Would a Richmond Premiership in 2022 make the team one of the best of all time?

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
And if it was so easy then why did no one else do it. Perhaps we could use the Maths of 2 in 32 years. Or perhaps we could use the fact of Tigers not having beaten Pies in a final for 42 years or even the stat of Pies having a superior GF Head to Head against the Tigers. What makes the 4 better is that 3 in a row were against Richmond. Amazing.
Back in a time when a team finished last winning the wooden spoon and premiership in the same year. Mickey Mouse.
Although if my team won 13 of their 15 flags before 1960 I’d be screaming from the rooftops how good the competition was back then too.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes. If tigers win it this year against a very good melb side than it changes things.

So you don't rate hawks 3 peat, they beat all interstate sides> swans, eagles, freo
We beat the cats in the 2020 GF, and crows/gws in the other 2.

If the tigers happen to win it this year whether it's against a Melbourne team or an interstate team, it'll still be 4 flags in 6 years and alleviate Richmond to one of the all-time great sides.

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yeap getting tired of this. No one brings up Hawks of 2015 when they actually lost a QF then hosted.
It's not like the Crows were a dominant force that year like Bombers 00 or cats 07/08. Heck they only finished 2 points ahead of 2nd & 3rd.
Funny thing was Richmond got 3rd with 15 wins.

They lost at least 2-3 close games in that 2017 season.

Dockers at the MCG was one and that was only because David Mundy scored the winning goal with a set shot.

I think Richmond lost to the swans narrowly too.

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
Funny thing was Richmond got 3rd with 15 wins.

They lost at least 2-3 close games in that 2017 season.

Dockers at the MCG was one and that was only because David Mundy scored the winning goal with a set shot.

I think Richmond lost to the swans narrowly too.
Yeah that Mundy kick was insane. Swans & Giants were the other chokes during that run of close losses. Cats down at the cattery by 10 points was the other close loss towards the end of season.
As I said Crows were not a dominant force. 2017 was a very close matched H&A season. Finals different story.

Yeah that Mundy kick was insane. Swans & Giants were the other chokes during that run of close losses. Cats down at the cattery by 10 points was the other close loss towards the end of season.
As I said Crows were not a dominant force. 2017 was a very close matched H&A season. Finals different story.
Cats game ,umps went in dry against us.

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
Nope although you did get a few handy father sons for nothing, what pick did Gary Ablett jnr cost again?
Not the same at all. We developed all those players. Which is a testament to the club. Hawkins was the only one touted as a top pick and he only came good in the 2011 GF. They weren't ready made like Lynch.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Not the same at all. We developed all those players. Which is a testament to the club. Hawkins was the only one touted as a top pick and he only came good in the 2011 GF. They weren't ready made like Lynch.
Are Richmond the only team in the comp with access to FA? They really need to even up the comp so the other 17 teams also play under the same rules.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Well done for "developing" Dangerfield, Cameron, Smith, Higgins, Dahlhaus etc

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Well done for "developing" Dangerfield, Cameron, Smith, Higgins, Dahlhaus etc
Totally agree regarding this. I was talking about the 07-11 side. In the unlikely scenario we win a flag with our current side we would have 100% benefitted the most out of FA.

Last edited:

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Are Richmond the only team in the comp with access to FA? They really need to even up the comp so the other 17 teams also play under the same rules.
Definitely not. Hawthorn added an FA every year from 2013-15. Lake, Mcevoy, Frawley. Thats fine and like Richmond completely in their rights to do that. It definitely helps keep you one step ahead. Teams prior to its implementation didn't have that benefit though.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Definitely not. Hawthorn added an FA every year from 2013-15. Lake, Mcevoy, Frawley. Thats fine and like Richmond completely in their rights to do that. It definitely helps keep you one step ahead. Teams prior to its implementation didn't have that benefit though.
They had other benefits like picking up father sons without having to match high bids.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Other than Hawkins, none were touted that highly and Hawkins was mediocre for most of that 07-11 run.
Hawkins would have gone top 5 and Ablett definitely higher than pick 45 or whatever he cost you. I’d also say cats have done ok with FA, Dangerfield, Cameron, smith. Just because you haven’t won a flag with them doesn’t mean you haven’t benefited.

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hawkins would have gone top 5 and Ablett definitely higher than pick 45 or whatever he cost you. I’d also say cats have done ok with FA, Dangerfield, Cameron, smith. Just because you haven’t won a flag with them doesn’t mean you haven’t benefited.
Hawkins defs top 5. Ablett wasn't touted above pick 30 and was average until 2007. Totally agree with us as a club benefiting from FA. I'm talking specifically about the 07-11 side not having the same benefit.

Back in a time when a team finished last winning the wooden spoon and premiership in the same year. Mickey Mouse.
Although if my team won 13 of their 15 flags before 1960 I’d be screaming from the rooftops how good the competition was back then too.
It was actually a decade after Fitzroy did that and there were 3 times the amount of teams when Collingwood 4-peated.

Lake and McEvoy were trades. Frawley was the only free agent Hawthorn added during that period.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
And if it was so easy then why did no one else do it. Perhaps we could use the Maths of 2 in 32 years. Or perhaps we could use the fact of Tigers not having beaten Pies in a final for 42 years or even the stat of Pies having a superior GF Head to Head against the Tigers. What makes the 4 better is that 3 in a row were against Richmond. Amazing.
You must have great memories of that time. Can I ask which of the four in a row is your absolute favourite? And how do the six flags in 92 years since the four-peat compare?

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
You must have great memories of that time. Can I ask which of the four in a row is your absolute favourite? And how do the six flags in 92 years since the four-peat compare?

Gotta feel bad for pies supporters, their club is a dump. Only won 2 flags in 60 years which is St Kilda standard yet they delude themselves thinking that they are a successful club. Let the poor things have their high school level 4peat they haven’t got much else going for them.

So sad that you show such absolute disrespect for your club greats like Jack Dyer and Skinny Titus. You should be ashamed.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Most stupid debate in football.

If Richmond were to win the flag this year, there's probably less than 50% that played in the others.

Even with back to back flags, the personnel is usually vastly different from year to year.
Assuming it was Dusty in the team last night rather than Clarke, that'd be 19 out of 22 who are already premiership players for the Tiges that are in our current best team. The other three are Tarrant, Ralph-Smith and Gibcus. So saying "less than 50%" is pretty wide of the base.

Back