Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Tasmania bid doesn't get up, then the AFL and Tasmanian government should move to a plan where each of the 9 Melbourne-based teams sells one home game each to Tassie for $1m. The away team for each of these nine games would be different, so that every team plays in Tassie every year.

For the Melbourne clubs with the MCG as their home ground, this game can replace the one home game each they're forced to play at Marvel each year, with Marvel getting extra home games from North playing three extra home games in Melbourne.

This would be much better than Fat Ed's North Melbourne proposal.

If the Tasmania bid doesn't get up, then the AFL and Tasmanian government should move to a plan where each of the 9 Melbourne-based teams sells one home game each to Tassie for $1m. The away team for each of these nine games would be different, so that every team plays in Tassie every year.

For the Melbourne clubs with the MCG as their home ground, this game can replace the one home game each they're forced to play at Marvel each year, with Marvel getting extra home games from North playing three extra home games in Melbourne.

Was about to post something similar. This is the best solution if no 19th team. Each Vic team plays in Hobart one year, Launceston the next. No need for a new super stadium. Just increase each to 22k - 24k. Eddie’s proposal is not fully thought through and has Melbourne clubs selling a home game to Kangaroos anyway.
If Tassie can’t have their own team, then the last thing they would want is 11 Kangaroos games. The next best thing is the Vic clubs playing there every year, hosting non Vic clubs.

Last edited:
I’ve heard a lot about this fish and chip place.
Is it any good?
It will fail. North playing 4 games in Tassie is failing now. 11 games in Tassie will be a balls out disaster
Tasmanians in general will NOT support any framing of North playing games in Tassie.
I can only speak for myself, but if Tassie gets its own team I'd buy a membership in a flash.

If North were parading as Tasmania however I'd rather buy a Collingwood membership.

No, dont give them anything. Let the AFL fade away in this state

So if that was to go ahead, the club in question would never play in Sydney, Adelaide, Perth or Brisbane again? That's another level of compromising the fixture. What happens if the team becomes a top 4 team and the other members of the top 6 are all clubs from NSW, WA, Qld or SA? They play none of them twice?

So if that was to go ahead, the club in question would never play in Sydney, Adelaide, Perth or Brisbane again? That's another level of compromising the fixture. What happens if the team becomes a top 4 team and the other members of the top 6 are all clubs from NSW, WA, Qld or SA? They play none of them twice?

That's a really good point. And they'd have all their clashes with the top teams at their home ground as well.

Tbh, if this hair-brained scheme got up, would the 11 games last long? Fitzroy were promised six Melbourne games post-merger, but that's dwindled (only four this year). The 11 (or 9, as that's the actual limit on Victorian teams) would dwindle eventually.

That's a really good point. And they'd have all their clashes with the top teams at their home ground as well.

Tbh, if this hair-brained scheme got up, would the 11 games last long? Fitzroy were promised six Melbourne games post-merger, but that's dwindled (only four this year). The 11 (or 9, as that's the actual limit on Victorian teams) would dwindle eventually.
I didnt even realise the last point you've made there. For them to get 11 away games in Melbourne, they've got to have 2 of the Victorian teams play them at home twice in the same year (or 3 if we take them literally at Melbourne and they don't play Geelong in Geelong)

I didnt even realise the last point you've made there. For them to get 11 away games in Melbourne, they've got to have 2 of the Victorian teams play them at home twice in the same year (or 3 if we take them literally at Melbourne and they don't play Geelong in Geelong)
I've got to the point where I see this relocation as North's only real way to stay (or regain) relevance. The problem is Tassie won't embrace a transplanted club. They want their own identity. If it was an amalgamated club there would be no need to 22 home games. Just give Kangas members priority access to away games. It's absurd to think other clubs are gifting them home games. I don't mind the Tassie Roos idea but it's not going to be accepted. I think the Tassie thing will get up in the end, and North will stay in a bit of a mess for a few years yet.

Atm they’re debt free, thanx to Tassie, why do they need relocating.
They don’t but the AFL seem to think they do for some reason. Perhaps they think North are screwed without the Tassie money. So get them to sell four games elsewhere. I’d get the Giants playing all their home games in Sydney and give North four games a year in Canberra.

If things are still going bad then make North a Canberra relocation offer. If they accept, they become the Canberra Kangaroos. If they don’t, they stay and struggle and Canberra get licence 20. Are they worried North will fold? How does that even work? If North goes bankrupt?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don’t but the AFL seem to think they do for some reason. Perhaps they think North are screwed without the Tassie money. So get them to sell four games elsewhere. I’d get the Giants playing all their home games in Sydney and give North four games a year in Canberra.

If things are still going bad then make North a Canberra relocation offer. If they accept, they become the Canberra Kangaroos. If they don’t, they stay and struggle and Canberra get licence 20. Are they worried North will fold? How does that even work? If North goes bankrupt?
The precedent is there if a club goes bankrupt, Fitzroy. As for North let them stand on their own two feet and decide what’s best for them. There’s a lot of presumptions about norths future. Imo it’s a totally seperate issue to Tassie.

Demetriou stuffed the offer for north to go to the gold coast by being his usual slimey self, now we have 3 issues we wouldn't otherwise have in gc, gws and north all struggling for crowds and relevance. At the time if they simply offered north to retain 3 home games permanently in Melbourne for their fans, it would have been more attractive. Then there fans would have been getting 1/3 rd of games still in Melbourne, but there would be 9 games per year in QLD for that market and new gold coast fans.

I honestly think that proposal is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

I'm dumbfounded.

How could anybody think that anyone in Tasmania would want that model?

Completely compromises the fixture as well.
It would be stupid ideas like McGuire's that turn the Club presidents off. Why would you vote to bring this absolute circus into the league?!

WTF is this s**t. Terrible idea and sadly it sounds like Tassie isn’t happening.

There's no way this is being spoken about, nor would it be gaining momentum with power brokers. It's something you and Hutchy have cooked up over a couple of glasses of wine at dinner.

Demetriou stuffed the offer for north to go to the gold coast by being his usual slimey self, now we have 3 issues we wouldn't otherwise have in gc, gws and north all struggling for crowds and relevance. At the time if they simply offered north to retain 3 home games permanently in Melbourne for their fans, it would have been more attractive. Then there fans would have been getting 1/3 rd of games still in Melbourne, but there would be 9 games per year in QLD for that market and new gold coast fans.
It’s not just North. The expansion from a suburban state league to a national comp has been deplorable. Only 2 WA sides, destroying what was one of the best rivalries in the country in Port v Norwood, Tassie as a cash cow, to many suburban Melbourne clubs, a half assed expansion into Sydney for the first decade, selling a license in Queensland to a complete crook. It was horrendously done.

It just strikes me as crazy that leagues around the world where the participants are run as for profit businesses can recognise the value in having clubs in smaller markets and revenue sharing with them, whereas the AFL, where clubs are purportedly not for profit entities, regularly cites financial reasons as the driver for why they can't do the same.

It just strikes me as crazy that leagues around the world where the participants are run as for profit businesses can recognise the value in having clubs in smaller markets and revenue sharing with them, whereas the AFL, where clubs are purportedly not for profit entities, regularly cites financial reasons as the driver for why they can't do the same.
They see that. It’s that as shown in an earlier post north basically wouldn’t have made a profit over the last decade without the Tassie money so your basically replacing a profitable club with another profitable new club turning the older club into a debt problem. Thus your not really adding anything, your really just possibly adding a club that doesn’t profit.

So this is why they’d prefer the status quo having Tassie cover the bills.

0460685D-0AC0-4E6B-8628-6D29696E7F5B.jpeg

Last edited:
It should've been Roos to Gold Coast (relocations work better in new markets, not traditional footy heartland), Bulldogs to Western Sydney (WSB), Tassie as team 17 sometime this decade, and then eventually Canberra as team 18, followed by a push for an NT team as team 19 when Darwin hits 250k, and maybe a WA3 team. 18-20 teams, a team in every state and territory. Now it'll blow out to 21 teams if there are no relocations or folding if we eventually want teams in Tassie, ACT, and NT.

Edit: I say get the Tassie deal done, bring in team 19, wait a few years and go Canberra team 20. See how the Roos go to determine if they will survive, fold, or merge, and then endgame NT in the distant future, so a max of 20-21 teams. WA/SA/NSW/QLD markets should be fine with two teams each. Even if growth is huge, at least fewer clubs, there will make those clubs huge.

They see that. It’s that as shown in an earlier post north basically wouldn’t have made a profit over the last decade without the Tassie money so your basically replacing a profitable club with another profitable new club turning the older club into a debt problem. Thus your not really adding anything, your really just possibly adding a club that doesn’t profit.

So this is why they’d prefer the status quo having Tassie cover the bills.

View attachment 1425186

Over the time period you are talking about north received $22 mill less than st kilda in afl distributions.

North received $5 mill less than the western bulldogs (despite a premiership).

North also received $64 mill less than the Gold Coast suns.

North received $24 mill less than the lions

North received $71 mill less than the giants.

We don’t need tassie. The afl can just increase our funding by $2 mill per annum, still costing less than a bunch of other clubs.

Simples

Over the time period you are talking about north received $22 mill less than st kilda in afl distributions.

North received $5 mill less than the western bulldogs (despite a premiership).

North also received $64 mill less than the Gold Coast suns.

North received $24 mill less than the lions

North received $71 mill less than the giants.

We don’t need tassie. The afl can just increase our funding by $2 mill per annum, still costing less than a bunch of other clubs.

Simples
You say North received $22m less in distributions than St Kilda in the last ten years? They've received far more than that amount from the Tasmanian government in that time.

Tasmania is the reason you are not in debt. At least be grateful for our state keeping your club afloat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back