List Mgmt. AFLW List Management, Trades, Draft, Expansion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish we could've given Martin a 2 year contract.

But I guess the club may have wanted 2, but went tier 3. But Martin feels she can push for tier 2 next year.

Very few two-year signings for us, actually! Our five clearly most important players, and then our three most recent draftees, and that's it. Good to see that they've given Prowse, Tonon and Ballard two more seasons. I guess it's also a way to lock them in at the lowest tier for now.

So in the end we lose 12 premierships worth of experience this off-season. Thirteen if Metcalfe goes as well. That certainly could have been a lot worse.

Very few two-year signings for us, actually! Our five clearly most important players, and then our three most recent draftees, and that's it. Good to see that they've given Prowse, Tonon and Ballard two more seasons. I guess it's also a way to lock them in at the lowest tier for now.

So in the end we lose 12 premierships worth of experience this off-season. Thirteen if Metcalfe goes as well. That certainly could have been a lot worse.

Is there still a limit on the amount of two year contracts you can give to players?

I don’t care if she’s been injured for 2 straight years delisting Dayna Cox and re-signing Considine is a putrid football decision.

Like delisting Jason Torney and keeping Kris Massie all over again.

I don’t care if she’s been injured for 2 straight years delisting Dayna Cox and re-signing Considine is a putrid football decision.

Like delisting Jason Torney and keeping Kris Massie all over again.
Cox is on inactive list due to work commitments.

Final list

Signed to End of 2023
Eloise Jones
Sarah Allan
Chelsea Randall
Anne Hatchard
Eb Marinoff
Zoe Prowse
Abbie Ballard
Brooke Tonon

Signed to End of 2022
Stevie-Lee Thompson
Najwa Allen
Teah Charlton
Danielle Ponter
Niamh Kelly
Amber Ward
Ash Woodland
Montana McKinnon
Marijana Rajcic
Jasmyn Hewett
Hannah Button
Caitlin Gould
Rachelle Martin
Chelsea Biddell
Hannah Munyard
Jasmine Simmons
Maddi Newman
Ailish Considine
Lisa Whiteley

Inactive List
Deni Varnhagen (pregnancy)
Dayna Cox (work)

Moved On
Ange Foley (expansion signing to Port Adelaide)
Jess Sedunary (traded to West Coast)
Nikki Gore (traded to Fremantle)
Erin Phillips (expansion signing to Port Adelaide)
Justine Mules (expansion signing to Port Adelaide)
McKenzie Dowrick (delisted)

Retired
Rhiannon Metcalfe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an outstanding result!

After playing in 4 out of 5 grand finals and Winning three premierships, is there any chance that the AFLW media will rate us next season 😃?

I went back and looked at what people said for 2022 and I could barely find a single person even willing to pick Adelaide for a grand final position, let alone a premiership. Pretty rough considering we had just played in a grand final! I know we lost and all, but still.

The only person I could find making a case for us was Collingwood's Steph Chiocci basically saying "what the hell, why is nobody rating Adelaide? They're clearly one of the best sides in the comp", haha.

I stand by my comment… I’d prefer the extra list spot.

I've recently finished my rewatch of the season and Considine was actually not that bad in the second half of the season. Was nearly invisible in the grand final though.

I've recently finished my rewatch of the season and Considine was actually not that bad in the second half of the season. Was nearly invisible in the grand final though.
Some would say that's a good game for her

I went back and looked at what people said for 2022 and I could barely find a single person even willing to pick Adelaide for a grand final position, let alone a premiership. Pretty rough considering we had just played in a grand final! I know we lost and all, but still.

The only person I could find making a case for us was Collingwood's Steph Chiocci basically saying "what the hell, why is nobody rating Adelaide? They're clearly one of the best sides in the comp", haha.

This happens every season and it’s weird. Even saw oppo fans saying we’d miss finals

This happens every season and it’s weird. Even saw oppo fans saying we’d miss finals

Honestly, I can understand it most other years. In 2017 everyone thought we would be rubbish. In 2018 we were very average and then sacked our coach, so nobody saw 2019 coming. In 2020 we were actually rated and ended up shitting the bed, so people rightly overlooked us in 2021.

But in 2022, people should have known better. We were the minor premiers in 2021, after all! And the only real loss of substance from that team was Scheer.

It’d rather look at it this way..
We’ve retained ~ 85% of the team that are the reigning premiers.

Much better than ~ 50% loss that most of us were all fearing.

I saw elsewhere on Big Footy Forum " Now that Phillips is at Port Power it is their's to lose" Somebody was rational in response with them. But I say let them live in dream world.

I have some themes for Season VII

1. There is not much room on the Melbourne Bandwagon with the Victorian Media in Seat 1A and 1B for Daisy's Legacy and poor Tayla 3 GF Losses.

2. Brisbane need to win cement there legacy 1 win from 3 Grand Finals.

3. North Melbourne Tasmania (NMT) and Fremantle robbed by COVID in 2020 owed by the Gods.

4. Who is the best expansion team since NMT is it Port Power or Essendon.

5. An Austin Powers Meme with Dr Evil with Mini Me for the expansion team "You complete me".

6. The first proper AFLW oval for Brisbane.

7. Will Port Power's AFLW team be since 1870.

8. Adelaide needs POrt Power not to be a basket case in Season VII.

9. The big elephant in the room finding
17.6 Disposals
12.4 Kicks
5.2 Handballs
3.6 Marks
2.8 Tackles
1.1 Goals
Lucky Eloise Jones has 14.5 Disposals and Teah Charlton 11.7 Disposals. More Centre Ball Bounces to help. A chance for Dr Clarke to reset but doesn't need a lot.

The main issue with replacing Phillips won't be her work at centre clearances (she didn't spent much time there this season anyway) or her goals (she only kicked 8 this year). It will be the thing she's always been best at, score involvements.

Even in a slightly down year, and having missed a match, she again led the league in score involvements this year with 60, averaging 5.5 per game (ahead of Anne Hatchard in second place with 4.3). She also led the league in score involvements in 2017, 2019 and 2021, and averaged the highest in 2018 (excluding Kellie Gibson who only played one match).

She had a real knack for creating scoring opportunities, either by scoring herself, or by getting the ball up forward and putting it to a teammate's advantage.

There's nobody in our side that has proven they have that skillset. We tried Randall in that role in 2021 but it didn't really work. Whiteley has played it to decent effect but not at Phillips' level. Beyond that, who knows? Maybe we'll try Prowse or Simmons up forward as a tall leading target? Maybe Niamh Kelly?

When is the AFLW 'draft'?

I say 'draft' because it's not a real draft given the zone restrictions.

June 29 - The Home of AFL Women - Draft

Looks Yasmin Duursma has nominated for SA. Her "dream" is to join her brother at Port, but would we be interested forcing Port to use one of their higher picks?

Probably not. One of the big positives to come out of out the last month has been showing how good our culture is. Phil Harper mentioned in a recent puff piece that every single player in the Crows team could have gotten more money elsewhere, and he's probably right.

Playing sneaky buggers to sign up a player who doesn't want to play here feels contrary to that. I think there are supposed to be six standout SA talents this year, we'll have access to at least one of them. Go with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back