Tom Hawkins 700 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins is arguably at the top of his game and contending for a 4th consecutive AA jacket (5th overall) this late into his career. You'd be lying to yourself if you said this wasn't impressive. Him & Franklin would have to be perfect examples of the amount you can still give in the career twilight zone. Just wish he'd stop shoving people off the ball all the god damn time.

FVhWneKakAAVAEu

Superstar, anyone saying anything to lower his colors is ridiculous. Genuine gun and one of, if not the best forward of the decade.

I don't think he really pushes players in the back often, he plays from behind but usually knocks his players off that behind-but-lateral angle which is NOT a push in the back. He's just a unit and a half!

I'd sell my left nut for a FF like him at the pies.

Good player, surprised he has kicked so many tbh.
Only a couple of hundred off the true greats.

He is a great though.

Him, Riewoldt and Kennedy have all kicked more goals than most forwards even though they play in an era when big bags haven't been as prevalent as previous generations I reckon.

Hawkins, Reiwoldt and Kennedy would be greats in any era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plays from behind and pushes/out bodies his opponent so you'd expect he gets less frees

The FF/FA stats for Hawkins, Kennedy, Riewoldt, Walker, Cameron, Darling, Lynch are pretty comparable.

If people really want to argue that Hawkins 0.88 FF per game is statistically significant compared to Riewoldt's 0.95 or Kennedy's 1.06 then good luck to them. The difference between Hawkins and Kennedy (the bookends of that stat for the 700 club) is 0.16 FF per game. In other words an extra free kick every 5 or 6 games. A lot of it is game style. Given how Hawkins plays he's never going to get Nick Riewoldt free kick numbers.

The real outlier is Franklin who gives away 1 free kick per game more than the others. He gets slightly more frees than the others, but if anything I'd say the umpires miss more frees he should get than unfairly penalise him. Has given away over 600 frees in his career and I reckon most of them have been pretty obvious. Absolute superstar but he does give away some dumb frees.

The FF/FA stats for Hawkins, Kennedy, Riewoldt, Walker, Cameron, Darling, Lynch are pretty comparable.

If people really want to argue that Hawkins 0.88 FF per game is statistically significant compared to Riewoldt's 0.95 or Kennedy's 1.06 then good luck to them. The difference between Hawkins and Kennedy (the bookends of that stat for the 700 club) is 0.16 FF per game. In other words an extra free kick every 5 or 6 games. A lot of it is game style. Given how Hawkins plays he's never going to get Nick Riewoldt free kick numbers.

The real outlier is Franklin who gives away 1 free kick per game more than the others. He gets slightly more frees than the others, but if anything I'd say the umpires miss more frees he should get than unfairly penalise him. Has given away over 600 frees in his career and I reckon most of them have been pretty obvious. Absolute superstar but he does give away some dumb frees.
Darling
Please

He is a great though.

Him, Riewoldt and Kennedy have all kicked more goals than most forwards even though they play in an era when big bags haven't been as prevalent as previous generations I reckon.

Hawkins, Reiwoldt and Kennedy would be greats in any era.

I don't have Hawkins in the same tier as Riewoldt, Tredrea and Kennedy.
They're both a tier below Brown, N. Riewoldt and Pavlich.
Which are a tier below Richo, Lloyd and Fevola for mine.

Was gonna say, how soon people forget Fevola. If he was less of an idiot and had more longevity in the game, could have easily kicked 1000.

Was gonna say, how soon people forget Fevola. If he was less of an idiot and had more longevity in the game, could have easily kicked 1000.

Fev was a gun but like Lloyd he did play in a slightly higher scoring era for key forwards. Coleman Medalist kicked 80+ 7 times 2001-2009 and only once since. In the 90s it was rare to win it kicking under 100.

Hawkins has kicked 60+ 4 times since 2012 and rarely dips below 40-50. IMO if he did that 2002-2012 it wouldn't be that noteworthy.

Lol.

Look at the amount of goals he’s given away and try and say that again with a straight face. Brown isn’t in the same class as the other two you’ve grouped him with either.

Who is better Jack Riewoldt or Tom Hawkins

If you wanted an ‘icing’ player Jack Riewoldt. If I had a really really good side with one gap missing up forward I’d put Jack in as he’s been a better pure goal kicker.

Even allowing for the changes Jack has made to his game in the last 4-5 years though if you were going to pick one to build a side around you’d pick Hawkins IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back