• This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't think a qualified psychologist is required for the role.
An empathetic Mum is all that's necessary

P&C committee volunteers would be providing student welfare services if that’s the case.

Students do need some form of welfare support provided by a qualified secular source. Whilst a psychology degree may be overkill (although I think a psychologist should be on hand, maybe 1 per 5 schools or something) each school should have at least one welfare support person with at least a diploma in counselling.

That person should in no way, shape or form be required to be of a religious affiliation to hold a government job.

Imagine if we said only religious people were allowed to be public health nurses, police officers, paramedics, garbos, park rangers, librarians etc? Why are public school welfare officers any different?

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
P&C committee volunteers would be providing student welfare services if that’s the case.

Students do need some form of welfare support provided by a qualified secular source. Whilst a psychology degree may be overkill (although I think a psychologist should be on hand, maybe 1 per 5 schools or something) each school should have at least one welfare support person with at least a diploma in counselling.

That person should in no way, shape or form be required to be of a religious affiliation to hold a government job.

Imagine if we said only religious people were allowed to be public health nurses, police officers, paramedics, garbos, park rangers, librarians etc? Why are public school welfare officers any different?
I agree about religious affiliation being undesirable garbage in a kids counsellor and am extacic Clare dumped it.

I still think a semi retired teacher with an affinity for getting on with kids or the like is all that's necessary to do a 'Chaplin type' role.
Counselling is very wanky in many respects and the majority of the job has little relevance to it.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree about religious affiliation being undesirable garbage in a kids counsellor and am extacic Clare dumped it.

I still think a semi retired teacher with an affinity for getting on with kids or the like is all that's necessary to do a 'Chaplin type' role.
Counselling is very wanky in many respects and the majority of the job has little relevance to it.

It’s a bit of a “mentor” role combined with a “listening” role. We have those in our workplace. But under no circumstances is it a necessity to be religious, just plays on a stereotype that religious people are kinder and friendly.

I wonder what the response would be if the student who came to the chaplain me said “My parents are forcing me to go to church against my will” or “I think I’m gay/trans”.

Let’s see how “warm and fuzzy”the Chaplains are then.....

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Put more resources into learning difficulties like dyslexia

There’s some very talented, emotionally intelligent and motivated people in the right space who are badly let down by the system.

All sorts of charlatans and shysters fill the void

Nice to see the French Left doing the job of the Australian Left.

Ya love to see it, but tbf isn't this kinda the same as The Greens position on Assange? It's great, but we need a major party to follow suit before there is any chance of a good result.

Granted NUPES probably have a greater scope to force a good result on this issue than The Greens.

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ya love to see it, but tbf isn't this kinda the same as The Greens position on Assange? It's great, but we need a major party to follow suit before there is any chance of a good result.

Granted NUPES probably have a greater scope to force a good result on this issue than The Greens.
People seem to have forgotten that Asanage didn't just leak information about war crimes (in which case he would be correct) but put peoples lives at risk to suit his ego.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
People seem to have forgotten that Asanage didn't just leak information about war crimes (in which case he would be correct) but put peoples lives at risk to suit his ego.

he's not the 1st journo 2 do that. he's been 2 hell and back 4 exposing lies and corruption. enough!

obama shortened manning's sentence. assange should b shown compassion 2.

Albo doing his best to crewte a wage price spiral.

does someone want to tell him thr rba are raising rates to try and stop exactly this from occuring?
The best thing about all the whining is that youare going to have to keep it up for at least 3 years.
I never get sick of hearing RWNJ whining.
Whine away.
Whine whineey whine whine,,,,

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The best thing about all the whining is that youare going to have to keep it up for at least 3 years.
I never get sick of hearing RWNJ whining.
Whine away.
Whine whineey whine whine,,,,
Im a left winger dude. I advocate for death taxes, bans on private education, introduction of wealth taxes and governments being able to print money to provide government services rather then sell bonds.

want to try again with a better argument now?

Last edited:
Im a left winger dude. I advocate for death taxes, bans on private education, introduction of wealth taxes and governments being able to print money to provide government services rather then sell bonds.

want to try again with a better argument now?
If you're against the minimum wage increase you're not really a lefty

The people being put at risk were sources and informants, at risk from the US Government, who the expose was targeting.
It's the same BS argument Howard used.
The same twisted "logic" which puts drug addicts in prison, destroys their lives and others, to protect them from harm.
Like shooting and killing the guy with the butter knife to prevent him self harming.
That *ed half arsed "logic".

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The people being put at risk were sources and informants, at risk from the US Government, who the expose was targeting.
It's the same BS argument Howard used.
The same twisted "logic" which puts drug addicts in prison, destroys their lives and others, to protect them from harm.
Like shooting and killing the guy with the butter knife to prevent him self harming.
That ******ed half arsed "logic".

ummm that doesn't really make sense, it was US Government information that was leaked.

Oh it's flawed but too late to do anything about it

I mean you voted for it last year in opposition

Burke also mentioned on Sky this morning that it was a $7 billion dollar contract

Amazing how they can find the money to come up with new ways to let the job providers leech money and punish people on welfare.....

ummm that doesn't really make sense, it was US Government information that was leaked.
And, the people at risk who were allegedly exposed by wikileaks were the informants and whistle blowers. The leakees, The ones who blew the whistle on the US actions.
Do you think they were at risk from wikileaks?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
If you're against the minimum wage increase you're not really a lefty
Except i am a left winger. I support the reason for a minimum wage. I.e. redirecting wealth from the rich to the poor. i just disagree with the mechanism cos i know it wont work anywhere near as effectively as straight out welfare redistribution and it risks making the poor worse off if it creates a wage spiral or increases unemployment.

Except i am a left winger. I support the reason for a minimum wage. I.e. redirecting wealth from the rich to the poor. i just disagree with the mechanism cos i know it wont work anywhere near as effectively as straight out welfare redistribution and it risks making the poor worse off if it creates a wage spiral.
Welfare redistribution was never on the table
Wages aren't driving inflation

Come up with new excuses

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Thank god, I mean thank Thor

There's no place for 2000 year old fanfiction garbage being shoved down the throats of kids in schools
Only problem is last time this happened very few schools chose qualified secular welfare support over chaplains due cost.

Chaplains are cheap as chips with all the tax breaks for and the fact they paid next to nothing. They costs the school $20k per year. For a qualified secular psychologist or degree qualified worker you’re looking at closer to $100k pa.

So I don’t expect a massive reduction in the use of chaplains in cash strapped schools. The truth is to remove the rot of hard core religious brainwashing from this country we need to end the tax subsidies and special status for religions that allow them to undercut secular services in so many areas of society.

Good to see that posters on here still support the cultural genocide that some would dare to call “progress”.

And for clarification, what I mean by “cultural genocide“ is the fact that you continue to support the ignorance of history, culture, philosophy and anything else worth learning about, which you demonstrate by these very words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back