Tom Hawkins 700 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2020 grand final sums up both players, Hawkins did nothing while Riewoldt kicked multiple goals to help his team over the line

Yeah that sums them both up to a tee. The grand final where Hawkins was second in the norm smith doesn’t sum them both up, that grand final does, though. That sums them up perfectly. That’s what it does.

Well done and congrats to Tom Hawkins. He has endured and deserves the accolades that come his way. I recognise his achievements, his durability and his value to his side.

Of course he frustrates me, much like Riewoldt frustrates supporters of other sides. And I’ll always take Jack over Tom because… it’s complex and it’s intangible. Who is actually better? It doesn’t really matter.

It's not that complicated.

Goal assists are a stat Geelong as a team typically feature prominently in. Hawkins gives goals away, great. So do other Geelong forwards past and present. That's the point. What he gives away he just gets back.

It’s a very good point. He’s gotten heaps back from Johnson and stokes in particular, and especially over the last 8-9 seasons

He’s behind Kennedy and J Riewoldt but still a terrific servant of the game.
Of the three only Hawkins should play on next year and if he does he’ll more than likely have outscored both of them.

I think Riewoldt was the most reliable over the whole 15 years, Hawkins the most durable and Kennedy the biggest peak.

Of the three only Hawkins should play on next year and if he does he’ll more than likely have outscored both of them.
If he played on next year I’m not sure my opinion would change necessarily. Longevity is definitely with Tom but at their best I’d take the other two.

If you wanted an ‘icing’ player Jack Riewoldt. If I had a really really good side with one gap missing up forward I’d put Jack in as he’s been a better pure goal kicker.

Even allowing for the changes Jack has made to his game in the last 4-5 years though if you were going to pick one to build a side around you’d pick Hawkins IMO.
Don’t think calling either of them “icing” type players is fair.

Considering one has played in a far worse team for the majority of his career while the other has been in a consistent finals contender his whole career, I’d say the former is far more the cake type however.

Don’t think you can call either of them “icing” type players. Considering one has played in a far worse team for the majority of his career while the other has been in a consistent finals contender his whole career, I’d say the former is far more the cake type however.
Hawkins was a passenger when Geelong were winning grand finals, while Jack was Richmond's best forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2020 grand final sums up both players, Hawkins did nothing while Riewoldt kicked multiple goals to help his team over the line

Riewoldt kicked 2 goals to Hawkins one in 2020. Riewoldt's 2nd goal came in the 31st minute of the 4th up 4 goals.

Riewoldt actually kicked 2.2 that game and 1.2 of his score came after the 26min mark of the last when the game was already sealed.

315 games, 700 goals and top 3 all-time for goal assists, just unreal. Would be closer to 800 goals had he not passed off so many and would be in that 850 range without his back injury where he was forced to play ruck and it looked like his career was done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back