Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
1648284579576.png

Hey all! Bit behind everyone else on starting a thread but that's because I'm still pretty far behind on this draft in comparison to others. Have done a lot of catching up this month and have a top 20 that I'm relatively happy with

As always, I have my own biases (In particular WA and Tasmania) as well as blindspots (Haven't had the ability to attend any practice games out of state, haven't watched too much of the allies with the exception of Tasmanian games) so my top 20 isn't perfect

Names I really like in this draft include Kobe Ryan (I'm probably the only person to have him in top 5, but was continually impressed everytime I saw him), Jackson Broadbent (Best ruck in a draft since Luke Jackson), Sam Gilbey, Tyson Walls, Conrad Williams and Jack Cleaver

I don't think any of the Tassie boys are first round material this year, players like Lachie Cowan, Seth Campbell and Cameron Owen SHOULD all get drafted, but I'm not sure on them going top 20

Looking forward to another great year of draft watching 🥳

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Hewett, Broadbent and Gilbey seem like the consensus big 3 Sandgropers this year.

Ready for Bevan, Hagan, Busslinger, Evitt and Cleaver to make a mark.
I reckon Williams and Jones eill be the ones to rocket up personally, especially if Jones can show something as a small forward

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
I reckon Williams and Jones will be the ones to rocket up personally, especially if Jones can show something as a small forward

As in Conrad?

If he rises high enough, will he be out of Freo's grasp?

Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
GBay-WSox-Bulls-Blackhawks-LSU-UNC
I reckon Williams and Jones eill be the ones to rocket up personally, especially if Jones can show something as a small forward
Yeah Bangers I agree to a point. Both Jones and Williams have transferable traits if they build on them this year, good skills and running patterns, reading the play/ball well. Williams needs to provide bigger numbers this year though, as he has shown he can use the ball well when he gets it with good composure and spatial awareness with the ball. Jones just needs to keep doing what he was doing last year and list it up a notch, but size wise....needs a sandwich or two :tearsofjoy:
Hewett is by far my favorite from W.A

allswell

Rookie
Nov 24, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bastyy

I posted this on another thread but will copy here. Also, were is Conrad and Williams- they dont seem to have playd yet?

Looked up the Wa boys for drafting this year and where they have playd Wafl in the preseason so far (2 weeks in out of 4). Tried to think of the boys who were in the state team last year. Could of missed some.

League
Busslinger
Cleaver
Bourne
Hewett

Reserves
Gilbey
Ledger
Hagan

These ones have played Colts.
Broadbent
Draper
Hardeman
Luke Brown
Evitt
De Masi
Tholstrup
Scaife
Bevan
Michael
Carbone
Julian

Be interest to see who has done enough to get a league game in the season proper

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Yeah Bangers I agree to a point. Both Jones and Williams have transferable traits if they build on them this year, good skills and running patterns, reading the play/ball well. Williams needs to provide bigger numbers this year though, as he has shown he can use the ball well when he gets it with good composure and spatial awareness with the ball. Jones just needs to keep doing what he was doing last year and list it up a notch, but size wise....needs a sandwich or two :tearsofjoy:
Hewett is by far my favorite from W.A
Hewett reminds me of what we expected PDU to be at AFL level, hopefully he can translate quicker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hewett, Broadbent and Gilbey seem like the consensus big 3 Sandgropers this year.

Ready for Bevan, Hagan, Busslinger, Evitt and Cleaver to make a mark.
Think it's more of a big 4 this year with Busslinger but year, those 3 you mentioned are all amazing talents and WA's best first round chances this year. Bevan is the one I'm very excited for though, could enter that group very easily this year
Jones is another one I was really impressed with last year, I worry a bit about his size but did everything he possibly could last year
Bastyy

I posted this on another thread but will copy here. Also, were is Conrad and Williams- they dont seem to have playd yet?
Not sure, given it's a pre-season game it's not too much of a concern as it could be anything between injury or just being rested
My favourite draft thread is here 🤗
My favourite contributor to my draft thread is here 🤗

Bendigo Pioneers vs GWV Rebels Notes 8/04/2022
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Finally getting around to watching last weekend's games. Just had the pleasure of enjoying Bendigo vs GWV and while it wasn't the best game skill wise, there was a lot of talent and the game itself was pretty enjoyable before GWV broke ahead in the 4th

Aaron Cadman (GWV Rebels): Clearly best afield and had an amazing game as a tall forward. Kicked 4.3 and took some great marks, reading the ball perfectly and holding on to some difficult ones. I also enjoyed seeing him working up the ground at times and not just being stationed inside the forward-50 all game

Jason Gilbee (Bendigo Pioneers): I really like what I saw from this kid. He's a really nice size and looked great as an inside midfielder and really dangerous and dynamic in the forward line. He was productive in the midfield and provided a good option in stoppages but also managed to move forward and kick two goals. If was was less unselfish with the ball inside 50 he could have had 3-4 goals for the day and been considered best on field. His highlight of the day was launching the ball from the edge of 50 in the 3rd quarter and kicking his second. I think he could rise very high up my board

Harley Reid (Bendigo Pioneers): The underager looked great in the midfield and was lively all around the ground, but sadly his day was blemished by the fact he kicked 1.6. If he kicked even half of those he missed he'd be the best afield but sadly those misses cost some golden opportunities for the Pioneers. Still though, Reid looked great using his speed and skills to help lead the Pioneers midfield when it needed him

Corbin Anderson (Bendigo Pioneers): A nice game from the defender who looked pretty good as a rebounding half back. Set up a lot of the Pioneers attack from the back line and helped take the pressure off with 9 intercept marks. A real gem here

James Van Es (GWV Rebels): The tall defender looked great all day for the Rebels, showing his intercept marking prowess and size and keeping the forward line of the Pioneers under wraps. Great reader of the ball but struggled with kicking, otherwise I would have him high on my radar. Looking forward to seeing how he goes on other tall forwards throughout the year

Hugh Bond (GWV Rebels): Another personal favourite from the day, Bond recorded 9 tackles and looked really promising at stoppages. Often bursting out with strength or finding the right option with a handball. His tackling and pressure though is the highlight of his game and he even kicked a nice bender at the start of the game to put himself on the scoreboard. If he can show that there is more to his game than his inside work I think there's a lot to work with here

A few other names I enjoyed watching included Jamieson Ballantyne who I had top 60 last year, I thought he still looked really good and is one of the best 19 year olds available this year. Oscar Faulkhead was pretty good as an over-ager and showed some brilliant moments while I also liked glimpses of Deng and Luamon Lual as well as a few nice things being done by Beau Tedcastle, Max Dow and Joel Freijah

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Finally getting around to watching last weekend's games. Just had the pleasure of enjoying Bendigo vs GWV and while it wasn't the best game skill wise, there was a lot of talent and the game itself was pretty enjoyable before GWV broke ahead in the 4th

Aaron Cadman (GWV Rebels): Clearly best afield and had an amazing game as a tall forward. Kicked 4.3 and took some great marks, reading the ball perfectly and holding on to some difficult ones. I also enjoyed seeing him working up the ground at times and not just being stationed inside the forward-50 all game

Jason Gilbee (Bendigo Pioneers): I really like what I saw from this kid. He's a really nice size and looked great as an inside midfielder and really dangerous and dynamic in the forward line. He was productive in the midfield and provided a good option in stoppages but also managed to move forward and kick two goals. If was was less unselfish with the ball inside 50 he could have had 3-4 goals for the day and been considered best on field. His highlight of the day was launching the ball from the edge of 50 in the 3rd quarter and kicking his second. I think he could rise very high up my board

Harley Reid (Bendigo Pioneers): The underager looked great in the midfield and was lively all around the ground, but sadly his day was blemished by the fact he kicked 1.6. If he kicked even half of those he missed he'd be the best afield but sadly those misses cost some golden opportunities for the Pioneers. Still though, Reid looked great using his speed and skills to help lead the Pioneers midfield when it needed him

Corbin Anderson (Bendigo Pioneers): A nice game from the defender who looked pretty good as a rebounding half back. Set up a lot of the Pioneers attack from the back line and helped take the pressure off with 9 intercept marks. A real gem here

James Van Es (GWV Rebels): The tall defender looked great all day for the Rebels, showing his intercept marking prowess and size and keeping the forward line of the Pioneers under wraps. Great reader of the ball but struggled with kicking, otherwise I would have him high on my radar. Looking forward to seeing how he goes on other tall forwards throughout the year

Hugh Bond (GWV Rebels): Another personal favourite from the day, Bond recorded 9 tackles and looked really promising at stoppages. Often bursting out with strength or finding the right option with a handball. His tackling and pressure though is the highlight of his game and he even kicked a nice bender at the start of the game to put himself on the scoreboard. If he can show that there is more to his game than his inside work I think there's a lot to work with here

A few other names I enjoyed watching included Jamieson Ballantyne who I had top 60 last year, I thought he still looked really good and is one of the best 19 year olds available this year. Oscar Faulkhead was pretty good as an over-ager and showed some brilliant moments while I also liked glimpses of Deng and Luamon Lual as well as a few nice things being done by Beau Tedcastle, Max Dow and Joel Freijah
Hugh Bond comes from an elite rowing background...

r0_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hugh Bond comes from an elite rowing background...

View attachment 1366788
I saw the GWV talent operations lead mention this about him to rookie me central, has a great work rate in the game and I wouldn't be surprised to see him work his way towards a late draft/rookie pick come draft time

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Halftime between West Perth and Claremont and Kane Bevan (West Perth/Inside Midfielder) clearly best afield at the moment. Would love to see him play some senior/reserves games soon because he looks a level above almost everyone out there

Also impressed with Luke Michael (West Perth/General Defender) and Conrad Williams (Claremont/Outside Midfielder) who both are continuing on from their strong 2021 campaigns. Should have full notes for this game and the rest of the Colts games either tonight or tomorrow

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder vs East Freo game just finished up. Not the best game ever but a few notable players playing good games and a few notable names (Cleaver and Hagan in particular) playing disappointing.

Jackson Broadbent shouldn't be playing in the colts, he's so much better than any other ruck in the WAFL Colts and deserves to play against men. The game was won because every stoppage was influenced by Broadbent. The only other ruckman close to him was Peel Thunder's Mitchell Edwards (A Freo NGA member for 2023) who has a great leap and work rate around the ground.

allswell

Rookie
Nov 24, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Peel Thunder vs East Freo game just finished up. Not the best game ever but a few notable players playing good games and a few notable names (Cleaver and Hagan in particular) playing disappointing.

Jackson Broadbent shouldn't be playing in the colts, he's so much better than any other ruck in the WAFL Colts and deserves to play against men. The game was won because every stoppage was influenced by Broadbent. The only other ruckman close to him was Peel Thunder's Mitchell Edwards (A Freo NGA member for 2023) who has a great leap and work rate around the ground.
I was at this game. Broadbent is a giant- probably needs some fitness work though. He’s good around the ground when he gets there. Monstered the ruck. Selwood tough nut and thought carbone was good. Undecided re Draper- he goes missing at times but has a nice mark when he gets on the end of one. Think your a hit harsh on the EF boys/ that whole team is undersized and should have been beaten by more. Cleaver in particular stopped their bigggest forwards even though he gave away 10-15cm at times. Don’t think any of there tall forwards (including the resting ruckman) got a goal on him and he has one of the best kicks out of the backline. Hagan- finds it a bit but his impact is questionable. Missed two easy shots in front. Knows how to draw a free. Other than those two EF lack anything. I barrack for Peel so it was a good game to watch. Peel much cleaner in the middle and around the ground and thought they should have put the game to rest earlier than they did.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I was at this game. Broadbent is a giant- probably needs some fitness work though. He’s good around the ground when he gets there. Monstered the ruck. Selwood tough nut and thought carbone was good. Undecided re Draper- he goes missing at times but has a nice mark when he gets on the end of one. Think your a hit harsh on the EF boys/ that whole team is undersized and should have been beaten by more. Cleaver in particular stopped their bigggest forwards even though he gave away 10-15cm at times. Don’t think any of there tall forwards (including the resting ruckman) got a goal on him and he has one of the best kicks out of the backline. Hagan- finds it a bit but his impact is questionable. Missed two easy shots in front. Knows how to draw a free. Other than those two EF lack anything. I barrack for Peel so it was a good game to watch. Peel much cleaner in the middle and around the ground and thought they should have put the game to rest earlier than they did.
Agree with you on a lot of these, especially on the part of Draper who I was particularly disappointed by. I may need to rewatch the game but I wasn't overly impressed by Cleaver today but will go back when I go over my notes again tonight

allswell

Rookie
Nov 24, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree with you on a lot of these, especially on the part of Draper who I was particularly disappointed by. I may need to rewatch the game but I wasn't overly impressed by Cleaver today but will go back when I go over my notes again tonight
I guess you see things differently at the ground as opposed to watching in a screen. Stats don’t give you everything, esp for backman.

Freezin

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2007
Aotearoa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
Thought I heard the commentator say in the warm up EF had only 3 players 18 and over, whilst Peel had nearly double figures in players 18 and over. Whist Broadbent is obviously a class act, EF opposing ruck was Scott who is 188cm.....EF looked undersized v Peel and did well to stay in the game for as long as they did.....EF definitely need some height, think Otto was their tallest at 194cm, with Austin and McManus at 192cm. Hopefully McMillan, Morphew and O'Reilly come in at some point to add some height, all are 194cm plus. Peel had some giants in their side, definitely with some talent as well.

Last edited:
Pre-Champs Rankings
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hi everyone, long time no update. Life has been busy so haven't had all the time in the world to update my rankings and draft watch but with champs coming back this week I thought I may as well post where I'm at

1655474182261.png

-Busslinger is probably my favourite tall defender I've ever watched in the prelude to a draft. DGB took that mantle a few years back but now I am a huge fan of the Buss
-Kobe Ryan is still a personal favourite and I hope he has a good champs. I think he's going to be one who slides but I'd back him in personally
-Broadbent has enough runs on the board for me to keep him in my top 10, but I am worried he will fall in coming months. Needs a good champs
-Bevan is maybe my number 1 favourite, he's been brilliant all year (despite a few blemishes in the past few weeks) and his body of work before champs gets him put this high. Just an all around dominant inside midfielder who does as he pleases
-Cadman was out of my top 20 for a while but now he's back in. PMBangers is his number 1 fan and him talking him up has made me go back and watch replays of him. He's the real thing
-Jason Gillbee is a huge X-Factor, he can play anywhere and do anything. I could see him being the Allies MVP
-I've appreciated the past few games from Hagan, the whole 20-30 list is jampacked at the moment, so I decided to reward Hagan's consistency and put him top 20

-Tom Scully is the obvious out of this list. His U18 trial games so far have been VERY underwhelming and I'm just not confident in him transitioning to AFL level as well as the players I have above him. Hoping to be proven wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back