When will the media be held accountable for their impact on player mental health?

Remove this Banner Ad

No need to lie?

Then why did you lie, I challenged you, come back and show where I said what you said I did.

You just sound sillier and sillier.

And also, reverting back to what I said earlier.

I said I was done with you, but you just persist, so I am now absolutely confident you would do exactly what the media did.

You keep replying though?

Not at all.

You think the media's treatment of Hird was fine, right?

In hindsight, knowing the outcome, you're still here posting saying 'all good, would be happy for it to happen again'.
Just making s**t up are you?

I said Hird was working with a large section of the media whose goal was to protect him and spread lies. But you continue with your lies anyway.

In the case of De Goey - if he didn't want negative media attention, maybe he shouldn't have something ******* dumb nearly every year, whilst not living up to his requested salary (and trying to maximize his salary by leveraging the threat of free agency).
And JHF, as per OP?

And what about playing the mental health card when caught doing coke. Rather than take full (and honest) responsibility, they pull out the mental health card.

***** insulting to all that genuinely have mental health problems.

Garry Lyon when he was having his time with Billy's wife, Stengle and Hunter when drink driving during COVID had defenders talk about the "pressures of isolation TM" etc.

And JHF, as per OP?

If he didn't want his on field performance scrutinised, then he needs to keep his head and not dog whack opponents out of frustration and aggressively argue with senior teammates.

And yes I do think his off field things should be less focused (liking a post for example) than De Goey - JHF has none of the track record. Much like Nick Daicos going to Bali and getting criticized would have received more defending from me. De Goey has made his bed, now he can lie in it.

You click on a Kane Cornes article you are just as culpable

De goey has brought this on himself. No questions asked.

JHF I feel for as a young guy in a s**t team under the microscope, but I don’t think that’s the medias fault. I also don’t think it will have a long lasting consequence on his reputation.

For me it’s play on - big bucks, big clicks, bigfooty..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel both sides of the argument are fairly valid.

My only real beef is when they try and have it both ways.

Don’t go out and virtue signal about mental health and then hog pile like a bunch of vultures over a nothing story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players do have to be careful. The media are vultures. Media personalities practically whore themselves out for coin. The more clicks the more coverage the better the money. Footballers need to understand this - media isn’t going to relent. If you are a footballer, just live a civil and enjoyable life without trying to be a rockstar. If I were managing DeGoey I’d encourage him to find something enjoyable that didn’t consist of nightclubs. Nothing good can be found there for him. Also, I am a big fan of the kid so I wish him all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think leading the news with DeGoey is OTT. I don’t watch news much these days, but during the week I was interested in another topic and I couldn’t believe DeGoey was the main item.
Is it really that important? Also I swear the people who watch the news aren’t sport lovers anyway.

Sure JDG is a dill but it’s so irrelevant in the overall scheme of things.

The way Tom Morris kept asking about Lauchy Hunter who had personal issues was a disgrace as was Fox reporters demanding an interview with Dustin Martin when he said he didn't want to.
Money usually trumps mental health these days.

Money trumps everything at anytime. Greed rules supreme in our society. Mankind is pretty ****ed up.

Waahhh I need support because my dickhead mates leaked a video of me being a massive w***er in Bali. Oh it's so unfair.

At least he didn't king hit anyone this time I suppose. Collingwood are to blame for enabling him

Tbf JDG would have known his bird was putting that footage on social media

Wtf did the dickhead expect was going to happen?

I kinda feel like he loves the bad boy media attention he gets

Nah he's just a dumbass bogan with no self control on the piss

The Jordan de Goey Bali story is just another example of how AFL football is over-analysed by an rabid football media, always searching relentlessly for the next great narrative to devour, with minor incidents magnified into front page stories coupled with overblown analysis of why teams win or lose and / or the almost annual 'club in crisis' trope.

Social media adds further to the hyperbole and over-reaction.

Amusing to read on occcasions but most of it not really to be taken seriously. As in this case.

The Jordan de Goey Bali story is just another example of how AFL football is over-analysed by an rabid football media, always searching relentlessly for the next great narrative to devour, with minor incidents magnified into front page stories coupled with overblown analysis of why teams win or lose and / or the almost annual 'club in crisis' trope.

Amusing to read on occcasions but most of it not really to be taken seriously. As in this case.
99.999% of the time, it will flesh out like this and it’ll be forgotten in 1-2 weeks time.

But that 0.001% will eventually happen where we’ll have an AFL player neck themselves and some of the keyboard heros who are victim blaming in instances like this will take a good hard look at themselves.

What’s disappointing in today’s culture is the relentless onslaught and bullying people and media are allowed to do to individuals because of that person’s prior indiscretions instead of judging each instance on its own merit. One day it will blow up in their faces, and one day we’re going to be sitting here saying we shouldn’t have let it happen but it’ll be too late.

The new trend now is to accuse people of ‘pulling the mental health card’. What qualifications do we have or who the heck are we to judge if someone is actually doing that from our keyboards without knowing that individual?

Tbf JDG would have known his bird was putting that footage on social media

Wtf did the dickhead expect was going to happen?

I kinda feel like he loves the bad boy media attention he gets
You’re probably right, but you’re judging the action in this instance and not the reaction of the media. Do you believe their reaction is warranted? Is there really a story? Isn’t he allowed to have a few drinks with his mates on his time off?

I theorise that

• the week between rounds (6-7 days) finds the media finding the most minute morsels of "news" they can find.
  • this leads to over analysis as you said
  • if the players have "too much downtime", this is the same for AFL media
  • contrast to say the NBA, or soccer, where there's games on a frequent level. Move onto the next game quickly. Quick analysis, next game.
  • I wonder how many AFL media personnel have other strings to their bow? Perhaps less than 50%. Speciality does happen in say USA sports, but I find watching espn panel shows you'll have basketball/football personalities also contribute on other sports, including in the offseason
  • footy is a part of our culture. But at the end of the day, does it warrant the saturation? Media will tell you that say the degoey story IS front page news because thats what the people want. But the question remains.... is it really? OR are the media trying to convince us that it is?

I theorise that

• the week between rounds (6-7 days) finds the media finding the most minute morsels of "news" they can find.
  • this leads to over analysis as you said
  • if the players have "too much downtime", this is the same for AFL media
  • contrast to say the NBA, or soccer, where there's games on a frequent level. Move onto the next game quickly. Quick analysis, next game.
  • I wonder how many AFL media personnel have other strings to their bow? Perhaps less than 50%. Speciality does happen in say USA sports, but I find watching espn panel shows you'll have basketball/football personalities also contribute on other sports, including in the offseason
  • footy is a part of our culture. But at the end of the day, does it warrant the saturation? Media will tell you that say the degoey story IS front page news because thats what the people want. But the question remains.... is it really? OR are the media trying to convince us that it is?
In answer to your last question, you just need to look at the social media commentary of Australians everywhere that it isn’t what the public wants and over 90% or comments is people saying this is a non story and he should be allowed to have down time but they write stories regardless of reactions because any reaction, whether it’s positive or negative, is good publicity for them. That’s the disappointing thing. It’s just a ‘me time’ opportunity for the journos and media personalities more than it is about the story itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back