Draft 2022 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Realistically though [Khoury's] best bet was to get prelisted like we saw with Deed, Barbakos, Anthony, so unfortunately it seems more unlikely than likely, especially without a combine invite
One positive for Khoury (and anyone else left off the combine invite list) is it's going to be a longer draft. My count right now, based on available list spots (with a few assumptions), is an 81 pick draft with 46 of those being Victorian teams. Unless something incredibly strange happens, one of those will be Ransom, so call it 45. That could be entirely players from the combine list, but there's quite a few players on that list that also seem like long-shots to get drafted.

From memory, I think the most NAB League players to get drafted in one year is 27. Teams are either going to have to go deeper there, draft more VFLW players (a lot of whom have already been pre-listed) or delisted AFLW players, which many teams could sign right now if they're good enough. I think the top end of the NAB League talent this year is better than most years, but how do you feel about the depth relative to other seasons? I've seen a lot less of the lower ranked teams. I don't really have an opinion on any of the Pios, for instance, other than ODD.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
If Sydney aren't trying to get a high Victorian prospect to nominate NSW ala Charlie Rowbottom I'd be SEVERELY disappointed
I am a draft prophet

Arbiter

Senior List
May 9, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Scenario: It's all for the money. Hurley and Ham are easily more talented than anybody they have signed. Only 17 years old, and they will be payed top tier $71,935 in their bank account for their first season. Unless somebody can tell me otherwise?

FoopyNerd

Debutant
Jan 23, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
Scenario: It's all for the money. Hurley and Ham are easily more talented than anybody they have signed. Only 17 years old, and they will be payed top tier $71,935 in their bank account for their first season. Unless somebody can tell me otherwise?
I reckon it would be even more than that. Sydney doesn't have any particularly marketable from my perspective. So all the extra cash for the photoshoots, sponsors, etc could be directed towards these types of players. Not to mention the AFL is surely getting them a bit on the side.

Arbiter

Senior List
May 9, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon it would be even more than that. Sydney doesn't have any particularly marketable from my perspective. So all the extra cash for the photoshoots, sponsors, etc could be directed towards these types of players. Not to mention the AFL is surely getting them a bit on the side.
So they are going to be set for life before they turn 21. And you look at Sydney's list, it's all VFLW players and AFLW fringe players. They have absolutely no big signings. So why not give that money to your first round picks.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've always been under the impression that draftees all get the same one-year contract, but I can find no evidence of such anywhere. One way or another, you'd imagine they'll be on at least tier-2 by their second season and, as FoopyNerd pointed out, likely to get considerable extra money from other sources. Whatever is being done to keep Rowbottom and Georgie Prespakis happy is probably similar to what will happen with Ham.

I will push back a little at the idea that it's all for the money. By choosing NSW, they have some control of their situation. Ham would have been likely to end up at Hawthorn had she nominated Victoria. Hurley would probably have gone around the Vic 4-7 mark and could have realistically ended up in a few places. Hurley is far more likely to play games straight away in the midfield for Sydney than playing for a Melbourne-based club. They also might prefer playing for Gowans rather than Goddard or Wood.

FoopyNerd

Debutant
Jan 23, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
They also might prefer playing for Gowans rather than Goddard or Wood.
I think this is a very underrated point. Gowans has coached an expansion side before, then been the mids coach at Collingwood where he assisted the game of Davey (likely a player Ham can model herself on) and Bonnici (likely a player Hurley can model herself on). So he has proven he can do it before. Now credit to Goddard who is a huge part of AFLW history, but maybe these girls preferred someone who has stayed at the high end of the system for the last few years.

Another consideration is that it would be easy for these girls to move back to Vic to a club they choose in a few years. As opposed to going to a Vic club in the draft now that won't be keen to deal them to another Vic club and certainly not for a low price either. More power in wanting to move state than wanting to move to a different club within your current state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arbiter

Senior List
May 9, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
I will push back a little at the idea that it's all for the money. By choosing NSW, they have some control of their situation. Ham would have been likely to end up at Hawthorn had she nominated Victoria. Hurley would probably have gone around the Vic 4-7 mark and could have realistically ended up in a few places. Hurley is far more likely to play games straight away in the midfield for Sydney than playing for a Melbourne-based club. They also might prefer playing for Gowans rather than Goddard or Wood.
Actually come to think of it you do have a point. Hawthorn's list isn't that much more impressive than Sydney's. But would Bec Goddard allow first year players top dollar (beware the moral code)? I doubt Sydney would care about that.

Carlton are in need of tall stock up forward. Is Bridie Hipwell their target with their first round pick?

We've played short for a while now. We have Serena Gibbs, Jess Good, Imogen Milford and Phoebe McWilliams up forward.

If anything we need another tall defender, a small forward and a lot of midfielders.

Arbiter

Senior List
May 9, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok that's it. I see nothing my team needs in logical sight of Pick 30. We might as well draft Essendon VFLW players starting off with Amelia Radford. Simone Nalder is probably the only logical ruck option left for Victoria, and I have liked Nat McDonald and Marianna Anthony's season so far. Belle Clarke is deffinately another option, she's been good down back.

All done and set to be released tomorrow. It's been a minute putting that together.

We've got the full profiles on each of the AFLW Draft Combine, a bunch of smaller ones on some across the country as Others to Watch, as well as my 23 for 2023.

As someone who was literally there when Goldsworthy said she was "definitely" nominating Victoria back at the champs, I am REALLY keen to know what the AFL is offering those players to nominate NSW-ACT now. It's one thing to go for Pick 1 for example (Ham), but to not have that carrot means there's a lot more going on behind the scenes.

Ransom nominating GC is less of a surprise given her relationship with her former coach, surprised it didn't happen last year TBH.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
As someone who was literally there when Goldsworthy said she was "definitely" nominating Victoria back at the champs, I am REALLY keen to know what the AFL is offering those players to nominate NSW-ACT now. It's one thing to go for Pick 1 for example (Ham), but to not have that carrot means there's a lot more going on behind the scenes.

Ransom nominating GC is less of a surprise given her relationship with her former coach, surprised it didn't happen last year TBH.

She just realised how good GWS is bruv nothing sus

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I'm surprised you're not being revived from the ED.
All i can say is, there's no reason to think Goldsworthy is a certainty to land at GWS and that has me very happy.

It's also just great that what loomed to be a bleak year draft wise in NSW has turned into one of the strongest top end pools in the country now, the top 5 are all girls you'd expect to go top 20 if the draft were national

FoopyNerd

Debutant
Jan 23, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
Surely Sydney would be wanting to reconsider the two mature-age girls now. The potential to walk away with Ham, Hurley, C.Hamilton, Goldsworthy and Fleur sounds too good. In saying that I don't know much about Beruldsen and Mitchell. Obviously, they won't backtrack on those girls now, but they may well be punching the air knowing what could have been.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Surely Sydney would be wanting to reconsider the two mature-age girls now. The potential to walk away with Ham, Hurley, C.Hamilton, Goldsworthy and Fleur sounds too good. In saying that I don't know much about Beruldsen and Mitchell. Obviously, they won't backtrack on those girls now, but they may well be punching the air knowing what could have been.
It has gone from 'Sydney might wind up passing with a first round pick' to 'Sydney needs somebody to invent an injury so they can free up more draft picks'. It'd be a really bad look to walk away from Beruldsen and Mitchell now, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see somebody go onto the inactive list before the draft to free up spots. Unless we're past the deadline for that too, which may be the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back