Will Collingwood try to move Grundy on with that contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tis great that Cox and Cameron have played a few good games...but people need to settle down.

When they have come up against decent rucks they have been found wanting

Witts, Nankervis, Darcy all dominated the ruck

Carlton had a kid (TDK) and SOS
Hawthorn had a kid (Reeves)
Dogs had no rucks
Dees had a lame Gawn

Grundy #1 ruck with Cameron Forward/Ruck a good combo

Cox is also old...

I might be over rating him but I think Cameron is very good. A genuine first ruck.
You’re not overrating him, he is that good.

People forget he hasn’t even made it to 50 AFL games and finally getting a crack at first ruck at 26. Right time for him to hit his straps now and would be a huge recruit.

It was vs Essendon that Grundy went down and you can see Cameron’s exponential growth from GCS onwards as our first ruck. Since GCS game, form has been amongst the top 10 ruckmen in the competition IMO.

10796D31-C9C3-40B1-A010-2CA21FB0339E.jpeg

Looking at Darcy Cameron’s output since Grundy has gone down. The fact he hasn’t cracked 50 AFL games, and is still 26, I’d be more than comfortable moving forward with him as Collingwood’s #1 ruckman, if a team came to Collingwood and made a very appealing offer for Brodie Grundy. Whether that does happen though is another story.

Mason Cox is a good depth/back up player to have at AFL level, nothing more. Pies would still need a ‘Darcy Cameron’ to replace Darcy Cameron as the back up/2nd ruck who can play forward/ruck - not too many of those around atm.

Looking at Darcy Cameron’s output since Grundy has gone down. The fact he hasn’t cracked 50 AFL games, and is still 26, I’d be more than comfortable moving forward with him as Collingwood’s #1 ruckman, if a team came to Collingwood and made a very appealing offer for Brodie Grundy. Whether that does happen though is another story.

Mason Cox is a good depth/back up player to have at AFL level, nothing more. Pies would still need a ‘Darcy Cameron’ to replace Darcy Cameron as the back up/2nd ruck who can play forward/ruck - not too many of those around atm.

The offer would have to involve the Pies paying some of his salary so not sure how appealling it could be.

The offer would have to involve the Pies paying some of his salary so not sure how appealling it could be.
Then that wouldn't be an appealing offer to Collingwood.

Collingwood don’t need to get rid of him, there’s no reason to have to accept paying part of his salary, unless it’s compensated through a more generous offer via draft picks.

Then that wouldn't be an appealing offer to Collingwood.

Collingwood don’t need to get rid of him, there’s no reason to have to accept paying part of his salary, unless it’s compensated through a more generous offer via draft picks.

Yeah, I don't see how it could happen. The Pies have to reap what they sow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree I should have summarised that link for you.

We are above you on the ladder as usual. Enjoy your rucks!
That shouldnt be something to brag about. We are on the same amount of premiership points at two completely different stages of our premiership clocks lol

That shouldnt be something to brag about. We are on the same amount of premiership points at two completely different stages of our premiership clocks lol

Yes and you have a ruckman on a million bucks a year, while the other ruckman is doing quite well. And is out of contract. And you also got rid of one of the best rucks in the competition so you could keep your million buck a year ruck.

Hence this thread.

I love when sooks sook. Grundy is a gun but he should go to Port when Boak and Gray retire so Collingwood don’t have that contract hanging over them on top of giving Treloar money

Yes and you have a ruckman on a million bucks a year, while the other ruckman is doing quite well. And is out of contract. And you also got rid of one of the best rucks in the competition so you could keep your million buck a year ruck.

Hence this thread.

I’m confused why it’s such a big issue when a Collingwood player is on a million dollars. It’s not that uncommon for the club’s top players to be on huge pay packets.

You guys paid 3 first rounders for a 28 year old forward who is on a 5 year deal on $900,000 a year. 1 goal and 10 possessions then 2 goals and 10 possessions in his two finals for the Cats, which you lost.

How has the Paddy Dangerfield trade worked out for you?

Great return on investment there too.

While Grundy isn’t at 2018/2019 levels, his current numbers aren’t that bad.

Prior to the game he was injured, he was the number 1 ruckman for clearances and top 2 for inside 50s.

His last qtr (7 disposals, 3 clearances, 11 hitouts) against St Kilda where he destroyed Marshall (who was probably on top for the 1st 3 qtrs), went a long way to winning us that game. That wasn’t the only one either.

He needs to get his marking back up. But will always be 1st ruck.
Cox plays a couple of good games a season. Cameron is a ruckman, but not at Grundy level. Our clearances are down since he has been injured.

Maybe we might see rather than Grundy playing ruck 80% of the game, it’s more 60/40 to keep him fresh.

You’re not overrating him, he is that good.

People forget he hasn’t even made it to 50 AFL games and finally getting a crack at first ruck at 26. Right time for him to hit his straps now and would be a huge recruit.

It was vs Essendon that Grundy went down and you can see Cameron’s exponential growth from GCS onwards as our first ruck. Since GCS game, form has been amongst the top 10 ruckmen in the competition IMO.

View attachment 1425009

Unsurprising though that he has more hit outs and disposals from round 7 onwards when he's playing in the ruck rather than up forward? The same reason it's unsurprising he has kicked fewer goals in that time.

In saying that he has played well (Cox as well), so it's going to be interesting to see what you do when Grundy returns. Unfortunately, it seems all three play better when afforded more time in the ruck, and they can't all do that at the same time.

Another thing worth noting is that, yes, Cameron is 26 so may have some upside. But he's 27 in less than a month and Grundy has just turned 28, so they're very similar in age. With one you're talking about upside, with the other you're talking about known A grade performance. At the same Age Grundy was already a 2 X All Australian, 2 X BnF winner, 1 x Herald Sun Player of the year. I can't see how Grundy doesn't come back and play as your number one ruck when fit.

Clubs are more likely to come hard at Cameron given his form this year.

Who the hell would want to take on Grundy’s contract ?!

It might sound insane but, if it's a salary dump ala Treloar, I could see a few teams (including ours) having a chat.

• If Ryder retires then a Grundy/Marshall combo at the Saints for 4-5 years could be the difference.
  • He'd be a clear upgrade on OMac for the Lions.
  • He could be huge for Carlton or Geelong in their push for a flag.
  • I like the way the Dogs have used English this year but if they would prefer to play him as a forward/ruck then Grundy feeding their midfield would be bonkers...
  • Port Adelaide seem to be all over the place in the ruck at the moment so they would probably be the front runner if Brodie has any desire to return to Adelaide.

Unsurprising though that he has more hit outs and disposals from round 7 onwards when he's playing in the ruck rather than up forward? The same reason it's unsurprising he has kicked fewer goals in that time.

In saying that he has played well (Cox as well), so it's going to be interesting to see what you do when Grundy returns. Unfortunately, it seems all three play better when afforded more time in the ruck, and they can't all do that at the same time.

Another thing worth noting is that, yes, Cameron is 26 so may have some upside. But he's 27 in less than a month and Grundy has just turned 28, so they're very similar in age. With one you're talking about upside, with the other you're talking about known A grade performance. At the same Age Grundy was already a 2 X All Australian, 2 X BnF winner, 1 x Herald Sun Player of the year. I can't see how Grundy doesn't come back and play as your number one ruck when fit.
Maybe also check out the marks and tackle column. His numbers are amongst the best in that period of time of any ruckman in the league. That is unsurprising?

He has delivered these performances playing as the team’s first ruck for the first time in his career. He has played less than 50 games, so the ceiling is higher with more AFL games under his belt.

Realistically, Grundy comes back as first ruck, and Cameron goes back to his forward/ruck role where he has been more than serviceable for Collingwood.

In saying that, if we got an appealing offer, I’d be more than happy with Darcy Cameron as Collingwood’s first ruck moving forward despite the similar age to Grundy because it’s a great output for what would be a fraction of the cap space. I wouldn’t be disappointed if Grundy is our first ruck either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back