Review 2022 AFLW Draft - Winners and losers, re-do the draft, who won?

How To Watch
The 2022 NAB AFLW Draft will be broadcast live, free and exclusively on womens.afl and the AFL Women's app from 7pm on Wednesday, June 29.

Hopefully the live stream will be in here:

Have a go at tipping the first round - the winner gets a 12 month Premium Platinum membership (no ads!) Entries close before the first pick is called.
The Inaugural BigFooty Official AFLW Draft Tipping Competition

I'll update the spreadsheet above on the night, with the names of each new AFLW player. (I still need to add the player names columns but it'll be there!)

If you would like to embed a copy of this on your board you can use the code below:
Code:
[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]1C4Rc0blxxymI5RFAacafqFRx5TebaR1K7rTTH0MfGcU[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

Probably not changing the draft age then.

They’ll have reduced training loads and support networks to help them prioritise schooling and then join the full program when they graduate

Pie 4 Life PMBangers do you guys have a top 5-10 prospects for each state yet?
I think Vic has been done to death and most have the same five but for the rest... and not where I necessarily think they will go (or even if for mature-agers) but where I rate them

SA:
Hannah Ewings
Sarah Goodwin
Keeley Kustermann
Kiera Mueller
Sachi Syme
Lana Schwerdt
Amelie Borg
Ellie Kellock
Jess Bates
Shelby Smith
Isabelle Starmer
Alana Lishmund
Ella Little

WA:
Ella Roberts
Lauren Wakfer*
Abbygail Bushby
Jaide Britton
Madeleine Scanlon
Emily Elkington
-- Expect to get drafted above --
Tarni Golisano
Aisha Wright
Mylee Leitch
Jade Briggs
Bella Mann
Hayley Corlett

QLD:
Alana Gee
Imogen Evans
Jasmyn Smith
Charlotte Mullins
Ella Smith
Kadie Fletcher
Kiara Hillier
Ava Seton
Christine Watson

NSW-ACT:
Fleur Davies
Cynthia Hamilton
Zara Hamilton
Jemima Wrigley
Dakota Mason
Emily Eaves
Olivia Cicolini
Eleanor Bishop
Asha Turner Funk
Teagan Germech

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
So, if Davies has nominated NSW, does that mean the Swans draft is just going to be Davies and the two Hamiltons, or is it more complicated than that? The two signings yesterday would put them at 27 players, wouldn't it? So, the first round shrinks back a bit.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
So, if Davies has nominated NSW, does that mean the Swans draft is just going to be Davies and the two Hamiltons, or is it more complicated than that? The two signings yesterday would put them at 27 players, wouldn't it? So, the first round shrinks back a bit.
I think they'll go for Dakota Mason as an Academy girl, better for optics and the gap between her and Zara probably isn't so dramatic that Zara is clearly better.

With Fleur, it's been GWS I contact woth her to get her in the NSW pool, so that may ward Sydney off, plus they've got plenty of Rucks on their list after the pre signings

GIANTS seem pretty confident she slips to them given the Swans picked up multiple rucks. If I was the Swans I’d go bugger it and draft her, but who knows if the sides have any unwritten agreements.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
GIANTS seem pretty confident she slips to them given the Swans picked up multiple rucks. If I was the Swans I’d go bugger it and draft her, but who knows if the sides have any unwritten agreements.
"Oi nah you're already taking Cynthia don't be dogs"

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
GIANTS seem pretty confident she slips to them given the Swans picked up multiple rucks.

Another ruck is a need for us still I would think as the Swans plan on using Lexi Hamilton as a Key Defender mainly.

If I was the Swans I’d go bugger it and draft her, but who knows if the sides have any unwritten agreements.

Hope we do, but might depend on what we have lined up in terms of players from other states and what we view as list needs in the end.

FoopyNerd

Debutant
Jan 23, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
If I was the Swans I’d go bugger it and draft her
Even beyond Fleur, bringing in an out-of-state girl puts it in the mind of others for future drafts. Plus maybe Fleur has 05/06-born QLD friends she can convince to come down. Feels like too many positives to not take her.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Even beyond Fleur, bringing in an out-of-state girl puts it in the mind of others for future drafts. Plus maybe Fleur has 05/06-born QLD friends she can convince to come down. Feels like too many positives to not take her.
She has an 05/06 sister to go along woth any friends, like the Hamiltons you can have a spine of Davies!

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

The signing of Cavanagh was as a rookie signing as she is coming from Rugby. Still need to draft Beruldsen and Mitchell so we'll use at least 6 picks. So currently at 24 players.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The signing of Cavanagh was as a rookie signing as she is coming from Rugby. Still need to draft Beruldsen and Mitchell so we'll use at least 6 picks. So currently at 24 players.
Why do you need to draft them? Have you hit a max number of open-age signings or something?

Also, rookies count towards the 30 in the AFLW. The only outside the list players are inactive players.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Why do you need to draft them? Have you hit a max number of open-age signings or something?

Also, rookies count towards the 30 in the AFLW. The only outside the list players are inactive players.

Beruldsen and Mitchell haven't nominated for draft previously, so can't be over-age signings, they have to be drafted

13 open age + 10 AFLW + 1 DFA + 1 Rookie = 25 + have to draft Beruldsen and Mitchell = 27, which leaves 3 spots remaining

yes rookies count to the 30 maximum of players on lists

Brad Bobson

Cancelled
Mar 20, 2022
AFL Club
Essendon
QLD:
Alana Gee
Imogen Evans
Jasmyn Smith
Charlotte Mullins
Ella Smith
Kadie Fletcher
Kiara Hillier
Ava Seton
Christine Watson
Agree with Gee at one, but IMO, overall stats and performances would have E Smith & Mullins next…especially given Lions academy didn’t have the depth of GC so didn’t have the support the GC girls did. Would also have Seton much higher, she can really break games open. Obviously GC have first two Qld picks anyway.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Guess we have Pick 1 sorted

Last edited:
Back