kite flying from a radio station. buckley's chance even if he was interested.

mclachlan had a track record as a player and other involvement with football. frydo is a carlton supporter that's it.

he has no record of running a large commercial organisation or a record as a skilled negotiating. think he's poo-pooed the suggestion anyway. just kite flying from a radio station. buckley's chance even if he was interested.
If he was interested Michael Warner says he'd be a "shoe in" as Richard Goyder is hell bent on landing a big fish. That's apparently why Brendon Gale is being overlooked.

BTW, Gil only played Amateurs. Josh was a professional tennis player on the international arena. Not football, I know.

If he was interested Michael Warner says he'd be a "shoe in" as Richard Goyder is hell bent on landing a big fish. That's apparently why Brendon Gale is being overlooked.

BTW, Gil only played Amateurs. Josh was a professional tennis player on the international arena. Not football, I know.

idiots if they overlook Gale for Frydo - there is a reason richmond fans are hoping he doesnt get the gig

idiots if they overlook Gale for Frydo - there is a reason richmond fans are hoping he doesnt get the gig
Don't disagree, but when you look at Richard Goyder's CV and where he comes from (WA) you understand why he wants a "big fish" for the biggest sports CEO role in Australia.

Don't disagree, but when you look at Richard Goyder's CV and where he comes from (WA) you understand why he wants a "big fish" for the biggest sports CEO role in Australia.

we have already had one guy with no touch or feel for the game, hopefully the commission dont repeat the mistake

we have already had one guy with no touch or feel for the game, hopefully the commission dont repeat the mistake
Who was that?

The best CEO's surround themselves with the best people

Who was that?

The best CEO's surround themselves with the best people

Gilligan has been a trainwreck

only in because of the boys club, and his tenure will be remembered for awesomeness from AFLX to the stupidest rule changes in our history

They even already voted for them.

But they can make new tax cuts to coincide with them. They've got nearly a whole year to sort it out before their first budget. In the meantime they need to make sure all the economic mess coming this year lands squarely at the feet of the inept LNP.

If they release any economic policy changes before then, Murdoch/Costello will attack them at maximum volume so that all the problems look like the ALP's doing (to the nuffies who don't know better).

Their tactic economically this year should be "The Libs have stuffed this all up and we'll have to start fixing it next year".
If they're running corruption hearings early next year as the economy is still bad, it will highlight that the LNP is corrupt and that's what tanked the economy. You're all doing it tough because the LNP gave all the money to their mates/MPs.

The ICAC and LNP corruption should be their economic counter-narrative.
Next budget is going to be in October I believe and given they voted for the current tax change, not sure they can do much about them.

Maybe next May/June when the next 'normal' budget is released.

Either way I think for the average Aussie there is going to be some pain ahead as I think the previous government was incapable of reading the tea leaves for the months/years ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next budget is going to be in October I believe and given they voted for the current tax change, not sure they can do much about them.

Maybe next May/June when the next 'normal' budget is released.

Either way I think for the average Aussie there is going to be some pain ahead as I think the previous government was incapable of reading the tea leaves for the months/years ahead.
A lot of this pain was largely unavoidable. It was mostly the RBA who dragged their feet and got it all horribly wrong. They kept interest rates too low for far too long. Even saying they wouldn't increase them for 2 more years and now they're going to the moon.

The LNP wasted a lot of money, giving it away to businesses which didn't need it which has contributed to inflation, but it's a global thing. The problem is that the market just got too over-heated for too long. The irony will be that the RBA never even hit it's inflation rate. It was either well under or well over, I don't think they've got within their yearly target band at all?

A lot of this pain was largely unavoidable. It was mostly the RBA who dragged their feet and got it all horribly wrong. They kept interest rates too low for far too long. Even saying they wouldn't increase them for 2 more years and now they're going to the moon.

The LNP wasted a lot of money, giving it away to businesses which didn't need it which has contributed to inflation, but it's a global thing. The problem is that the market just got too over-heated for too long. The irony will be that the RBA never even hit it's inflation rate. It was either well under or well over, I don't think they've got within their yearly target band at all?
Not sure that I agree with the 'largely'.

As this government is going through all the accounts, think they will unearth a lot more mismanagement (waste) of finances than the give aways to businesses.

Wages remained stagnant, we became more and more a part-time, casual labour force, reducing employment in the public sector only to pay out more to consultants. Not even going to go into the pork barreling that they took to another level and the waste in defence, overpayment of Sydney airport land etc etc. The list is endless and it all adds up.

Nah, the Josh and the Morrison government has a lot to answer for, I don't envy Labor.

warner says ......rofl.

mclachlan was a top grade vafa. if u knew your football you'd know the vafa has given the afl truckloads of players -and umps 2 for that matter - & is the highest level community comp. many vfl players play there at this time when not required by their clubs. "only" amateur indeed. maclachlan represented victoria more than once and trained with st kilda. frydo played international tennis -wow that’s relevant.

as i said, frydo has no hands on football experience to speak of and no high level commercial leadership experience. nor any commercial experience as a negotiator. but let’s go for him cos he’s high profile.:rolleyes: u should re-read your posts before you post. frydo has no chance of getting the job. none. zilch. nyet. it’s fanciful rubbish.

The inept policy of funneling money to the rich will probably result in better inflation figures for us :p.

I wonder with Gas companies being on the nose, whether they'll bring in a resources export tax. Already a few news articles floating around that they don't pay any tax.

That's depressing. :(

warner says ......rofl.

u should re-read your posts before you post. frydo has no chance of getting the job. none. zilch. nyet. it’s fanciful rubbish.
If you'd bothered reading my other posts you'd have read he is NOT INTERESTED and therefore OUT OF THE PICTURE. .

But explain to me why the CEO of the AFL needs to have played Australian Rules? A good CEO surrounds himself with the appropriate experts leaving him to make CEO decisions. Why do you have to have played football to negotiate with TV channels?
as i said, frydo has no high level commercial leadership experience. nor any commercial experience as a negotiator.

So, Treasurer of a multi billion dollar economy/country counts for nothing, or having been Global Director of an overseas bank?

Take your blinkers off! Frydenberg isn't interested in this job, but he'll secure a plumb job somewhere befitting his credentials

If you'd bothered reading my other posts you'd have read he is NOT INTERESTED and therefore OUT OF THE PICTURE. .

But explain to me why the CEO of the AFL needs to have played Australian Rules? A good CEO surrounds himself with the appropriate experts leaving him to make CEO decisions. Why do you have to have played football to negotiate with TV channels?

So, Treasurer of a multi billion dollar economy/country counts for nothing, or having been Global Director of an overseas bank?

Take your blinkers off! Frydenberg isn't interested in this job, but he'll secure a plumb job somewhere befitting his credentials

Treasurer responsible for a trillion dollar debt.... don't let him anywhere near AFL money

Treasurer responsible for a trillion dollar debt.... don't let him anywhere near AFL money
But for that trillion dollar debt you know the Australian economy would be a basket case, and you also know that even after factoring in payments made to companies (which should have been repaid) a Labor government would by its own admission have racked up a much bigger debt.

Cue LOL?

But for that trillion dollar debt you know the Australian economy would be a basket case, and you also know that even after factoring in payments made to companies (which should have been repaid) a Labor government would by its own admission have racked up a much bigger debt.

Cue LOL?
We might have something to show for the money though.

Cue LOL?

Harvey Norman likes this

We might have something to show for the money though.
Millions of Australians kept their homes and sanity. There was never going to be anything more to show for a scheme designed to keep people afloat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back