The coalition will never win the federal government again.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
We agree. Penny won't be PM
A potential leader in the wings can't and won't wait 15 years unless they are in their 30s which means they aren't "in the wings"
what else do you call enshrining positions based on race?
If Penny Wong was chosen as a cabinet member of the Albanese administration, she might be a long shot. But she is in the lower house.

We already had one prime Minister born in Chile, that was our 3rd or 4th ever prime Minister.

Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Do people in here genuinely believe that the LNP will not return to power at some stage in the future?
If Big Footy had been around when the DLP broke away from the ALP, or after Whitlam was sacked they would have sworn the ALP was finished. I give the ALP minimum 2 terms, and after that who knows? One thing is certain, the LNP will rebound.

Its the crash test dummy concept of Leader. Dutts will be himself and then someone will come to represent the paradigm shift
No leader of the Liberal Opposition who has come in after an election loss has gone on to win the next election, so Dutton will know he is a stop gap measure

If Big Footy had been around when the DLP broke away from the ALP, or after Whitlam was sacked they would have sworn the ALP was finished. I give the ALP minimum 2 terms, and after that who knows? One thing is certain, the LNP will rebound.

How?

Their "base" is mostly the over 55's.
The Lib strategist on the ABC election coverage made a very good point on election night...it is going to be very hard for the LNP to turn voters into conservatives if they have nothing to conserve. You would think that would start with job security and home ownership, but both have been completely destroyed by the LNP.
The LNP would have to do a complete U-turn in ideology to have any chance of getting reelected.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood

Never say never indeed. If LNP ended up in power for three out of the next 28 years (as the ALP were between 1955 and 1983), I'd be OK with that.

They will definitely need to do some soul searching though (and find one, ha!).

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
How?

The Lib strategist on the ABC election coverage made a very good point on election night...it is going to be very hard for the LNP to turn voters into conservatives if they have nothing to conserve. You would think that would start with job security and home ownership, but both have been completely destroyed by the LNP.
The LNP would have to do a complete U-turn in ideology to have any chance of getting reelected.

Eventually enough people will tire of the new government for the Liberals to return to office however the question will be what form will that future Liberal government be and it might take the form of a new political party or grouping.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, I think the Liberals will get back in power in a coalition, but will it be with the Nationals?

It's just increasingly difficult seeing them winning back inner-city seats in Mel/Bris/Syd/Per while continuing to bow to the Qld LNP, who make up 40% of the HoR party.

It's not like James Paterson or Michael Sukkar is going to convince Dutton to change the LNP's hard-line approach.

The LNP will go at least another election pro-coal. Then I predict they will ditch the Nats at the next election because the Nats can't/won't let coal go. Then they might be a chance of a separated coalition rather than the current formal one where the Queenslanders have too much power and it cost them 10+ seats.

If the independents perform well over the next 2 parliaments, then perhaps this is the last single-party Govt we'll ever see?

How?

How did the ALP rebound in the past. How does any government tossed out with a massive swing against rebound? It happens and it happens all the time. And it won't be a new coalition; the existing coalition will reinvent themselves. It will probably require a complete overhaul of personnel, or at least those closely associated with Morrison, but it will happen, and probably take a minimum of two election losses. It's a bit like an AFL football team.

Where is the evidence that the LNP's ""base" is mostly the over 55's"? That's a bit like me saying the ALP's base is working class unionists.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Eventually enough people will tire of the new government for the Liberals to return to office however the question will be what form will that future Liberal government be and it might take the form of a new political party or grouping.
And that's why I think the Labor party will only last 6-9 years or 2-3 terms.

Again..... Anthony Albanese could have the charisma or personality of a dead moth, he is better than Dutton.

Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, I think the Liberals will get back in power in a coalition, but will it be with the Nationals?

It's just increasingly difficult seeing them winning back inner-city seats in Mel/Bris/Syd/Per while continuing to bow to the Qld LNP, who make up 40% of the HoR party.

It's not like James Paterson or Michael Sukkar is going to convince Dutton to change the LNP's hard-line approach.

The LNP will go at least another election pro-coal. Then I predict they will ditch the Nats at the next election because the Nats can't/won't let coal go. Then they might be a chance of a separated coalition rather than the current formal one where the Queenslanders have too much power and it cost them 10+ seats.

If the independents perform well over the next 2 parliaments, then perhaps this is the last single-party Govt we'll ever see?

The independents will be interesting because the well documented ones like Ryan have taken a pay cut to step in because there was no other credible alternative. Not sure how long she and other talented candidates would want to be having a pay cut for.

Then on the complete opposite end of the spectrum you get grifting thug real estate salesmen from the UAP essentially doing nothing and stealing a wage.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
The independents will be interesting because the well documented ones like Ryan have taken a pay cut to step in because there was no other credible alternative. Not sure how long she and other talented candidates would want to be having a pay cut for.

Then on the complete opposite end of the spectrum you get grifting thug real estate salesmen from the UAP essentially doing nothing and stealing a wage.
Pay cut, but big benefits/bonuses, living allowances etc.

A politician of any persuasion oozing class is an oxymoron
If you are talking about current Liberal or National Pollies, I agree.

Fred Daly was an old school pollie who oozed class.

Achy Blakey Heart

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Celtics,Red Sox,Patriots,Dragons,
And that's why I think the Labor party will only last 6-9 years or 2-3 terms.

Again..... Anthony Albanese could have the charisma or personality of a dead moth, he is better than Dutton.
Says a lot about Albo....given Scomo was preferred prime minister most of the last 3 years.

If you are talking about current Liberal or National Pollies, I agree.

Fred Daly was an old school pollie who oozed class.
Nah. They are on par with used car salesmen, and real estate agents. Full of s**t. At least real estate agents are bound by codes of conduct and can be sued for lying.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Do people in here genuinely believe that the LNP will not return to power at some stage in the future?
I'd never say never but I certainly can't see them doing it with the current cattle.

And if this election told us one thing, it's that time is surely up for the coalition agreement. Very different world now, to when that agreement was forged.

Back