U18 Champs South Australia vs Allies, Thebarton Oval, Sunday June 19 @ 1.30pm (stream on AFL.com.au)

Who wins?

• South Australia

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • The Allies

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

U18 Champs - SA vs Allies
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

Game 1: South Australia vs Allies, Thebarton Oval, Sunday June 19 @ 1.30pm​

TEAMS​

South Australia
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 13.52.45.png

Allies
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 13.52.56.png

BROADCAST​

Live Stream:

Replay:

More info may appear here: U18s - AFL.com.au

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey dumb questions but does anyone know if a replay of the game will be available on the AFL website, or was it just a one off stream?

They can always select him with their pick if they really want him. Just cant match a bid inside 40
They would have to go with their first and take him in the top 5, I don’t see how he lasts to the second round.

Would think he becomes very attractive to finals playing teams with teens picks if he’s still there

SA vs Allies Player Notes

Scrappy game in windy conditions. SA ended up winning by 37 points after a dominant 2nd and last quarter with the wind advantage. Lots of fumbling and missed kicks didn’t make it all that appealling to watch but there was a bit to take away for a number of potential draftees.

SA

Matteas Phillipou - Arguably one of the best on ground. Clean on the ground and made the most of his posession. His overhead marking stood out as well as his breakaway pace. Kicked 2 goals from 25 odd disposals.

Isaac Keeler - Kicked 4.1 and handed off another. Competed well in the air and at ground level. His Ruckwork and follow up was also impressive when he rotated through the midfield.

Adam D’Aloia - Tough and physical. Didn’t get a heap of the footy (around 15 disposals), but probably would’ve had more tackles than anyone on the ground. One of those defence first types who will make the opposition earn every touch.

Harry Lemmy - disappointing again. Just didn’t have much influence. Kicked one and may have missed another. Yet to see much contested work from him. Had one passage of play in the 3rd where he picked up a ground ball and fired off a handball. Was pretty impressive agility for a guy his size.

Billy Dowling - Industrious. Does all the natural footy things right. Finds the footy, tackles hard and does all the team things. Could see him becoming a late season top 30 bolter in the same way Powell was.

Jakob Ryan - Played a good game across half back. Pretty clean when others were fumbly. Kicking was a bit hit and Miss which resulted in a few turnovers.

Max Michalanney - Controlled the backline in the air and by foot. Probably one of the best on the ground. Shame he isn’t a genuine key defender, more a third tall. Took a couple of really neat intercept marks today.

Kelsey Rypstra - good game across half forward. Cracked in with real zest, and did the same when he didn’t have the footy. Stressed out the opposition defenders with his pressure. Used his hands to setup a couple of shots on goal and kicked one himself.

Archie Lovelock - Backed up after the trial game with another good game through the midfield and across half forward. Kicked a couple of goals and had an impact with around 15-16 disposals. Doesn’t seem like the type who will get 30+ disposals, but he makes every touch count.

Alex Holt - underager who looked to have really good decision making and vision. Played across half back, had a number of intercepts and had some beautiful long kicks to advantage.

Allies

Angus Anderson - Just a pure footballer. Playing as an overager he rarely made a mistake. Still in the Sydney academy even though he didn’t get picked up last year. Loves the physical stuff but also has neat skill when he finds the footy on the outside. Had a good balance between inside/outside attack/defensive side to his game. Can’t see him not getting picked up.

Lachlan Cowan - Found plenty of the pill across half back in the first half but moved up into the midfield at stages. Looks classy and deliberate in everything he does. Took a couple of nice marks in the first half. Hit a couple of really nice kicks but also fluffed one that nearly resulted in an opposition goal. Was a bit hit and Miss with his handballing.

Jason Gilbee - Particularly good in the first half with a few nice link up plays and intercept posessions. Always looks to kick long which is what you want for an attacking half back. Tackles hard and seemed to have good intensity.

Harry Rowston - kicked 2 maybe even 3 goals playing forward but also looked to have an impact when playing midfield. Looks a little panicked at times around the ball resulting in rushed disposal particularly by hand.

Jasper Fletcher - Looks a sure bet on a wing. Brisbane Academy player. Kicked one and missed one but works so hard up and down the wing and understands how to hold his width (much like Langdon at the Dee’s). Short kicking was good but long kicking he seemed to blaze away a bit.

Anthony Munkara - disappointing game. Just couldn’t get involved and when he was he didn’t have much space, often resulting in rushed posession. Had one passage in the last quarter where he turned 3 defenders inside out but then burnt the inside 50 by kicking out on the full. Was hoping to see more.

Jed Walter - underage GC academy full forward. Kicked a couple and looked a natural forward. Powerful and physical but also showed some good ground level skill. Looked a lump of a kid considering he is underage. Will be one to watch next year!

Tom McCallum - repelled a number of forward entries. Also beat Lemmy one on one a few times. Body positioning really good, and does the defensive basics right. Not sure if he is tall enough to be a key defender at AFL level though.

Seth Campbell - zippy. Kicked a couple and missed one. Pushes up into the midfield to provide an option but gets back into the forward line to be a crumbing option. Looks as though he has bulked up over the last 6 weeks.
Some of my comments above ☝️

They would have to go with their first and take him in the top 5, I don’t see how he lasts to the second round.

Would think he becomes very attractive to finals playing teams with teens picks if he’s still there
He definitely looked the goods today. I wouldn't mind him at the pies. But I'm not too picky as long as its a tall.

Either you’ve got some wires crossed or I’m missing something?

You can’t match bids on ngas inside the top 40 picks.

Keelers a dead certainty to go inside the top 40.

I've definitely missed that one then, which absolutely stinks to high heaven after JUH was taken just like that. Talk about bad timing of rule changes and to be honest should never have been that way originally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little mention of Fletcher here. Did he not get involved much?
Played his role well and ended up with a couple of shots on goal and a behind. Probably didn’t get his run and carry side of his game going as much as he did in the academy game a few weeks back. Still looked good with ball in hand and worked hard to provide an outlet when the allies were coming out of defence. Layed a couple of nice tackles today, which showed his defensive effort too.

I've definitely missed that one then, which absolutely stinks to high heaven after JUH was taken just like that. Talk about bad timing of rule changes and to be honest should never have been that way originally.

It happened because so many people got mad that we could match a bid on JUH.

Funny how the world works sometimes!

But back to Keeler, no doubting he is a top 10 talent, just a matter if he can apply himself as he can drift at times. Good start today, one of the best on the ground.

Others have covered most of this game, but...

SA's bigger names stepped up when needed. This game did nothing to change my opinion that Phillipou and Keeler are well entrenched in the top 10. And I wasn't particularly concerned with anything Lemmey did, or didn't do. He showed signs of his ability. He'll put it all together in one of these games and dominate.

Dowling was just his usual self in the middle, he keeps racking up the touches and looked good. D'Aloia had his moments and was strong defensively, still not sure he's quite first round material but he's AFL quality.

Of the lesser names, Archie Lovelock had another good game spending time across half forward. He can be dangerous around the goal. Just one of those guys who will consistently get you 15 touches and a goal. Jaiden Magor was good too in a similar position, despite his best football being played in the middle. Kelsey Rypstra was always buzzing around. Jake Walker keeps on impressing me as a mostly unheralded prospect, I think he has a lot to work with.

Phoenix Foster was also good, particularly his work forward and around the ground. I'll be really interested to see how SA manages their KPP stocks over the remainder of the series. Any other year and Foster would probably be SA's starting full forward - and deservedly so given how he's started the year for Norwood. But Barnett will come straight back in, and Scully will get games. Then the question becomes whether they rotate and omit Lemmey for a game to give the others a chance, maybe Keeler plays higher up the ground. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Foster down back either, he has the athleticism, size and marking ability that will have clubs thinking about it.

Either you’ve got some wires crossed or I’m missing something?

You can’t match bids on ngas inside the top 40 picks.

Keelers a dead certainty to go inside the top 40.
No doubt. The knock on him is his fading in and out of games. Still a ways to go yet with the nationals that might unearth others that might push him back a bit expectation wise but fingers crossed he is there for what is likely to be a very early crows 2nd rounder, boy do we need someone like that to go with the youngsters we have

Others have covered most of this game, but...

SA's bigger names stepped up when needed. This game did nothing to change my opinion that Phillipou and Keeler are well entrenched in the top 10. And I wasn't particularly concerned with anything Lemmey did, or didn't do. He showed signs of his ability. He'll put it all together in one of these games and dominate.

Dowling was just his usual self in the middle, he keeps racking up the touches and looked good. D'Aloia had his moments and was strong defensively, still not sure he's quite first round material but he's AFL quality.

Of the lesser names, Archie Lovelock had another good game spending time across half forward. He can be dangerous around the goal. Just one of those guys who will consistently get you 15 touches and a goal. Jaiden Magor was good too in a similar position, despite his best football being played in the middle. Kelsey Rypstra was always buzzing around. Jake Walker keeps on impressing me as a mostly unheralded prospect, I think he has a lot to work with.

Phoenix Foster was also good, particularly his work forward and around the ground. I'll be really interested to see how SA manages their KPP stocks over the remainder of the series. Any other year and Foster would probably be SA's starting full forward - and deservedly so given how he's started the year for Norwood. But Barnett will come straight back in, and Scully will get games. Then the question becomes whether they rotate and omit Lemmey for a game to give the others a chance, maybe Keeler plays higher up the ground. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Foster down back either, he has the athleticism, size and marking ability that will have clubs thinking about it.
Nice summation. This part time watcher was ultra impressed with Phillipou and Keeler, a class above and would love either at the Blues, but doubt they will be in our draft range.

Foster also caught my eye, given we will be on the lookout for a swingman type, even better if he can ruck. Certainly stands out from that game as a “budget” prospect.

A couple of others did some nice things but also showed some flaws. They are my early watch.

Jed Walter will be fun to watch. He is a massive young kid and still has room to fill out.

Initially looked like he was lumbering around and didn’t have much athleticism, but in two particular passages of play he really put his head down and burnt off his opponent inside 50 in one and laid a big tackle in another.

Still pretty early but the Suns look to have found a beauty.

View attachment 1428488
Surprised that Rowston was listed in the best. You think GWS will draft him PMBangers ?
He's one of the 4 I think we could take, but I'm not sure if he's one we'd prioritise given we've already got a few inside contested mids that can fill a role down forward, and of the other two mid/fwds we'd look at in Curry and Lawrence, I'm not sure he's clearly better enough in either role for us to take him over them

He's one of the 4 I think we could take, but I'm not sure if he's one we'd prioritise given we've already got a few inside contested mids that can fill a role down forward, and of the other two mid/fwds we'd look at in Curry and Lawrence, I'm not sure he's clearly better enough in either role for us to take him over them

Is Posthuma the 4th?

Little mention of Fletcher here. Did he not get involved much?

Looked good, still looking like a top 25 prospect.

Keeler was BOG for me. The biggest thing about these games and in particular the talls is not just what they do but the signs they show. He finally put a game together for me that screamed top 10 pick. If he puts in more performances like this he will bolt up the order.

Lemmey looked like he didn't give a * and his positioning was terrible but it wasn't much of a lead up game. Looking very Jarrod Brander ish at the moment.

Back