Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

#24.png

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Did you watch this? Ive read Phillipou was best on
Yeah I watched it.

He was best on, but not by miles. His best moments were very impressive though. Spin out of a pack for a goal, contested marks, picking up ground balls from his shoelaces at pace etc.

bigger mids coming to the fore of late.

Sheezel has got the afterburners on with 37 disposals last game and now 33 and 3 goals on the weekend, Cam McKenzie 35, 6 tackles and a goal, Phillipou doing some real game breaking stuff and also Will Ashcroft having it 51 times for good measure.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
bigger mids coming to the fore of late.

Sheezel has got the afterburners on with 37 disposals last game and now 33 and 3 goals on the weekend, Cam McKenzie 35, 6 tackles and a goal, Phillipou doing some real game breaking stuff and also Will Ashcroft having it 51 times for good measure.
Sheezel and Ashcroft aren't big mids are they? Ashcroft is like 180cm and Sheezel is a 185cm small forward.

Phillipou on the other hand should be right I our wheelhouse.

Sheezel and Ashcroft aren't big mids are they? Ashcroft is like 180cm and Sheezel is a 185cm small forward.

Phillipou on the other hand should be right I our wheelhouse.
Sheezel looks another Perkins to me and at 185 and capable overhead and can hit the scoreboard should be right in our wheelhouse.

Agree Phillipou looks a monster, I just added Ashcroft because he’s being stupidly productive wherever he goes.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
What's Elijah Hewett like? Inside or outside?

He is listed at 185cm so he could potentially hit 188/88kg at least.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Sheezel looks another Perkins to me and at 185 and capable overhead and can hit the scoreboard should be right in our wheelhouse.

Agree Phillipou looks a monster, I just added Ashcroft because he’s being stupidly productive wherever he goes.
Yeah, 185cm with pace fits our needs very well.

Phillipou looks like he might end up growing to 195cm though.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

there's a bit of daylight growing between Sheezel and the next player on my list at this stage, and every week that gap gets larger.

Perhaps a tactic is Sheezel at our first, wait to see where a Davey bid comes in and if it's early then look at what a F1 can get us to land a couple more this year and who's on the board still.

there's a bit of daylight growing between Sheezel and the next player on my list at this stage, and every week that gap gets larger.

Perhaps a tactic is Sheezel at our first, wait to see where a Davey bid comes in and if it's early then look at what a F1 can get us to land a couple more this year and who's on the board still.
Let's not trade our F1. You were advocating doing that last year and look how badly that would have been if we did.

F1 should only be on the table for established stars and we're not at that level yet.

When on earth did being ~ 6'2" qualify a player as a small forward?
Usually means they're agile crumbing and creative around goal, usually with a bit of foot speed.

Then you have a 6'2 KPP in Alec Waterman just to confuse the issue 🤣

Let's not trade our F1. You were advocating doing that last year and look how badly that would have been if we did.

F1 should only be on the table for established stars and we're not at that level yet.
I don't mind trading it if we're trying to trade in for another top 8ish pick this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit like how Charlie Cameron the 'small' forward is ~ 6'1" and very good overhead?
Cameron is all the things I said + good overhead.

Waterman is medium pace, more solid, not great at gathering the ball below knee level, and has the agility of a freight train, but can lead up, take an overhead mark and is a pretty accurate kick from a set shot. Has more in common with Peter Wright than Walla despite his height.

Also I think 6'3 is the mid-point for "small" and "tall" in terms of anywhere on the ground.

Perkins and Redman are 6'3, Guelfi and Durham 6'2, Shiel, Ham, Hobbs, Caldwell and Waterman are 6'1. 🤷‍♀️

Hurley, Francis, Baldwin, Laverde, Cutler, Langford, Stringer, Martin are the 6'5 sort of height.

It's weird thinking about it in the old scale 🤣

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
When on earth did being ~ 6'2" qualify a player as a small forward?
6 foot 2 is 188cm

Sheezel is 6'1" but your point remains, Luke Breust is considered a small forward and he is 184cm. It depends probably more on their style of play then their exact height (I.e crumbing or marking type)

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich

Waterman is medium pace, more solid, not great at gathering the ball below knee level, and has the agility of a freight train, but can lead up, take an overhead mark and is a pretty accurate kick from a set shot. Has more in common with Peter Wright than Walla despite his height.

Also I think 6'3 is the mid-point for "small" and "tall" in terms of anywhere on the ground.

Perkins and Redman are 6'3, Guelfi and Durham 6'2, Shiel, Ham Hobbs, Caldwell are 6'1. 🤷‍♀️

Hurley, Francis, Baldwin, Laverde, Cutler, Langford, Stringer, Martin are the 6'5 sort of height.

6'0 is 183cm
6'1 is 185cm
6'2 is 188 cm
6'3 is 190-191cm is.

Just for reference

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Perkins and Redman are 6'3, Guelfi and Durham 6'2, Shiel, Ham, Hobbs, Caldwell and Waterman are 6'1. 🤷‍♀️

When you read it in Feet-Inches it definitely throws your perspective out a bit.

We're talking about a KPP in Laverde being undersized at 6'4" because the new breed of KPF's are around 6'8".

A bit like when GAJ was called the 'little' master despite being taller than the average Australian male.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

fair.
Though the Pies did trade pick 2 and it hasn't really been a disaster (handy having Daicos as a blow softener)

I do believe this is a blip year though. Combination of injuries to fwd line, failed tweaks to the system and a ridiculously tough draw have hurt.
but as you say, can be a high risk approach.

6'0 is 183cm
6'1 is 185cm
6'2 is 188 cm
6'3 is 190-191cm is.

Just for reference
I was using 2.5 as a rough multiplier, I think technically it's 2.56 or something. So yeah.

Even adjusting the conversion the 187-188cm mark is still the midpoint.

When you read it in Feet-Inches it definitely throws your perspective out a bit.

We're talking about a KPP in Laverde being undersized at 6'4" because the new breed of KPF's are around 6'8".

A bit like when GAJ was called the 'little' master despite being taller than the average Australian male.
They're all somewhere between tall, stupidly tall, and ridiculously tall. Land of the giants indeed.

fair.
Though the Pies did trade pick 2 and it hasn't really been a disaster (handy having Daicos as a blow softener)

I do believe this is a blip year though. Combination of injuries to fwd line, failed tweaks to the system and a ridiculously tough draw have hurt.
but as you say, can be a high risk approach.
They could have had Callaghan/Andrew and Daicos though.

Also it makes things a bit easier to understand when you look at Francis and realise hey that kid is not just tall but actually really tall. And when you've got that much body to lug around with you then building up your fitness base would actually be kind of hard at the best of times? Makes you realise what a small percentage of the population you're looking at for a talent pool really. And then trying to pick the most athletically gifted ones out of that tiny pool.

Like you think of the tallest person you know and they're mostly all that height or taller, generally speaking.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Also it makes things a bit easier to understand when you look at Francis and realise hey that kid is not just tall but actually really tall. And when you've got that much body to lug around with you then building up your fitness base would actually be kind of hard at the best of times? Makes you realise what a small percentage of the population you're looking at for a talent pool really. And then trying to pick the most athletically gifted ones out of that tiny pool.

Like you think of the tallest person you know and they're mostly all that height or taller, generally speaking.

As an amusing sidenote; something like 0.07% of the American population are in the NBA. If you're 7ft (or above) it's closer to 10% chance you're in the NBA.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
They could have had Callaghan/Andrew and Daicos though.
It was a case study in the more reckless of F1 trades too though.
I think it was 2x 2nds & a 3rd for an F1 when they were yet to get to the draft and McInnes was likely bid. seemed the odder of all their moves when it already looked like they were hitting a rebuild.

For us, I'd weigh it up in terms of can you sell it high after the Davey bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back