Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Moving from Oceania to Asia has worked wonders for Australia. We’ve made every single World Cup since 2006 although going the long way to make both Russia and Qatar having qualified for South Africa 2019 and Brazil 2014 automatically.

I honestly think Oceania should become a sub association of AFC. NZ would strengthen AFC significantly.

The way things are going for Russia don't be surprised if they join the AFC and are booted from UEFA permanently!

AFC has allowed us to have repeated, hard competitive games. It's a shame the golden generation saw only the tail end of it.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
One year at MCG cheered every French player except one. Cant remember did that player replace an Aussie at a EPL club

That was the week before Aus vs Uruguay.

I met Zidane after Les Bleus finished training at Lakeside stadium :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New Zealand are heavily disadvantaged in Oceania going down to Costa Rica 1-0 this morning

They have the same problem we had. No competitive games. Do they even bother sending a strong team for the Oceania nations cup? I remember Australia didn't bother sending a quality team usually and still won most of the time.

AFC for NZ national team would do wonders.

Wonder if FIFA will crack down on penalty intimidation soon.

Why should they? If penalty takers are allowed to stutter in their runups and try to fake out the keeper then the keeper should be able to do whatever they want.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
I was at 93, 97, 01 & 05 qualifiers. 05 was great. Party afterwards was immense. Ran into Dwight Yorke at a club in Kings Cross lol. Next day went to the Socceroos event at the park (can't recall which one).

I was at all of them except for 1993 which I watched on TV.

1997, as previously mentioned, heartbreaking. Will live in infamy forever.

2001, decent enough performance in Melbourne, but we wilted over in Montevideo.

2005, agree with you the best atmosphere of any of the many sporting events I’ve been to.

The booing of Uruguay’s anthem, the noise at the key moments (Bresciano goal, Schwarzer saves and Aloisi goal in shootout) were amazing.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Classic moment during our 3rd penalty - whilst the Peruvian goalkeeper was in goal Redmayne went over to the Peruvian goalkeepers water bottle and ripped off a list of our goaltakers preferred penalty takes that was stuck on the bottle - screwed up the list threw it over the fence as well as the water bottle - after we scored the 3rd pen the Peru goalkeeper went to find his water bottle and couldn't find it and was checking everywhere whilst getting brutally mocked by the Aussie crowd.

Redmayne wasn't only playing games on the goal line

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
They have the same problem we had. No competitive games. Do they even bother sending a strong team for the Oceania nations cup? I remember Australia didn't bother sending a quality team usually and still won most of the time.

AFC for NZ national team would do wonders.

I've been pushing for the OFC to join Asia in the final group phase and bring their half spot along.

2 best OFC teams, one in each final AFC qualifying group. 5 direct spots for Asia/OFC.

No stupid playoff with South/Central/North America.

Or the OFC could just be another Asian region. Anyway it's all irrelevant now.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Well now that Oceania gets an automatic World Cup spot why would NZL bother moving to the AFC unless forced too. Pretty much a guarantee World Cup spot every four years from now on.

I've read no news of FIFA disbanding the OFC and AFC is big enough as it is already. Most of the AFC member countries want nothing to do with any of the OFC nations they kicked up a massive stink when Australia joined in fact a lot of the west Asia countries are still not happy and want us out! In terms of financial benefits and development to the region they bring nothing!

It will be more likely of Australia joining the OFC again than for the OFC to merge in with the AFC.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I honestly think Oceania should become a sub association of AFC. NZ would strengthen AFC significantly.

The way things are going for Russia don't be surprised if they join the AFC and are booted from UEFA permanently!

AFC has allowed us to have repeated, hard competitive games. It's a shame the golden generation saw only the tail end of it.

lol no chance this will ever happen!

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Well now that Oceania gets an automatic World Cup spot why would NZL bother moving to the AFC unless forced too. Pretty much a guarantee World Cup spot every four years from now on.

I've read no news of FIFA disbanding the OFC and AFC is big enough as it is already. Most of the AFC member countries want nothing to do with any of the OFC nations they kicked up a massive stink when Australia joint in fact a lot of the west Asia countries are still not happy and want us out! In terms of financial benefits and development to the region they bring nothing!

It will be more likely of Australia joining the OFC again than for the OFC to merge in with the AFC.

Austrslia brings serious credibility to AFC. Theres no chance that we leave AFC, we are one of the most powerful nations in it! Japan & South Korea would be seriously pissed if we left and there would definitely be less WC qualifying spots for AFC.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Austrslia brings serious credibility to AFC. Theres no chance that we leave AFC, we are one of the most powerful nations in it! Japan & South Korea would be seriously pissed if we left and there would definitely be less WC qualifying spots for AFC.

From a political perspective we wield very little power compared to many of the richer nations in the AFC (especially in the middle east)

It's sucks, bur we all know corrupt FIFA was and still is

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
From a political perspective we wield very little power compared to many of the richer nations in the AFC (especially in the middle east)

It's sucks, bur we all know corrupt FIFA was and still is

The East Asian nations love us. Australia is definitely an Afc powerhouse even if the ME nations dont like it.

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
You are probably right.

That 1997 Aussie squad wasn't bad. Harry Kewell was a kid and playing for Leeds. Guys like Robbie Slater did play in England. Ironic as Graham Arnold played in that infamous 1997 2 legged play off vs Iran.

Speaking of Iran, some of their starting 11 were playing in the German league.

2001 squad was good too. Uruguay had some good players playing their trade in Spanish la liga and Italy Serie A. Got that 1-0 lead from a goal by Kevin Muscat of all people. Gutted we lost 3-0. Nearly got a goal when we were 1-0 or 2-0 down. Could of made it by away goals

That 2005 Aussie side had Kewell, Lucas Neill and Tim Cahill in their peak years. But the difference was the 2nd leg was in Australia and the home crowd rallying the Socceroos home edged us over the line.

Our 2010 squad was practically similar to 2006 minus our strikers of Mark Viduka and John Aloisi. But playing in Asia improved the Socceroos. Facing teams like Korea, Japan and some middle eastern teams made the Socceroos a better side. People bag out pim verbeeks coaching tenure. But yeah he was defensive but we finished top of the group and automatically qualified rather than get 3rd and a playoff.
Bosnich, Moore, Zelic, Schwarzer, Okon, Lazaridis, Emerton over those years. Reckon pretty much of those players would also be walk up starts now.

I agree to appoint with Pim, but I can never forgive the approach to the Germany game at the WC. The team he selected and the way we structured essentially was a giant white flag and the players played accordingly. It was gutless and a huge waste.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

That is true with most of the East Asian countries but the West Asians hate us and didn't want us in and wont hesitate to boot us out if given the chance. Not only because of the direct competition to the World Cup spots but also in terms of financial benefits and sponsors Australia can pull which isn't much.
That said I think now with Asia getting nine World Cup spots the competition side of it really doesn't matter anymore but they are still incredibly frustrated at Australia not being able to bring in enough sponsors or any financial gains and development for the region.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Bosnich, Moore, Zelic, Schwarzer, Okon, Lazaridis, Emerton over those years. Reckon pretty much of those players would also be walk up starts now.

I agree to appoint with Pim, but I can never forgive the approach to the Germany game at the WC. The team he selected and the way we structured essentially was a giant white flag and the players played accordingly. It was gutless and a huge waste.
I was upset and angry with that 4-0 loss to Germany in that 2010 game. It felt like we gave up once we were down 2-0.

Looking back at it, it was sort of expected. Germany nearly won the world cup in 2010.

But those players you mentioned.

Bosnich was an excellent keeper at Aston Villa. Yeah he was at man united and Chelsea FC after that. He was talented. Gutted as 2006 rolled around, he was done.

Craig Moore was a solid centre back. Played for rangers in Scotland. Had played in various EPL clubs. Newcastle was one of them.

Zelic, okon and Stan Lazaridis were before my time. Stan Lazairdis was in the 2006 world cup side too.

Brett Emerton was a servant at Blackburn.

I will even throw Vince Grella in as well. Not the greatest Socceroo in history. Played for a few Italian clubs. Like Emerton and Lucas Neill, played for Blackburn too

That is true with most of the East Asian countries but the West Asians hate us and didn't want us in and wont hesitate to boot us out if given the chance. Not only because of the direct competition to the World Cup spots but also in terms of financial benefits and sponsors Australia can pull which isn't much.
That said I think now with Asia getting nine World Cup spots the competition side of it really doesn't matter anymore but they are still incredibly frustrated at Australia not being able to bring in enough sponsors or any financial gains and development for the region.

The west Asian resistance is understandable (aside from the lack of financial benefits, the sheer distance and extremely weak competition) but this could have been easily solved like with divisions and pre-qualifying rounds. Anyway, the point is moot now.

I wonder who would be the most favoured to gain near-automatic qualification every campaign now there's at least eight slots - in my opinion:

Iran
Saudi Arabia
Japan
South Korea

The 'big 4'.

Australia would surely not sit too far behind them or at the least in the mix.

Then maybe Jordan, UAE, China, Vietnam, North Korea, Qatar, Thailand, Iraq etc? Looking at the teams these are sides that Australia would be heavily favoured to beat out for qualification. Eight slots is too many in my view - imagine Vietnam vs Brazil or Iraq vs Germany.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

With all due respect to the ME nations they dont need the money. They are autocracies run by royal families who spare no expense on their national teams. They need proper competition to harden them up and Australia certainly provides that to them. There also generally isnt much of a competitive sporting culture in those nations amongst kids which is something money cant change.

China is finding that out the hard way - theyve gone backwards since Xi gave football pretty much unlimited resources in an attempt to improve the game.

Australia as a whole offers plenty to AFC in the corporate world as well as on the pitch. I would say only the ME nations are not happy with the rest of AFC happy. And Saudi Arabia are the only nation in the region that are politically stronger than Australia.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The west Asian resistance is understandable (aside from the lack of financial benefits, the sheer distance and extremely weak competition) but this could have been easily solved like with divisions and pre-qualifying rounds. Anyway, the point is moot now.

I wonder who would be the most favoured to gain near-automatic qualification every campaign now there's at least eight slots - in my opinion:

Iran
Saudi Arabia
Japan
South Korea

The 'big 4'.

Australia would surely not sit too far behind them or at the least in the mix.

Then maybe Jordan, UAE, China, Vietnam, North Korea, Qatar, Thailand, Iraq etc? Looking at the teams these are sides that Australia would be heavily favoured to beat out for qualification. Eight slots is too many in my view - imagine Vietnam vs Brazil or Iraq vs Germany.

Id have us in the big 4 ahead of Saudi. Historically weve been a far bettter nation football wise than them.

Other nations are Iraq / UAE / China / Qatar / Oman who would be competitive for a soot.

Jordan / Thailand / Vietnam are a step down and not a realistic chance of qualifying even with 8 nations going to 2026.

I would say that AFC teams qualifying wont change much from 2026 onwards. You would have a battle between Iraq / UAE / China / Qatar / Oman battling it out for the bottom 3 spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back