Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

If you include all social media formats the top 4 are;

1. Collingwood
2. Essendon
3. Richmond
4. Hawthorn
5. West coast
6. Carlton
7. Adelaide
8. Sydney

Collingwood is the biggest, 2nd is Essendon and Richmond are 3rd

Incorrect, I have collated them all for you and pies are first, then Richmond, then Ess

RICH

Insta-284
FB - 288.5
TikTok -111.3
Twitter - 107.6
YouTube - 13.3
= 804,700

ESS

Insta - 227
FB – 344.7
TikTok – 45.9
Twitter – 138.6
YouTube – 21.3
= 777,500

Incorrect, I have collated them all for you and pies are first, then Richmond, then Ess

RICH

Insta-284
FB - 288.5
TikTok -111.3
Twitter - 107.6
YouTube - 13.3
= 804,700

ESS

Insta - 227
FB – 344.7
TikTok – 45.9
Twitter – 138.6
YouTube – 21.3
= 777,500
Astute mate helping you out not facebook likes followers your underselling Richmond here my friend. Essendon 341,000 Richmond 298,000. BTW go Blues for tommorow night 😉👍

Astute mate helping you out not facebook likes followers your underselling Richmond here my friend. Essendon 341,000 Richmond 298,000. BTW go Blues for tommorow night 😉👍

Correct, Followers; 298,749

My word it's a big game. Cya at the G, blues defence its unbelievable how many players are out injured, what is it 5 plus Cerra and we have Dusty out.
Your midfield is your greatest strength plus your forward line, we need to be on our game to win.

Last edited:
If you include all social media formats the top 4 are;

1. Collingwood
2. Essendon
3. Richmond
4. Hawthorn
5. West coast
6. Carlton
7. Adelaide
8. Sydney

Collingwood is the biggest, 2nd is Essendon and Richmond are 3rd
Incorrect social media (face,twitter, yout, inta) Carlton have jumped past Hawthorn and few thousand behind West Coast and growing. It's only one metric though and if you granulize the data the Blues are second.

First and second with Pies on internet traffic clicks, digital consumption, website hits (unique) Youtube search, Google search etc..
West Coast are the biggest based on population but fall behind the Pies, Blues and Bombers on most metrics.

Let’s all agree that Collingwood is the biggest. Pies have been involved in the 3 biggest crowds this year. They are the biggest club on social Media, 1st in attendance’s and are the biggest Victorian club according to Roy Morgan 777,000 fans. 2nd is Essendon with 653,000. Richmond have 563,000 fans in Australia 🇦🇺
You still banging on about Roy Morgan 🤣

I reckon we went above you in the mid to late 1990's when the kids who started barracking for the Bombers after 84/85 premierships became adults and started going to the footy.

You will recall BigFooty in the old days when you and I used to get right into each other about this because there was so little difference between the two clubs. Most surveys show little difference between the two clubs. Some survey's had the Bombers in front in the late 1990's early 2000's

I would acknowledge that Collingwood is number one again and has established that position again from the mid 2000's onwards. I'm happy to concede that. But there is not much difference between the two. The Bombers are not performing obviously.

Coll 19,921
Ess 19,342

I recall many a great battle with you discussing who was bigger out of the Pies and Bombers. I also recall many a battle with you over which Premiership team deserved be ranked 1 in history. Today we have united for a common cause as I agree it is Pies at the moment at number one and the Bombers not far behind. Richmond won 3 flags in 4 years and reached a ceiling. They don't come close to the Pies, Bombers and Blues even when dominating the playing field.

I think you need to go on the attendances thread where like-minded people of all supported clubs post and give honest views on crowd guestimates. Here is the link>Play Nice - 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

You will see no one thinks that will occur on a Thurs, neither do I and ill be there. No one is getting 85K on a Thurs night.
If it was Friday or the weekend I'd say 75-80K but Thurs I'm thinking 65-70K that's just a guess, hard to gauge with work and school on Friday. Also, regional supporters and interstate supporters have no chance to attend.

If Collingwood played Carlton tomorrow night there would be 80,000 plus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you believe that then you believe that pigs can fly also lmao.

No one is getting 80K on a Thurs night for a home and away game, a final series sure.

Collingwood vs Carlton drew 80,000 plus in the death slot on a Sunday afternoon. They would walk over 80,000

Collingwood vs CarltoN drew 80,000 plus in the death slot on a Sunday afternoon. They would walk over 80,000

3.20pm lol game done by 6pm. Thurs night I got home at midnight last week. People work and school the next day. Thurs nights sux!
Tradies up at 5am. Office workers etc etc Regional areas to far and interstate members forget about it.

AFL stuffed this, no games scheduled for the G on Sat and Sun.

3.20pm lol game done by 6pm. Thurs night I got home at midnight last week. People work and school the next day. Thurs nights sux!
Tradies up at 5am. Office workers etc etc Regional areas to far and interstate members forget about it.

AFL stuffed this, no games scheduled for the G on Sat and Sun.

See us Collingwood supporters don't care about that. Wouldn't even enter our minds. We would just GO.

See us Collingwood supporters don't care about that. Wouldn't even enter our minds. We would just GO.

Lol you are funny, it wouldn't enter your minds in the first place because you don't have any games scheduled on THURSDAY nights in Melbourne
Leaving it there, now we are entering pettiness stages. As i said write all this on the crowd's thread, I provided you with the link because it's a mixture of club supporters giving their honest views on attendances and not one-sided views, if you know what I mean ;)

Enjoy your night...

We all know Richmond have the most fickle fan base in the competition.

Collingwood and Essendon are the most loyal fan base.

Richmond peaked at 105,000 members. Collingwood win a premiership the pies will get 120,000 members no problem

The OP was about the supporter base sizes, which changes very slowly. Membership and crowds go up when a team is winning. Just like Hawthorns membership and crowds were higher than some members of the 'Big 4', during our threepeat, it did not mean our supporter base was bigger, just that we were more engaged. Pies have easily the biggest supporter base of the Vic clubs. Richmond are enjoying the bandwagon effect, but whether this will dramatically increase the size of their supporter base remains to be seen.
So crowds and memberships is not a good measure of supporter bases sizes, but rather how engaged they are.
The only two clubs whose supporter bases have change dramatically he last 50 - 60 years is Hawks up and Dees down. Every other club has stayed where they were in the pecking order.

Hang on you say the supporter bases change very slowly yet you also say we have a heap bandwagon members. So which is it? Are you saying our supporters are the most diehard then cause they bought heaps of memberships?

We all know Richmond have the most fickle fan base in the competition.

Collingwood and Essendon are the most loyal fan base.

Richmond peaked at 105,000 members. Collingwood win a premiership the pies will get 120,000 members no problem

You won in 2010 and didn’t even get close to that. Did you even break 80k? No way you broke 85k. Pies supporters must hate that we broke the 100k record first lol. But still insist they are the biggest. It’s actually a joke when you think about it.

Hang on you say the supporter bases change very slowly yet you also say we have a heap bandwagon members. So which is it? Are you saying our supporters are the most diehard then cause they bought heaps of memberships?
Perhaps read my post again.
I am saying that the supporter base is those who nominally support a certain team, including passive supporters. Memberships and crowds increase when those people start to actively support their team. For example in 2017, Richmond scarves started appearing on people who I never knew had a team. Parents at school, etc who said ‘my dad followed Richmond’. Hey presto next season the kids are wearing Richmond jumpers and they are buying memberships. Now they are actively involved compared to possible being embarrassed to be a Tiger fan the previous 10 - 20 years. The Tiger fans who remained involved in the 90s and early 2000s are diehard. The 40k who joined in 2017 - 19 are obviously not. Those 40k may well become diehards, but some will jump off the bandwagon when the premiership window closes.
North Melbourne would have the most diehard supporter base. But it is small and there are not enough passive fans to jump on the bandwagon. Even if they won 3/4 flags, they still could not get to 80k. Same with Bulldogs. Already maxed out, only a small bump even after 2016.
I work in a job where I meet a lot of people, all over Melbourne. I have also been involved in junior footy and Auskick across Melbourne. Combining this, with other metrics mentioned, and giving a score out of 100 using the biggest supporter base as 100, this is my list
Collingwood 100
Essendon 95
Carlton 90
Richmond 85
Hawks 70
Cats 60 (adding in Geelong)
Dees 55
Saints 55
North 40
Dogs 38
If you went back 50 years this list would be the same, except for swapping Dees and Hawks. It takes 50 years of rediculous success, for extreme failure to change the underlying support base significantly. People in Melbourne simply don’t change teams easily, and most immigration the since the 1980s has been from China and India with very little interest in footy so this is why the number don’t change much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back