Would a Richmond Premiership in 2022 make the team one of the best of all time?

You must have great memories of that time. Can I ask which of the four in a row is your absolute favourite? And how do the six flags in 92 years since the four-peat compare?

I understand your insane jealousy of Collingwood
We lead you Head to Head 120-92
We lead you 4-2 in Grand Finals against each other
You haven’t beaten us in a final for 40 years
We own every crowd record you long for
Last time we played in a final you were humiliated by a bloke who learnt footy 5 years earlier

I know it hurts badly

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes it is since a vic team won it despite the disadvantages. If the lions won it would be a different story as it was played over there. Also since the premiers from the year before won it, it is actually the most likely and fitting result. Not sure what people have an issue with, if your team won it you wouldn’t be saying it isn’t. Also 2021 had some COVID hiccups along the way, nobody is discrediting the Dees one even though the dogs couldn’t train in the week leading up to the GF from COVID protocols. That is as compromised as you can get.
So if the lions win a flag at the Gabba it’s not a hard earn flag.
But if the tigers win a flag at their home ground it’s legit???

Gotta feel bad for pies supporters, their club is a dump. Only won 2 flags in 60 years which is St Kilda standard yet they delude themselves thinking that they are a successful club. Let the poor things have their high school level 4peat they haven’t got much else going for them.

Time to change the name of the Jack Dyer medal. No wonder Tigers fans don’t turn uo to games when they have such disrespect for their history

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Assuming it was Dusty in the team last night rather than Clarke, that'd be 19 out of 22 who are already premiership players for the Tiges that are in our current best team. The other three are Tarrant, Ralph-Smith and Gibcus. So saying "less than 50%" is pretty wide of the base.
So it's not the same team then. Debate over.

But even so, is the argument that the team won that the 2020 flag and this one (hypothetically) is the best team ever???

For real?

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Most stupid debate in football.

If Richmond were to win the flag this year, there's probably less than 50% that played in the others.

Even with back to back flags, the personnel is usually vastly different from year to year.
If Cotchin, Dusty, Jack, Grimes, Nank, Rioli, Broad, Vlastuin, Lambert and Castagna were to play in a premiership this year it would be the fourth they all played in. Graham would have played in all four except for a dislocated shoulder in the 2019 PF. McIntosh played in the first and third (and fourth?) but was only named as an emergency in 2019.

There’s your 50%.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Last time we played in a final you were humiliated by a bloke who learnt footy 5 years earlier

I know it hurts badly
I respect the history of my and every club. Thankfully though I’m living in a notable period in the history of the Richmond Football Club, having been alive through two Tiger dynasties.

You can have your crowd figures, you could even have more members (which you don’t), your one finals win against us in 40+ years (the much famed Preliminaryship) and your 4 GF wins against us (finishing in this decade… just last century), and I wouldn’t really care.

I respect the history of my and every club. Thankfully though I’m living in a notable period in the history of the Richmond Football Club, having been alive through two Tiger dynasties.

You can have your crowd figures, you could even have more members (which you don’t), your one finals win against us in 40+ years (the much famed Preliminaryship) and your 4 GF wins against us (finishing in this decade… just last century), and I wouldn’t really care.

But you just can’t get the job done against Collingwood and that hurts

Oh, do you remember Jack and Skinny playing? Can I buy you a beer some time and have you regale me with stories of their greatness. Much appreciated.

Will hold you to that. Always up for a beer. Have met both many times, actually have both their autographs. My Grandfather was great mates with Skinny. Grew up with him in Castlemaine. Played a lot of footy against each other at the higher level. Skinny was at my grand dads funeral. Look forward to that beer later in the year at the G

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If Cotchin, Dusty, Jack, Grimes, Nank, Rioli, Broad, Vlastuin, Lambert and Castagna were to play in a premiership this year it would be the fourth they all played in. Graham would have played in all four except for a dislocated shoulder in the 2019 PF. McIntosh played in the first and third (and fourth?) but was only named as an emergency in 2019.

There’s your 50%.
So it's not the same team then.

Thank you.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
So it's not the same team then. Debate over.

But even so, is the argument that the team won that the 2020 flag and this one (hypothetically) is the best team ever???

For real?
Fun yet little known fact - there has never been a premiership team that has EVER played altogether again.

And I don't just mean play in another premiership together, I mean play in any single match together. Ever.

With that in mind, 19 out of 22 is a pretty high overlap.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Fun yet little known fact - there has never been a premiership team that has EVER played altogether again.

And I don't just mean play in another premiership together, I mean play in any single match together. Ever.

With that in mind, 19 out of 22 is a pretty high overlap.
So this debate is nonsensical, as I said.

Thank you.

SdKfz 181

Premiership Player
Jun 5, 2009
Blairgowrie
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rovers | Napoli | Victory
Most stupid debate in football.

If Richmond were to win the flag this year, there's probably less than 50% that played in the others.

Even with back to back flags, the personnel is usually vastly different from year to year.
We have 14 players on our list currently who played in the 2017 Premiership team. They all would be considered best 22.

No, its not the same team, but bloody hell its fairly close to it.. also, there alot of players in this Richmond side who are three time and dual premiership players.

I'm not sure you really understand the term, dynasty.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh Ok. Interesting.

So how many premiership medallions do they hand out on GF day?
Don’t be an idiot, we both know the answer to that.

Maybe pay attention to speeches and interviews, and see who gets thanked and talked about.

I support Richmond. That doesn’t mean my team is just the 22 players who went out the field last night.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I know it hurts badly

Stop with your ludicrous assertions. In what universe would a Richmond supporter be jealous of the colliewobbles. I'm fair dinkum.
In the last 54 years, Richmond has won 8 flags only one team has won more, the Hawks with 12. I have just witnessed a dynasty 3 flags in 4 years and you well the term colliwobbles says it all.

The last time we played in a GF we *en humiliated you guys, I still like to watch it now and then, you know it's in colour.
What GF do you watch against Richmond that makes you so happy, the 1920's bahahahaha!!!

Don't worry about the PF 2018, you should be asking yourself about the most important game of the year only a week later where you once again showed your true colours, the one and only COLLIEWOBBLES. How on earth did you lose to an interstate side after being 5 goals up :drunk:

Yes, we learnt from that loss and then went back2back, don't you just love it.

Last edited:

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Will hold you to that. Always up for a beer. Have met both many times, actually have both their autographs. My Grandfather was great mates with Skinny. Grew up with him in Castlemaine. Played a lot of footy against each other at the higher level. Skinny was at my grand dads funeral. Look forward to that beer later in the year at the G

I'm not buying into the Richmond v Collingwood debate and who is better (answer is obvious to all). I will buy you several beers though to hear stories you may have of Skinny and others from back in the day.

As an aside, I wrote a paper a couple of decades back now on Richmond and Collingwood through the Depression years and the role football played and both suburbs are very much kindred suburbs. They really did dislike each other intensely. Shame some of that has gone due to our period of sh1tfulness as it far exceeded other rivalries that exist today.

As a further aside, one could argue more criminals lived in Collingwood back in the day but let's leave that for another day 😁👍.

Back